VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

Any body out there own a Corvan ?

CorvanDann
    CorvanDann

Number of posts : 35
    Registration date : 2012-06-15

Any body out there own a Corvan ? Empty Any body out there own a Corvan ?

Post by CorvanDann Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:09 am

After going through the motor, transaxle and tranny on my Corvan 95 I got everything installed yesterday and it runs great but I need to pull the gas tank since it has been sitting since 1995, however someone has installed the later year model shifter which has the shift rod that goes through the gas tank,I removed the cover from the shifter under the floor and it has an elbow that doesnt look like it will go through the hloe in the tank. Guess i will go out and start pulling things apart until it comes out but some advice would be helpful. I will be posting some pictures later of the progress as it progresses. Thanks
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Any body out there own a Corvan ? Empty Re: Any body out there own a Corvan ?

Post by G-Man Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:49 am

Sorry never own one, but they are cool. Always liked you could have a bench seat up front. I have heard about the linkage threw the tank, but have never seen it
    CorvanDann
    CorvanDann

Post by CorvanDann Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:50 am

Bench seat makes it nice for snuggling with your lady while cruising or sleeping if necessary.
    Corvanman

Number of posts : 76
    Registration date : 2010-03-06

Post by Corvanman Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:57 pm

I have a early '63 Corvan. Early '63 and earlier the shift rod goes under the tank and the shifter comes out of the vertical panel under the seat. Later shifters came through the floor, and those went through the tank. Not dising this place, i like it some cool people here, but for info check out Corvairforum.com or corvaircenter forum. Im no expert but perhaps i can help you with questions, shoot me a pm if ya want.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:04 pm

Corvair people have their own world out there,,,,,,and they have their own websites that can tell you everything you would ever need to know about them........
    CorvanDann
    CorvanDann

Any body out there own a Corvan ? Empty Figured it out

Post by CorvanDann Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:46 pm

The previous owner installed a later shifter and fuel tank, was no big deal when I got started taking it apart., New bottom welded in tank and back together and running great.
    Corvanman

Post by Corvanman Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:55 am

Good to hear its driving.

Post by Guest Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:05 am

They are cool vans and trucks. How are they on the road? What kind of power do they put out?
    Corvanman

Post by Corvanman Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:07 am

Gotta watch the winds like most vans. Other than that its fine. Mines got a '66 110hp engine in mine. It'll keep up with traffic.

Post by Guest Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:14 am

Thanks Corvan, I always thought they were cool. I figured they would ride fairly well with the low center of gravity. They must be lighter as well.

Joel
    CorvanDann
    CorvanDann

Post by CorvanDann Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:39 pm

Mine has the original 80hp truck motor but I have a 95hp motor in the shop for rebuild this winter and will go with a 3:55 or 3:23 transaxle to help with cruising the highway currently have the 3:89 transaxle and stepping up tire size for now. I have had it up to 70mph and it was screaming pretty good but didnt seem to mind it to much, cruising at 60 around the area is plenty good. I like watching the people trying to figue out what it is and those that do know give a thumbs up.
    Corvanman

Post by Corvanman Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:57 pm

A tachometer is a good idea. You should be able to run 3gran on the expressway constantly. I'm sure yours winds out quick with those short legs. Lol. I usuall shift around 3500, shifting to early builds heatair coolers like to be wound out a little. I'm not saying to beat on it just wait to shift.
    Corvanman

Post by Corvanman Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:58 pm

A tachometer will help with tuning as well.
    CorvanDann
    CorvanDann

Post by CorvanDann Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:08 pm

Thanks for the tip I will go qet one today, this is my first Corvan and I love it but it takes some getting use to not like my old Econoline or GMC, even handles different with the independant suspension, what is the max rpm's on these things?
    Corvanman

Post by Corvanman Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:18 pm

I forget. But 4grand is ok here and there, I believe on a older engine you don't want to go much past that, depending on condition you may not want to hit 4.

Make sure you have all the seals in the engine compartment, air will recirculate and cause the engine to run hot potentionaly. And listen for pinging they are easy to over time and detonate, not sure about that HP engine but ya may want to make sure you shouldn't be running premium gas to avoid detonation.
    CorvanDann
    CorvanDann

Post by CorvanDann Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:42 pm

Yep I have all new seals in the engine compartment and after my last trip I opened the engine compartment to check things out and was amazed at how cool it was in there I also run premium and a splash of Marvel Mystry oil for lubing the valves.Will post a picture of the engine compartment when I figure out how.
    CorvanDann
    CorvanDann

Post by CorvanDann Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:52 pm

Any body out there own a Corvan ? Sany2210
    CorvanDann
    CorvanDann

Post by CorvanDann Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:53 pm

Any body out there own a Corvan ? Sany2211
    Corvanman

Post by Corvanman Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:31 pm

Have ya since hooked up the pcv? Make sure you keep a spare fan belt in case its tossed, also replace a belt that has been tossed.
    Corvanman

Post by Corvanman Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:35 pm

Looks nice by the way. A electric fuel pump will help with vapor lock, even if only used to prime the carbs when hot.
    CorvanDann
    CorvanDann

Post by CorvanDann Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:40 pm

I have a spare belt and set of points and condenser but will use the Pertronics electronic module when I put the 95hp motor in this winter, the breather on the early Corvairs were simply a hose hanging below the motor as a breather I hooked up the breather tube coming out of the shroud by the fan to the hard vacuum tube going to the carburators and it ran like crap so I just put a hose on it and ran it out the back where the air exits the blower simular to evacuation tubes going to headers on a race motor

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:09 pm