VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

electricall gremlin?

Rayallen
    Rayallen

Number of posts : 648
    Registration date : 2011-06-27

electricall gremlin? Empty electricall gremlin?

Post by Rayallen Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:23 pm

im at a loss guys. Im finally ready to turn my new motor over but when i turn the key im getting nothing.

Heres what ive done so far. I tested the battery myself and took it to the auto parts store, read 13v good battery. Took my starter to the ap store and the same thing it kicked on just fine. left me assuming that the problem is the solenoid but ive tried three solenoids and im getting nothing. When my last solenoid went bad it was at least making a click noise but im not even getting that and the ones ive tried are brand new.

with the key turned to on im getting lights, wipers etc so the harness is getting power. i took my volt meter and the battery, alternator and the right side of the solenoid are getting 12.5-13 volts, but the left side of the solenoid which goes to the starter is reading a big fat zero. What the hell am i doing wrong?

As far as i know the battery cables are correct. postive cable from +terminal to the right side of the solenoid. the - term cable is grounded to the body. Why is the left side of the solenoids not getting power?

donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

electricall gremlin? Empty Re: electricall gremlin?

Post by donivan65 Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:08 pm

You need to isolate the problem,,,,,hook it all up,,,,,jump from one big terminal on the starter relay to the other big terminal with pliers or a jumper cable if you are afraid of a few sparks jumping at you,,,,,that will let you know if the battery, starter and battery cables are working,,,,,,if the starter cranks,,,,,jump the big terminal on the relay with the positive battery cable on it to one of those little terminals on it, you can take those little wires off it for this test,,,,if the starter cranks, you got a wiring problem going to the relay,,,,,so run the 2 tests, tell us what you find,,,,,,
    Rayallen
    Rayallen

Post by Rayallen Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:14 pm

im going to mess with it tomorrow and see what i can figure out. time to call it a night.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:45 pm

electricall gremlin? Ford_r15
    61econoline
    61econoline

Number of posts : 655
    Registration date : 2009-04-16

Post by 61econoline Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:13 pm

like the picture donivan shows above solenoid needs to be grounded,check that also
    Murdock
    Murdock

Number of posts : 313
    Registration date : 2010-12-29

Post by Murdock Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:15 pm

If you do find a bad solenoid, I switched over to a more modern style from the mid 80's, I like the posts on it better.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/BWD1/S5049/01931.oap?year=1985&make=Ford&model=E-150%2BEconoline&vi=1111239&ck=Search_01931_1111239_2527&pt=01931&ppt=C0330

Not sure what kind of charger you have but if you have one with a starting function you can hook it up directly to the starter and plug it in safely from afar. Also, not sure how old your cables are but you might want to check their resistance/capacitance if they are old, possibly replace them. Starters have a real low resistance, about 1/2 ohm, so it wouldn't take much resistance in the wire to take current away from it.
    Rayallen
    Rayallen

Post by Rayallen Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:46 am

Figured it out, thanks Donivan66.

I had everything wired up just fine, BUT did not have the solenoid itself grounded. I do not have the dog house in so the solenoid was just floating. I grounded it to the floor this morning and Wala something happened.

New problem though is the starter kept turning after I took the key out meaning the solenoid is bad. Which is most likely my falt considering I did not ground it in the 1st place....

Last edited by Rayallen on Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Rayallen
    Rayallen

Post by Rayallen Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:15 am

switched back to my old solenoid and the problem is fixed. Engine is trying to turn over and the starter is no longer freely spinning. Now to get this baby to run!
    fyrchief65
    fyrchief65

Number of posts : 9
    Registration date : 2010-10-12

electricall gremlin? Empty Electrical gremlin

Post by fyrchief65 Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:06 pm

Make sure your starter solenoid is grounded. I used Bed-liner on my doghouse and it would not turnover. Then it dawned on me a Ford solenoid must have a body ground. I ran a ground strap and problem solved. Worth a try, good luck.
    Rayallen
    Rayallen

Post by Rayallen Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:27 pm

fyrchief65 wrote:Make sure your starter solenoid is grounded. I used Bed-liner on my doghouse and it would not turnover. Then it dawned on me a Ford solenoid must have a body ground. I ran a ground strap and problem solved. Worth a try, good luck.

yep, read above. i figured out that was the problem last night and took care of it 1st thing this morning. thanks for the tip.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 12, 2024 9:44 pm