VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

Air in heater core

Buzzard
    Buzzard

Number of posts : 90
    Registration date : 2012-07-01

Air in heater core Empty Air in heater core

Post by Buzzard Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:07 pm

Help!!! installed a new lower radiator hose and now I cant get the air pocket out of the heater core. I cant remember how i did it the last time.Been up many nights ready post and getting ideas but could not find any post reguarding this concern.
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1306
    Registration date : 2009-06-13

Air in heater core Empty Re: Air in heater core

Post by Old Skool Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:16 pm

Open the valve,,, LOL~~~~~~~~~ if it is flowing, then the air will naturally get to the top of the radiator, out the cap and the water level will drop,,,, something I am missing here??? Radiators USUALLY mounted up higher than the engine for just that fact.IF NOT then the expansion tank at the very least.
    vic
    Buzzard
    Buzzard

Post by Buzzard Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:56 pm

Sorry Old School i did forgot some things,I have a 67 ext cargo and the heater core sits about the samr height as the radiator, when up to temp and thermostat is open i have very little pressure (ie the hose is soft can pinch it together)on the line going to the intake manifold, is there some way i can burp the system to get the air out of the heater box or is it just going like you said the air will work its way out. Heading to the Nats monday morn and i would like to try to get resolved by then
    HandiVanMan
    HandiVanMan

Number of posts : 1868
    Registration date : 2010-04-11

Post by HandiVanMan Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:13 pm

Does it have an expansion tank on the radiator?
    Buzzard
    Buzzard

Post by Buzzard Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:36 pm

No is doesnt, been kicking it around for a little while cause it really doesnt get over 210-215 sitting in traffic, it has org 240 three row radiator and a 17 inch flex fan i got off a mid ford with a/c that pulls huge air and just in case i have a pusher in front of radiator hooked up to a manual switch
    Henrik
    Henrik

Number of posts : 156
    Registration date : 2010-11-26

Post by Henrik Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:51 pm

would it help to jack the car up from one end?put heater on hot if you haven't done that yet.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:10 pm

Well, the waterpump sucks the coolant out of the heater core, so I would undo the hose at the waterpump, plug off the waterpump fitting, run the engine and see if the coolant comes out that hose to see if the heater core is not clogged up, the heater control valve closed or any air in the system,,,
    Buzzard
    Buzzard

Post by Buzzard Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:44 pm

Control valve was removed awhile ago, seems to be taking alittle antifreeze after warming up and sitting for a day. Im going to wait and try the disconnecting the hose after Nats, getting to close to leaving and dont want to push my luck till i get back. Thanks for all the advise. I have to thank G Man for telling me about this site after meeting him at Taz fest a couple of years ago. Once again thanks for all your feed backs

Post by Guest Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:21 pm

Careful of that Old Skool Veeks ... knows too much ... and wreaks havok worse than me ... and that's a compliment ...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 9:41 am