VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+2
HandiVanMan
Rayallen
6 posters

Big problem?

Rayallen
    Rayallen

Number of posts : 648
    Registration date : 2011-06-27

Big problem? Empty Big problem?

Post by Rayallen Tue May 29, 2012 6:29 pm

Shit did I screw up my perfectly good day and engine block. Good day at work and had time to go into the garage and finally put the new motor and tranny with rebuilt clutch back in the van. woo Hoo! I was one happy camper until I managed to over torque a bolt a snapped a piece of the cast iron block right off. What the hell do I do to fix or have this repaired? I can not use the clutch with out this. Pressure is applied to this bolt everytime you press the clutch.

What i broke was the bolt hole where the clutch rod attaches. The lock nut was still loose on the bolt so I figured the bolt was not all the way in the block and snap! Pics to show the damage. Talk about turning a great day bad with one quick moment.

Do I try welding it back together or Tap into the block and add more threads? Any ideas would be appreciated.

Big problem? 010
    Big problem? 011
    Big problem? 012

HandiVanMan
    HandiVanMan

Number of posts : 1868
    Registration date : 2010-04-11

Big problem? Empty Re: Big problem?

Post by HandiVanMan Tue May 29, 2012 6:45 pm

That's not good! Cast iron can be repaired but I don't know how it will stand up to the pressure of the clutch being pressed & depressed alot.
    Rayallen
    Rayallen

Post by Rayallen Tue May 29, 2012 6:50 pm

that is my concern as well. im thinking the best options are to tap some new threads into the cast iron to except the bolt or fabricate a peice of steel to hold the clutch and weld and or bolt it to the frame.

Man this sucks!
    jrinaman
    jrinaman

Number of posts : 890
    Registration date : 2011-03-11

Post by jrinaman Tue May 29, 2012 6:52 pm

not a big problem. i installed a motor once that had no provisions for clutch arm pivot. i simply fabricated a bracket and bolted it to bellhousing bolts. after i invented this quick fix, i found a factory bracket similar to mine in a junkyard.
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Tue May 29, 2012 7:19 pm

Think I'm with John on this one, fab something from the bell housing bolts and if needed an extra support up from the pan bolts using some spacers and longer bolts like a trans shift bracket.
    Rayallen
    Rayallen

Post by Rayallen Tue May 29, 2012 7:23 pm

thanks guys makes me feel a bit better that i have a option. A bracket it will be. obviuosly it will be stronger than the cast iron i managed to break. another delay in driving my van...

jrinaman
    jrinaman

Number of posts : 890
    Registration date : 2011-03-11

Post by jrinaman Tue May 29, 2012 8:55 pm

this bracket is on a chevy. bolts are 3 7/8" apart. Big problem? Clutch10Big problem? Clutch11Big problem? Clutch12
    jkr
    jkr

Number of posts : 1148
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by jkr Tue May 29, 2012 9:14 pm

a good stick weler and some cast rods will fix it as well. my block had a corner broken right off where the dowel pin is. just bolted the bellhousing to the engine block to make sure everything was in alignment and weldedd the outside first and then the inside too. had to grind a lot of the inside off but the guy who did it said it would never move and hasen't in 12,000 miles so far. weld the piece back on with a stud inside or drill and tap it later.
    67a 100 pickup
    67a 100 pickup

Number of posts : 1319
    Registration date : 2009-01-29

Post by 67a 100 pickup Tue May 29, 2012 11:06 pm

I'm with the other guys on making a plate to attach to the bellhousing bolts. Cast is finicky and usually likes to be preheated, welded, and cooled back down slowly in an oven to avoid cracking.
    Rayallen
    Rayallen

Post by Rayallen Tue May 29, 2012 11:56 pm

i agree, i read up alot on welding cast iron and i think its best to fab a bracket. ive already picked up a plate and hope to get it done this week. id consider welding it if pressure from the clutch was not constantly being applied to the weld spot,

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 11:38 pm