VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

2 posters

Dual Pattern 170?

Dual Pattern 170? Empty Dual Pattern 170?

Post by Guest Fri May 25, 2012 3:52 pm

I'm swapping the 144 out of my van for a 170. The motor I bought was sold to me as a 170 out of a 1970 Maverick. I was planning on bolting my original transmission up to the 170. Today I starting digging into it and the bellhousing off the 170 is much larger than the original off the 144.

Peeking behind the plate on the "170" it looks like there's mounting holes for the smaller bellhousing. I haven't pulled the flywheel yet so it's hard to say. I had assumed I could keep the flywheel and clutch off the "170".

Were there dual bolt patterns on the 170? The motor only has three freeze plugs so I'm assuming its a 170.

I've heard conflicting reports are flywheels balanced to the motor, or are they balanced independantly of the motor?

Does the flywheel need to be bolted up to the motor in a certain relation to the crankshaft?

This is my first motor swap and I kinda like the dive in over my head approach.

Also how thick are the clutch plates when new? How thin before the clutch should be replaced?

Dual Pattern 170? Empty Re: Dual Pattern 170?

Post by Guest Mon May 28, 2012 4:20 pm

Alright guys I could really use some help here.

I'm now leaning towards this motor being a 200, but theres still some things I'm confused about.

The motor has three freeze plugs, but a block casting code of C8DE 6015-A. Wouldn't this mean the motor is from 68 and should have 5 freeze plugs if it's a 200? Also I thought all the three freeze plug 200's only had one bolt pattern for the bellhousing.

In the midst of the confusion I figured I might as well clean the carb and bolt it on the motor. I got the carb clean and assembled, but the bolt spacing on the intake of this motor is larger than my old 144? If this were a 170 wouldn't it be the same?
    Econoline64

Number of posts : 12
    Registration date : 2011-03-07

Post by Econoline64 Mon May 28, 2012 7:09 pm

Everything I've read says 3 freeze plugs is a 144/170, BUT...

That casting number says 200...

WEIRD

http://classicinlines.com/SmallSixSpecs.asp#cast
    score602
    score602

Number of posts : 140
    Registration date : 2010-04-05

Post by score602 Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:27 pm

Went thru the same shit when I bought a freshly rebuilt 200 out of a 68 mustang to replace my shot 170.... My original bell housing would not fit on the 200, apparently the 68 200 was one of the years 2 bell housing patters were not used. Other 200 motors had both holes for small and big housings. I was pissed and what should have been a few hour swap turned into a few months of rebuilding the original 170....

Any way, chances are you have a 200 like I did..gotta love fords and their not so interchangeable parts!! Haa

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 11, 2024 4:59 am