VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

Lokar Throttle pedal...anyone with a part number???

born2late

Number of posts : 45
    Registration date : 2010-07-02

Lokar Throttle pedal...anyone with a part number??? Empty Lokar Throttle pedal...anyone with a part number???

Post by born2late Wed May 23, 2012 12:37 pm

I installed a lokar throttle cable and tried to adapt it to the original pedal assembly. It works OK but I need too much return spring to bring it back to idle every time. Makes it real uncomfortable to drive. Has anyone had luck with a lokar pedal? Part number?
    Scott
    Scott

Number of posts : 1651
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Lokar Throttle pedal...anyone with a part number??? Empty Re: Lokar Throttle pedal...anyone with a part number???

Post by Scott Wed May 23, 2012 1:48 pm

I used an off brand one that was made the same, but I used a Lokar cable. The cable setup I did took a lot of return spring too. It's working pretty good right now, but I'm planning on going back to the old pedal, and linkage.

Lokar Throttle pedal...anyone with a part number??? Empty Re: Lokar Throttle pedal...anyone with a part number???

Post by Guest Sat May 26, 2012 10:42 am

I don't have any pictures to show the fittings but I used a bicycle Brake/shifter cable. Works great. I found a few fittings in my friends garage with set screws.. Mounted one on the carb linkage and the other to the peddle assemebly through the front grill of the van. The fittings appear to have been electrical which makes sense because buddys dad is an electrician. They have set screws that are flat to pinch the cable. I went to the local bike shop and had them cut a cable housing to aprox 54 inches and a teflon coated cable about three feet longer. I fed the cable through the housing and then fed it through the grill into the engine compartment. I pinched the metal cable end under the stock cable clamp that is square with stopper tabs on the pedal end first. not to tight though or it will squish the metal cable end to much. i then put the cable portion into the set screw assemble i mounted to the pedal bracket. i then pinched it in the same style of stock clamp by the carb.I wish I could describe it better but it is square with a short stud. Its the original cable clamp. I used my foot to hold the peddal all the way up and pulled the cable tight and tighted the set screw on the carb linkage. and there you have it. I did this last year and got an entire summer out of it. eventually it became a bit tighter to push and began to stick a bit. time to change it. after the first time wearing out you will know the feeling when its getting worn long before you have problems. the first one wasnt a teflon coated and still lasted. this one is even smoother. i made an extra one for in the back. two cables an all hardware for four bucks. well worth it. no return problems at all. make sure you keep away from the exaust and have minimal bend in cable. I suck at typing but hope this helps. cheap and good answer. If you have any questions I would love to help. might be easier to just do that instead of trying to describe it better now. I can change my cable now for about 2 bucks and less than 15 mins total
    vmike

Number of posts : 3
    Registration date : 2009-05-14

Post by vmike Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:01 pm

Back in the 70s when I put the 340 in my 68, I used boat steering cables for the throttle and automatic transmission shifter cables. The boat cables had one end threaded for adjustment into the bracket. On other similar projects since, I've used various motorcycle/boat/bike/car cables by chucking a bolt in the lathe and boring it to accommodate the cable, and the housing, allowing for a single hole mount with some adjustment. That way you can cut the cable and housing to any length you need.

mike

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 6:59 am