VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

Unexpected find

Linoman
    Linoman

Number of posts : 329
    Registration date : 2010-06-14

Unexpected find Empty Unexpected find

Post by Linoman Sun May 06, 2012 7:46 am

Went to the local auto salvage/recycler yard to find a 2-speed tuarus fan, came away with that & these:

Unexpected find Img_4933
    These where on a 73 camper van they just got in. The yard wasn't ready to have the van picked apart yet, they still needed to drain fluids and such, but they let me grab the mirrors & tail light assemblys anyways. What parts from the second gen are worth going back for?
    Big W
    Big W

Number of posts : 3282
    Registration date : 2011-01-13

Unexpected find Empty Re: Unexpected find

Post by Big W Sun May 06, 2012 9:19 am

Great score on the mirrors and lights. But as for anything else, our vans are pretty unique and not a lot of stuff from the 70's on up will fit without modifying. Major changes took place after 1967. Body style, drivetrain, and interior are what make our 61 to 67 vans and trucks rare and hard to find parts for. But that being said, anything is possible if you want to modify what you have.
    econopoor
    econopoor
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1747
    Registration date : 2010-04-18

Post by econopoor Sun May 06, 2012 9:25 am

The second gen steering wheels with work on our vans. You have to change the horn ring but all else is the same. Second gen wheels seem to hold up better than first gens and being a camper is might have very low miles on it and be in really good shape.

Check the nine inch for gear ratios. I found a nice 3:70 and a 4:11 posi in second gens. The housings are different but the center section will work.

Duane in Tennessee.
    Linoman
    Linoman

Post by Linoman Sun May 06, 2012 9:50 am

I didn't expect there to be much that would interchange,but figured I would check withthe experts here in case there was something.
    I check the wheels, if they are 15" I'll get them,i'm planning on a disc brake conversion this summer & will need some 15" wheels. I also see if it has the 240 or 300 six in it and grab the easy stuff from it.
    Big W
    Big W

Number of posts : 3282
    Registration date : 2011-01-13

Post by Big W Sun May 06, 2012 10:22 am

Check also on the sunvisors and interior mirror and iside door handles may not be a match but might be usable. Never thaught of rear gears and steering wheel...good call on those econopoor. What about side and rear window frames if they are pop outs on this camper??
    Linoman
    Linoman

Post by Linoman Sun May 06, 2012 12:19 pm

I'll check the visors and the windows. I couldn't give it a good inspection as they didn't really want me in that area of the yard.
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1306
    Registration date : 2009-06-13

Post by Old Skool Fri May 11, 2012 8:24 pm

If anyone finds a stick shift GENII,,, please get the upper shift tube support. About 99% of the GENII's were C4's and I use the manual pieces to replace the ones that break in ours. OR keep it for your own use. They are riveted in place and a little bit of work to take. I would be interested in getting them as I don't see many GENII's coming out anymore, let alone a stick shift. Also, you can use the turn signal unit to put emergency flashers in yours. I have the wiring code for anyone who wants to do it.
    vic
    Linoman
    Linoman

Post by Linoman Sat May 12, 2012 3:44 am

Vic ~ I think it was an auto but I'lll double check next time I'm over there.
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1306
    Registration date : 2009-06-13

Post by Old Skool Sat May 12, 2012 6:45 am

Appreciate it. I have been taking them for a long time, and use them in my column rebuilds. Now, almost out of them and more concerned than ever as I don't know of any other place to get them. They are much stronger than the ones in ours that are usually broken.
    thnx,,
    vic

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:52 am