VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

replacing my door seals and wondered best method and best glue to use?

replacing my door seals and wondered best method and best glue to use? Empty replacing my door seals and wondered best method and best glue to use?

Post by Guest Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:57 pm

i have all new door sals for my van, i have removed the old one and cleaned the jambs. was wondering what is the best way to hold them in place while glue dries and best glue to use. jambs are black.

almost looks like taking the doors of and laying them flat shinny side down would let gravity help hold the seals in place until glue dries
    or is there a contact like cement i can use that holds more instantly?

thanks
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

replacing my door seals and wondered best method and best glue to use? Empty Re: replacing my door seals and wondered best method and best glue to use?

Post by donivan65 Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:49 pm

I would use something like a tube of 3M or Permatex black super weatherstrip adhesive,,,,,,run a strip on both pieces,,,,,let it dry,,,,,,run a thin strip on one of the pieces to activate the glue and stick it on,,,,it should dry instantly,,,,,
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

replacing my door seals and wondered best method and best glue to use? Empty Re: replacing my door seals and wondered best method and best glue to use?

Post by Twinpilot001 Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:13 am

Just so all know- The 3M stuff is used for over 50 years to glue the rubber de-ice boots on aircraft wing leading edges.Its the best .
    Casimier
    Casimier

Number of posts : 864
    Registration date : 2010-07-26

Post by Casimier Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:15 am

Don't take off the doors if you don't have to!
    I'll get back to you on the glue I used on my doors.
    The glue dries instantly, so you can do 12" to 24" sections at a time.
    It was the weatherstripping that was dissappointing. Too thick in some places...had to cut down the thickness.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:38 am

replacing my door seals and wondered best method and best glue to use? 3m_bla10
    Casimier
    Casimier

Number of posts : 864
    Registration date : 2010-07-26

Post by Casimier Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:59 am

That's the STUFF!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:10 am