VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

Rear end seals

Walker
    Walker

Number of posts : 144
    Registration date : 2010-03-13

Rear end seals Empty Rear end seals

Post by Walker Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:09 pm

I am having a bearing and seals put in my 68 panel on the right rear. As far as I know the rear end has a flange that adjusts the bearings. Napa said bearings and seals were available for axles with or without the flange. So now I am second guessing myself as to what the flange is that they refer to.

Seal is leaking that is why I am doing this, bearings are good but they need to be replaced to get to the outer seal.

What do the different rears look like.

Thanks
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Rear end seals Empty Re: Rear end seals

Post by RodStRace Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:07 pm

Well, the ability to get into the head of a parts counterman across the country isn't on my list of talents, but here goes...

1. He's talking about early (pre 1966) Mopar axles with the tapered flange. Booger of a deal, glad our stuff doesn't have these. They may take a different seal. This is highly unlikely what he was talking about, but who knows?

2. The replacement "green bearings" that are even now the subject of heated debate in Mopar camps. I suggest that you do a search for this to get info from both sides. I personally will not use them. Since these are ball bearings not tapered roller bearings, they allow you to do away with the adjuster on the right axle. If you do go with the green bearings, Please do not throw away the adjuster, nut and lock deal! These are getting hard to find.

Remember, there is a seal inside the axle tube to keep gear lube in, then an outer seal to keep the grease in the bearing and the dirt out.
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8729
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by dix Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:28 pm

if you are going to use the green bearings then you may need to cut or grind about 1/8 in off each axle depending on what you buy. . the green bearing is used on a disc brake conversion and adds a additional plate to hold the caliper. . but i don't think napa sells green bearings. just roller bearings. the adjuster is called a slack adjuster...

Post by Walker Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:32 pm

Thanks. If anyone has part numbers that would be great.
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:37 am

Acording to Rock Auto's catalog
    They also mention the flanged axle, which is strange. These are for the regular axle. These are what you will need.
    Bearing = National # 25880
    Outer shell National # 25821

Flanged axle
    Set National #A7

inner seal National # 471862
    outer seal National # 8704S

There is no mention of the collar that holds the bearing in place on the axle. You will need that too, since the old one must be cut to remove the bearing.

Walker
    Walker

Post by Walker Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:00 pm

Thanks, from what I have seen the sleeve is included with the bearing.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:54 pm