VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

Bought the souped up 6

joe cool
    joe cool

Number of posts : 18
    Registration date : 2011-11-27

Bought the souped up 6 Empty Bought the souped up 6

Post by joe cool Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:05 pm

I just picked up the built 300 I mentioned in my last post. It is an 81 model with an Offy C-Series intake and Hooker Competition headers. Has a bigger cam, but the seller didn't build the motor, so he didn't know the specs. He could only say that it was pulled out of a running 85 F150 in January of this year and kept in his garage ever since. When asked how it ran, his exact words were;"no knocking,smoking, real lopey idle and pulls like a mule!
    Engine is very complete, (minus a carb) even still had power steering pump and other accessories that I may not need. I was able to get it for $425, so I feel that is a good buy.
    Will the rear sump pan cause problems with the install in my 67? Can I just use a 67 water pump to connect to my radiator? I'm already aware of the mods needed to the dog house. Considering running a 600 Holley on it. Is there any other things I need to worry about before starting the swap?
    As always, thanks to you guys for your inputs, photos and info!
    scarlin
    scarlin

Number of posts : 258
    Registration date : 2012-01-25

Bought the souped up 6 Empty Re: Bought the souped up 6

Post by scarlin Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:43 pm

Grass hopper, (from an old tv show)You have received lots of good advice. Time to do it. We can't do the conversion for you.
    Good Luck
    If you can't do stock can you do the time?
    joe cool
    joe cool

Number of posts : 18
    Registration date : 2011-11-27

Post by joe cool Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:22 pm

Thanks, I guess!
    66ThunderVan
    66ThunderVan

Number of posts : 384
    Registration date : 2012-01-08

Post by 66ThunderVan Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:52 pm

Good luck with it.
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1306
    Registration date : 2009-06-13

Post by Old Skool Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:57 pm

Sounds like you made a decent purchase, shame you don't know what cam you have as that helps in setting everything else up correctly. A common trick is to also use Chevy rockers to increase the lift, so just be aware.
    Here are some pics of different ones. The stock 300 will pull double of any 240 with out building it, and for sure a good thing to do. HOWEVER!

You should seriously consider that you have a larger motor now, and should bump up from a 3 core 240 radiator to a 4 core...suggest also a Taurus two speed fan and a 3G alternator. Taurus fan is said to be 4500 CFM, comes with a shroud and you can get them all day long at the bone yrd for about $35 bucks!!!!!! Summit eat your heart out,, LOL
    Next,, even a 2bbl will need an extra box of some sort for that manifold and carb to not hit the doghouse side. Then also some problems with an air cleaner sticking out the side of the lid?? included is an idea for a fresh air setup using a turbo carb cover..
    Next,,the headers should not fit as the F series is different. I had a pretty sweet set of those headers that I sold a while back because of that..
    Regards to the oil pan, you will need a front sump pan, so the 240 pan and the matching oil pickup will work just fine for you...
    I just picked up a set of brand new headers that Eugene made for the built 300's in our trucks. They sell for $250 new, and this set is new, but I can let them go for $200..The ones in the picture are a coated set, mine are uncoated.
    1st pic is the F series headers.
    vic

Bought the souped up 6 100_1327
    Bought the souped up 6 Blue_o10
    Bought the souped up 6 53_110
    Bought the souped up 6 100_1020

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 7:34 pm