VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+4
Rayallen
DanTheVanMan
slowflapper
Lazarusvan
8 posters

Van Insurance

Lazarusvan
    Lazarusvan

Number of posts : 1293
    Registration date : 2011-02-22

Van Insurance Empty Van Insurance

Post by Lazarusvan Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:49 am

I'm having a heck of a time getting full coverage on my van. Right now it just has liablility.

We use it for business and pleasure purposes and plan on putting advertising on it. I want to drive it. I don't want to mislead the insurance company and ending up not having coverage if it gets wrecked.

I've checked all the regular places for specialty insurance, and no one wants to cover it the way I want to use it. Putting on advertising on it seems to be the biggest deal breaker. The last company, Condon and so and so, says they don't normally insure vans because they don't appreciate. While somewhat true, they obviously don't know anything about vans.

Has/does anyone used theirs for business and have full coverage? Do you have advertising on it? I need to have this valued for at least $10K, and by the time I get this where I want it, that would leave me light in the pocket if it was totaled.

Any suggestions or inside knowledge?
    slowflapper
    slowflapper

Number of posts : 956
    Registration date : 2010-07-29

Van Insurance Empty Re: Van Insurance

Post by slowflapper Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:47 pm

I use Hagertys but its only classic car insurance, they probably have something for full time use as well, call and check if you haven't already.

link
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Number of posts : 7900
    Registration date : 2008-10-08

Post by DanTheVanMan Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:07 pm

Hagerty on both my vans. Based on van value you set. I pay $210 per year......

"FOR BOTH VANS"!!! cheers

Dan

http://www.hagerty.com/Collector-car-insurance/Auto-insurance-overview?gclid=CIaWqOG6gK4CFQGd7QodcR3X4g

Last edited by DanTheVanMan on Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

Van Insurance Qr_cod10

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-
    Rayallen
    Rayallen

Number of posts : 648
    Registration date : 2011-06-27

Post by Rayallen Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:48 pm

I have statefarm full coverage under the same plan as my wife saab. I pay around $24 a month for the van and its treated just like any other car on our policy.
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Post by DanTheVanMan Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:31 pm

Rayallen wrote:I have state-farm full coverage under the same plan as my wife saab. I pay around $24 a month for the van and its treated just like any other car on our policy.

Ray, I had State Farm for a couple of years (Full coverage) as well. And I asked what would happen if "I Totaled my van" The answer kinda shocked me.

" You would only recover the "LOW Retail Value" of $2,250. Or "Average Retail Value" of $5,108 if I had "All Documentation Justifying" an Average claim payout (Documentation of "Improvement", not of general repairs caused be normal wear and tear or aging). Although I would disagree with this. Repairing rusted body panels falls under "Improvement" to me!!

And for a "High Retail Value"
    This vehicle would be in excellent condition overall. It could be a completely restored or an extremely well maintained original vehicle showing very minimal wear. The exterior paint, trim, and mechanics are not in need of reconditioning. The interior would be in excellent condition. Note: This value represents a "100 Point" or "# 1" vehicle *. (If Vehicle investment exceeds High Retail Value due to custom vehicle modification. Collector Insurance is highly recommended).

* "100 Point" or "# 1" vehicle is not driven. It would generally be in a museum or transported in an enclosed trailer to concourse judging and car shows. This type of car would be stored in a climate-regulated facility.

* After an accident is "Not" the time to figure out what you policy really covers!

Just an FYI..... Cool

Dan

PSS: Ray, I was paying $22 a month with State-Farm. That's $264 a year, your paying $288 a year. I'm now paying $105 a year based on the total value of my vans (That "I" set). And if I need repairs, I choose where. Not the cheapest of three quotes by State-Farm....

OK, getting off my pedestal now. Yeah, I was kinda peeved when I learned that I would have basically been screwed if I had an accident while with State Farm. "If it's insured like a car, they pay you like it's a car". Because it's now "JUST A 45 YEAR OLD CAR!". Food for thought...

With Hagerty now,life is good! Very Happy

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

Van Insurance Qr_cod10

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-
    HandiVanMan
    HandiVanMan

Number of posts : 1868
    Registration date : 2010-04-11

Post by HandiVanMan Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:14 pm

I have went through the full coverage B.S with farm bureau I was hit by another driver & he has progressive full coverage. His insurance co was trying to lowball me & I mean really lowball me on a custom 1986 Chevy 4 door dually that their client hit me in. I had around $15,000 in the truck & I had to file a claim with my insurance co just to even get around 20% of that to try to rebuild it. I was offered $4400 & them keep my truck or $2900 to repair it with. I chose the $2900 & spent it plus probaly $2500 more & the truck was never the same!
    My agent told me after my truck had been totaled that I.could of bought collectors insurance from haggertys for less than what I had been paying for it & got as much coverage as I wanted to buy for it.
    I would suggest as I have in the past that anyone that has any antique vehicle that don't want to lose their shorts I case of fire, theft or an accident to insure theirs through haggertys!!!! You will save money right off the get go & in the long haul if you ever have to file a claim you will be covered for full replacement.
    wideload
    wideload
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 1388
    Registration date : 2008-05-11

Post by wideload Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:50 pm

Dan are there any driving limitations with the Hagerty Ins.? I know with some collectors ins. your limited to the miles you can drive.

HandiVanMan
    HandiVanMan

Post by HandiVanMan Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:02 pm

I had a 1929 model a roadster that I had insured through them & they had a mileage limitation per year & also i had to keep it locked up in a garage. Their insurance is mainly for collector vehicles that people show & only drive occasionally. I drove the wheels off of mine while I had it insured with them but I would of probaly had trouble trying to collect if I'd had to ever file a claim.
    wideload
    wideload
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by wideload Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:44 pm

Just checked their website and got a quote.
    $7000 on the 67
    $6000 on the 65

$0 deductible on non-collision and collision
    No mileage limit
    Says they guarantee insured amount for total loss.

Quote was $288 a year for both vans.

Right now I'm with Ky.Farm Bureau and only carry liability and $0 deductible comp. coverage on the vans. Cost around $390 a year.

DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Post by DanTheVanMan Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:47 pm

Mike,
    I have no limitations. When I talked to the guy I told him I have Two vans, a jeep and a Cadillac. I old him that I decide what to drive when I walk out the door and 90% of the time its the Sportvan. He said "Not an issue" we insure for the listed value not the mileage although they did ask approx. how many miles I drive it a year.

Dan

I went $6000 on both the 65 & 66 at :$210 at year for both.

*** And I know it varies from state to state, by age, driving record, year of van and the value you select but you just can't beat their prices and service!

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

Van Insurance Qr_cod10

wideload
    wideload
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by wideload Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:28 pm

My insurance is paid up until April. I'll look at switching then. Get FULL COVERAGE for less money!!!! cheers

Thanks for the info Dan!!!

DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Post by DanTheVanMan Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:37 pm

The pleasure is mine Mike.
    Other members here showed me the way to Hagerty and that's why we're all here. To learn, to share and to help others! cheers

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

Van Insurance Qr_cod10

Lazarusvan
    Lazarusvan

Post by Lazarusvan Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:47 pm

Guys, thanks for all the input. I had just called Hagertys today before posting. I can't put any logo on the van. That is a deal breaker. Even if I owned a classic's car lot and wanted to put a logon on my van to park out front: NOPE. They allow 2500 miles a year but ease off if you drive to shows, etc. And, in case anyone is new to the insurance game, you must have at least one other car per legal aged driver, and keep it garaged. 2 adults must have at least 3 vehicles in order to get coverage.

Even if I B.S.'ed them and told them it was just for light driving and not for hauling stuff (I've moved many loads in the past two weeks Twisted Evil ), they would still not cover me if I put my logo on the side. Hagertys was super nice and the girl on the phone checked with her supervisor. If it has a logo, it's a no-go.

I should also mention that using it to move anything would be a deal breaker as well. Actually "using" our van's for what they were intended to do is against the rules, but putting a 500 H.P. engine inside that could put one in a ditch is no problem...

They suggested commercial insurance, but I am skeptical they will cover for enough. She also gave me great advice in making sure we have agreed upon covereage wherever I go, otherwise it will be the State Farm deal Dan mentioned. I am thinking that I will either have to leave off my logo, which I really don't want to do or just play Russian roulette with a van I have $10,000 invested in (with more to come)and pray no one takes me out.

I will update what I find out from commercial/expensive insurance. Business vehicles go way up in cost.

Curious to hear from G-Man. I thought he used his van for business, but perhaps it's just a "weekend driver..."
    jkr
    jkr

Number of posts : 1148
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by jkr Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:44 am

up here in my area of canada we have whats called "silver wheels" insurance. the policy is basicly the same as most collector policys stating mileage limits and you must have at least one more primary vehicle. but i would think you could get a policy drawn up for your specfic needs and wants if so desired. you would need to first have a "professional" appraisal done of your vehicle stating it's actual condition and value at the time of said appraisal.then you discuss with an agent what you plan on using the vehicle for and how much use you plan for it. it would be unrealistic to think you could get a ;
    high appraisal value
    actual cash value in total loss situation
    a combined commercial rate
    ALL FOR A LOW RATE
    my friends here in the insurance game (and it's a game ) would give you a quote i believe but you might have to take a second morguage on the house to pay for it. i believe you would be better off to find a second vehicle that has less into it toss a quickie paint on it to look good going down the road and to like like the primary van and put those magnetic signs on it and swap them over to the primary when at a show or hanging at work in the parking lot.
    wideload
    wideload
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by wideload Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:17 am

This is copied from the page on Hagerty's web site after you apply for a quote.

Will I be able to drive my car?
    Some companies impose a strict annual mileage limit. Not Hagerty. Our policy allows for reasonable pleasure use, with no fixed mileage restrictions.

Quote from Laz,
    They allow 2500 miles a year but ease off if you drive to shows, etc.

Do they change their mind when you actually apply for the insurance?

DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Post by DanTheVanMan Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:05 am

Lee,
    I have had Hagerty for a couple of years now and talk to their Rep from time to time. If your using your van as a "Work" van you will have an issue. Hagerty is for "Collector/Vintage" vehicles. Having a "commercial" use van would disqualify you. Personally I would invest in "Magnetic" signs! And again, Your age, State and driving record do play heavily in their decision. Even when I called and asked about how it would effect my policy when I pulled the L6 250 out and was planning on dropping in a 375hp 327. They made the adjustment on the spot. My policy went up $10. Really? Yeah, I can live with that! Smile

You just have to be honest about you use (These guys are good! They will catch you trying to pull one over on them) and you must have a "Regular" use vehicle with a standard insurance company to qualify for Hagerty Ins.
    For our Vintage Vans there's really no better deal out there.

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

Van Insurance Qr_cod10

Lazarusvan
    Lazarusvan

Post by Lazarusvan Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:57 am

JKR, Dan, Mike, thanks for all the comments. JKR, I'm not looking for cheapest thing, just insurance to somewhat cover me. I don't expect full loss value.

Dan, Hagerty's is super nice. The magnetic sign thing has crossed my mind. If I wreck it with the signs in place....They were my first and best decision from the start. Dan, I agree with honesty (for the most part.) I don't want to pay in to find out they won't pay out. I'd go elsewhere, but like you found out, they won't insure it for enough.

JKR, another van as you describe would work, but then I'd have two money pits! And, I want to DRIVE and be seen for all the reasons in my good one, with my company logo in tow.

I would be interested in speaking to your friends. As mentioned, putting my logo on the side is the main thing. We might occassionally move some stuff, but this is my pleasure vehicle. My moving consists of picking up boxes full of china and glass, not working out of it daily. I could live with a $10K coverage for total loss.

In any event, it's clear that I have to make a decision. Thanks!

Mike, they definitely say 2500 miles, but don't hold you to it. If you put 10K on a collector car, they might ask questions. I didn't ask them about high miles since my speedo goes 70 all day long..
    Rayallen
    Rayallen

Number of posts : 648
    Registration date : 2011-06-27

Post by Rayallen Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:51 am

DanTheVanMan wrote:
    Rayallen wrote:I have state-farm full coverage under the same plan as my wife saab. I pay around $24 a month for the van and its treated just like any other car on our policy.

Ray, I had State Farm for a couple of years (Full coverage) as well. And I asked what would happen if "I Totaled my van" The answer kinda shocked me.

" You would only recover the "LOW Retail Value" of $2,250. Or "Average Retail Value" of $5,108 if I had "All Documentation Justifying" an Average claim payout (Documentation of "Improvement", not of general repairs caused be normal wear and tear or aging). Although I would disagree with this. Repairing rusted body panels falls under "Improvement" to me!!

And for a "High Retail Value"
    This vehicle would be in excellent condition overall. It could be a completely restored or an extremely well maintained original vehicle showing very minimal wear. The exterior paint, trim, and mechanics are not in need of reconditioning. The interior would be in excellent condition. Note: This value represents a "100 Point" or "# 1" vehicle *. (If Vehicle investment exceeds High Retail Value due to custom vehicle modification. Collector Insurance is highly recommended).

* "100 Point" or "# 1" vehicle is not driven. It would generally be in a museum or transported in an enclosed trailer to concourse judging and car shows. This type of car would be stored in a climate-regulated facility.

* After an accident is "Not" the time to figure out what you policy really covers!

Just an FYI..... Cool

Dan

PSS: Ray, I was paying $22 a month with State-Farm. That's $264 a year, your paying $288 a year. I'm now paying $105 a year based on the total value of my vans (That "I" set). And if I need repairs, I choose where. Not the cheapest of three quotes by State-Farm....

OK, getting off my pedestal now. Yeah, I was kinda peeved when I learned that I would have basically been screwed if I had an accident while with State Farm. "If it's insured like a car, they pay you like it's a car". Because it's now "JUST A 45 YEAR OLD CAR!". Food for thought...

With Hagerty now,life is good! Very Happy

Thats good to know!

Will be switching over to Hagerty at time of renewal.

slowflapper
    slowflapper

Number of posts : 956
    Registration date : 2010-07-29

Post by slowflapper Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:51 am

Lazarus that's weird... maybe I didn't understand what they told me but I was under the impression that you could "select your coverage based on mileage and the amount covered". I have $10k of coverage and 5k miles a year on my collector car policy on the van, same deal for the wife's '68 Galaxy 500. It's less than $300/year for both of them.

Whatever you come up with, please let us know Smile
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Post by DanTheVanMan Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:30 am

Flapper,
    I think his issues come from his need to use it as a
    "Commercial Vehicle". I called yesterday to ask about adding my 84 CJ7 and asked about Commercial Vehicles. He told me they will only cover them if is a "Collector" vehicle and not actively being used as a Commercial Vehicle.

Dan

And a FYI: 1984 Jeep CJ7.(for 10K)..... $97 a YEAR! Smile

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

Van Insurance Qr_cod10

HandiVanMan
    HandiVanMan

Post by HandiVanMan Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:00 am

You don't have to wait til renewal time to switch to hagertys. If you have an accident or your vehicle is lost to fire or theft are you prepared for a possible loss while you ride out the remaining time on your policy?

Post by Guest Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:21 am

I had to go around and around with haggerty. I have a www. on the back of my 68 G10 van. My 66 C10 truck is done rat rod style and I have a logo on the doors. They actually went to my website and seen a pic of the pickup with a hay bale. They then assumed I work the truck. They approved one not the other, so I told them screw you its all or nothing I am not cancelling for 1. They listened to me that the photos were just for the site and changed there mind. I have not had a prob with them since.
    Lazarusvan
    Lazarusvan

Post by Lazarusvan Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:54 pm

jduffy01 wrote:I had to go around and around with haggerty. I have a www. on the back of my 68 G10 van. My 66 C10 truck is done rat rod style and I have a logo on the doors. They actually went to my website and seen a pic of the pickup with a hay bale. They then assumed I work the truck. They approved one not the other, so I told them screw you its all or nothing I am not cancelling for 1. They listened to me that the photos were just for the site and changed there mind. I have not had a prob with them since.

Good info. I'd love to know who you spoke to. I told them same thing, that I was wanting to drive the van to our sales and have our logo be seen. Might try again..
    Big W
    Big W

Number of posts : 3282
    Registration date : 2011-01-13

Post by Big W Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:09 pm

Man am I glad our insurance up here is the way it is. For an antique they offer you a flat rate as to what it's worth if you do not have an appraisal done on it to prove it's worth what you say it is, and my 66 cost me 83 dollars for the year, without appraisal, and it's not worth much with that(1,000.00 bucks if totald). BUT....If I show them it's worth more they will insure it for that value and of course the price will go up from 83 dollars/yr to what ever the going rate is for that vehicles worth and so on. you can add to that a special pkg policy for a little more that will cover glass and a vehicle to drive while yours gets repaired if needed. And you can have all this in less then 15 minutes. I hope our gov't insurece doesn't change the way they do things. No
    wideload
    wideload
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by wideload Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:54 pm

Got the vans approved for the Hagerty insurance today. $7000 coverage on both the 65 and 67, 5000 miles per year on each (they don't hold you strictly to that), $0 deductible on collision, $0 deductible on other than collision. $300 per year total premium to cover both.

Had to send declaration page for insurance for each licensed driver in the household on a vehicle for each other than the collectable vehicle's and pic's of the vans (interior,exterior and motor). I set my own coverage amount and mileage amount. No hassle at all. Saved me about $100 a year on premium and picked up collision on both vans verses just liability coverage before with my regular car insurance. cheers

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 7:25 pm