VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

broken door hinge

ramian09
    ramian09

Number of posts : 167
    Registration date : 2010-01-26

broken door hinge Empty broken door hinge

Post by ramian09 Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:17 pm

Hey you guys I have two different things going on. First my lower hinge on my rear passenger side door is broken. The pin is the part that broke. I don't know if that alone can be replaced or if the hole hinge needs to be replaced. But either way I would like to get it fixed asap being winter and all. And secondly I am about to put in a 1967 dual master cylinder and was wondering if you guys had any tips or know of any kinks that will arise. Thanks all tips are greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!!
    Big W
    Big W

Number of posts : 3282
    Registration date : 2011-01-13

broken door hinge Empty Re: broken door hinge

Post by Big W Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:43 pm

A little farther down in this forum there is a discussion going on as to removing hinge pins. Those that have had the privilege of removing them I'm sure will chime in. As for the dual master cyl, I am also in the same boat on this as you. I attempted the change and found that brake lines need some tweaking to make them fit. I also found (through these forums) that if you have a dual cyl, you should use that brake pedal that came with it or one from a 67 at least. I can't remember why, but I think It has something to do with the length of the push rod that goes into the cyl, and may be the angle of pivot under the floor, and also the brake light switch on that 67 assembly is different from all others from 61 to 66, with single master cyl. I have only looked at my 66 and 67 to see what I would need to do to make the swap. It shouldn't be to difficult as others have done this already. But new hard brake lines will be a start that's for sure, and use the old 67 lines as a template.
    ramian09
    ramian09

Post by ramian09 Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:04 pm

Cool that discussion was a lot of help. Do you have any idea where to get new hinge pins? Yeah I have the pedal, brake light switch, and the proportioning valve. The brake line diagrams is a good idea. Any idea where to get that??
    Big W
    Big W

Number of posts : 3282
    Registration date : 2011-01-13

Post by Big W Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:11 pm

hmmmm...not sure down in your neck of the woods, but I am sure somebody in here knows, and will chime in. I have 2 hinges that are seizing up. If I cant find pins up here close to me I will probably find something close and redrill the hole to fit new pins. I have close to 6 hinges for each door so I must have a decent set amongst them...lol...I hope. I here NAPA is a great place to find stuff..could start there and ask for ford falcon van parts.
    61econoline
    61econoline

Number of posts : 655
    Registration date : 2009-04-16

Post by 61econoline Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:50 pm

pretty sure macs antique auto parts has the pins or green sales in ky should have them too.getting the old pins out is some times hard, and other times not.Its just a matter of driving them out and putting new ones in.
    Hellfish

Number of posts : 146
    Registration date : 2011-03-01

Post by Hellfish Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:06 am

Mac's has the pins in stainless and regular steel, maybe in chrome, too. About $2 each IIRC, plus shipping.

Can you get the rebuild kit for the '67 dual MC? I installed a Maverick dual MC when I converted to disk brakes and ran all new brake lines. Easy. I did need to buy a mounting bracket (Fred Carillo, but others sell one) and a new push rod to extend the one I had, and cut a new access hole in the floor.
    ramian09
    ramian09

Post by ramian09 Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:26 pm

Thanks for all the great info guys!!!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:20 am