VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

65 chevy Installing a V8 HELP

65 chevy Installing a V8 HELP Empty 65 chevy Installing a V8 HELP

Post by Guest Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:58 pm

I am looking into installing a V8 into a 65 chevy van, can't find any info and was wondering if any one out there has done this. If so could you tell me what all is involved, and what parts i would need. Also interested in TH350 or 700R4 instalation.

THANKS LUKE
    savage
    savage

Number of posts : 2626
    Registration date : 2008-05-15

65 chevy Installing a V8 HELP Empty Re: 65 chevy Installing a V8 HELP

Post by savage Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:31 pm

Welcome Luke. I haven't done it(yet) You will have to modify your 1st gen doghouse or get one from a 2nd gen. You can use the same motor mounts for the V8. You will need to upgrade your Rad. as for trans ,you have to make a crossmember .
    wideload
    wideload
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 1388
    Registration date : 2008-05-11

Post by wideload Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:34 pm

Welcome to the site Luke. A V8 in a 65 can be done, it just depends on how many $'s you want to spend as to how you go about it. My 65 has a 283 V8 but all they did (the V8 was in it when I got it) was the bare minimum. The engine doghouse will have to be modified or changed to a 67-70 model type to allow room for the V8. The throttle linkage will have to be changed and it's best to upgrade the radiator because the 6 cyl radiator is borderline for cooling. The trans mod is also very doable by fabing a new trans cross member and changing or modifying the trans linkage.

Like I said it all depends on how much you want to spend and what your capable of doing yourself. I think I still have a good video that shows changing the doghouse to a second gen. I'll look and post it if I still have it. In the meantime just browse the site and enjoy. There's lots of info here and everyone is very helpful.

G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:11 pm

savage & wdeload pretty much covered what you'll need,but what I can add if you do this be ready for unforseen problems you may face with any motor change.

Post by Guest Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:58 pm

When I did it, I used an Automatic Transmission Shift Cable from a late model Chev PU (mid 70's) for the throttle linkage.
    It had the exact same throw distance as the gas pedal and the Carter AFB carb that I was using, all I had to do was fab mounts at the ends and I was set.
    Right length, right throw, worked great.

The motor mounts will have an extra riser you won't need, between the rubber motor mount and where the 6-banger bolts up.
    The V8 will bolt right up to the rubber blocks that sit on the crossmember.
    Upgrading the radiator is a good idea, but keep the shroud pan on in front of the radiator too, as it channels the air from the front grill to where the cooler is up under the doghouse.
    With a later (67+) doghouse you'll have enough room for either headers or stock exaust manifolds, some of which are not as bad as they look.
    And your stock seat mounts will bolt right up to the later model too.
    I'd advise getting the floorboard 'bump' too in front of the doghouse as it will allow the extra airflow you may need.
    You might also want to consider getting (a) front mounted electric radiator fan(s), for both room and cooling issues.

As far as your transmission, I was helt back by my wallet to the stock 3 speed, so I'll defer to others here on those issues.
    Good luck, and have fun! Smile

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:13 pm