VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

Possibly my first E - van .

Possibly my first E -  van . Empty Possibly my first E - van .

Post by Guest Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:27 pm

Hello all . I've been enjoying the Vintage Vans forum and soaking up as much knowledge as I can while at the same time putting a serious effort into finding an early model van or truck . Being on a budget and not in a position where I can drive a long distance for any less than a sure thing , the choices have been limited.

I found a 64 Ford Falcon Econoline on the Binghamton, NY Craigslist. Being a new member I cant post the link , It does come up on search tempest and the Craigslist search also.

Here is the listing title ....1964 ford falcon econoline (Port crane )

I am going to look at it tomorrow , but I'm wondering what I'm getting myself into. The current owner said that it needs an interior , a radiator and a carburetor. He also mentioned that it has some rust issues. Based on the pics, it looks like it needs a front bumper , wiper arms , and drivers side mirror. Also, he says it has a 289 . Was a 289 offered in 64 or was this a swap ?

Having said all of this, I'm looking for any opinions positive or negative. No price has been discussed yet, and the owner told me he wont entertain phone offers. Its only 15 minutes from me, so a dead end is no big hardship.Any input is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Possibly my first E -  van . Empty Re: Possibly my first E - van .

Post by RodStRace Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:47 pm

Welcome to the site!
    I'd go if for no other reason than to look one over in person and get more aquainted with them.
    Here's the listing
    http://binghamton.craigslist.org/cto/2736266892.html
    Being in the NE, you don't have a lot of choice in non-rusty anything, but that is where you will spend the most time (if talented) or money (if you have to pay someone else to do it). The mechanicals are fairly simple. There are fewer that survived up there, so there is less supply which drives up prices. With transport costs up due to fuel, getting a desert van up there isn't cheap either.
    A 64 should be a 6 cylinder, according to the Ford brain trust here.

Post by Guest Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:56 pm

Thanks for the reply. The rust is a concern, but not my main one.

What worries me the most is a horribly done 6 cyl to V8 swap.

I would rather have a 6 that has never been messed with than a backwards upside down V8 install.

It also looks like a radiator is not as easy to find as i has hoped.

Getting back to the rust, what areas would i want to scrutinize the most in that regard ?

Barnabas
    Barnabas
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager

Number of posts : 2011
    Registration date : 2011-01-16

Post by Barnabas Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:07 pm

A good radiator shop can rebuild your radiator to be better than new. Or you can buy an after-market Mustang radiator and have the brackets reversed.

I'd be concerned about the V8 conversion. It can be done right. You won't know until you see it.

Putting a V8 in a Œ64 is trickier than putting a V8 in a Œ65 or later.

Do a search here on V8 and look at how the engine is mounted, especially the crossover beam under the engine.

Then see what you see when you go look at the van.
    Donn
    Donn

Number of posts : 692
    Registration date : 2009-04-05

Post by Donn Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:17 pm

I think when buying your first early van you get the bug and may rush into buying one..Being from NY I can tell you it is a very small chance you will find one here without rust, which is the most expensive repair.I would suggest "strongly" you look on this site everyday for a southern or western van with original or a replacement 6cyl. Having the original wiring, heater etc..the more they are messed with the more problems you will encounter.
    You do not say what you are looking to spend? I bought an econoline pu from Seattle Washington and the shipping was around $1300..BUT I got a pick up that NEVER had any body work, no rust and still has it's original paint!! $1300 does not buy a lot of body work. It may seem like a lot of money but rust will lead to a lot of $ that will add up quick. I am also putting a v8 in mine right now. It needs to be done right, there is a lot of fabrication. I would not buy one that looks have a**ed.
    Good luck with your search..it will be worth the wait when the right one comes along..
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:47 pm

Welcome!!!!!
    toad
    toad

Number of posts : 355
    Registration date : 2010-05-30

Post by toad Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:38 am

Look at the spring perches, front and rear and where they mount to the uni-body. Mine is bad in these places and where the steering gear box mounts.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 2:18 am