VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

Brownie Box?

Brownie Box? Empty Brownie Box?

Post by Guest Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:25 pm

Came across an automotive aplication 4 speed Brownie box at work and was wondering if anyone thinks I should try squeezing this in my Econo pickup? The lenght is 13" from yoke to yoke and not sure if the extra gear splitting would help or just be more complicated than it's worth.

Brownie Box? Empty Re: Brownie Box?

Post by Guest Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:52 pm

MY OPINION.... KEEP IT SIMPLE. ONE OF MY FAVORITE VEHICLES TO DRIVE IS MY 1961 FORD FALCON RANCHERO WITH A 170 AND 2 SPEED FORD-O-MATIC, WHY? IT IS SIMPLE, IS IT FAST? NO! FUN AND EASY TO DRIVE? YES! SIMPLE.

GOOD LUCK

GLENN
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:23 pm

All you are adding is 1/2 gear,,,,,then you have the normal 1st, 2nd and 3rd,,,,,
    EconoUSAparts
    EconoUSAparts

Number of posts : 2198
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by EconoUSAparts Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:20 am

65SUPERVAN wrote:MY OPINION.... KEEP IT SIMPLE. ONE OF MY FAVORITE VEHICLES TO DRIVE IS MY 1961 FORD FALCON RANCHERO WITH A 170 AND 2 SPEED FORD-O-MATIC, WHY? IT IS SIMPLE, IS IT FAST? NO! FUN AND EASY TO DRIVE? YES! SIMPLE.

GOOD LUCK

GLENN

Hey Glenn,cool van. Can you post some more pics,maybe start a gallery. Most dont have that kind of top on them. Is it original conversion or done more recently? Interior shots would be cool too.

Post by Guest Sun Dec 25, 2011 12:16 am

Thanks for the input. Some of the things I come across working at a scrap yard give me an oportunity for hair brained ideas.
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1306
    Registration date : 2009-06-13

Post by Old Skool Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:39 pm

If you are talking about replacing your 3spd manual with a 4spd unit that has a granny gear, it would be real close to the Dag box which no one seems to like the gearing pattern of anyways. I hear that 1st gear is almost useless.
    The hot setup seems to be adapting a 3spd big bell over drive trans to the small six. Which would be much easier if you had the dual pattern bell 200 engine. I hear the overdrive and the 200 are hard to beat.
    vic

vic

Post by Guest Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:15 am

Thanks Vic but I was thinking about adding a second 4spd transmission behind the original 3spd.
    Barnabas
    Barnabas
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager

Number of posts : 2011
    Registration date : 2011-01-16

Post by Barnabas Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:00 am

FrankenVan wrote:Thanks Vic but I was thinking about adding a second 4spd transmission behind the original 3spd.

That would be great if you plan to haul lead bricks up hill.

What are you trying to accomplish by adding a second transmission?
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Post by Old Skool Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:28 am

Wheel base is way too short. If you were going to try and use if for gearing, the Gear Vendors would be the way to go. It acts like a two speed rear axle and doubles your gears. I had one in my Dodge 4whl drive and they are the answer. It not only turned my 727 into a 6 spd, but allowed me to down shift a half gear. Was great when towing the boat. Up a hill and instead of going all the way down into 2nd, I would simply pop it into 2nd over, kept the r's perfect. It was a long drive shaft, and I tried the divorced unit which still didn't work, so went to a married unit even with the long shaft. Ours is too short for anything to stuff in there, unless you were using a C4 as it replaces the tail stock.
    vic
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Post by Old Skool Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:33 am

Here is a pic of the "MARRIED" unit on the back of my 205.
    It was worth the money as I got the towing and the gas mileage, even with the 4:11 rear end gears and a extra low planetary. Miss it for sure..
    vic

Brownie Box? 100_0812

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 10:16 am