VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

Fiberglass doors? Shaved Hinges?

WhiteDove63

Number of posts : 44
    Registration date : 2011-01-13

Fiberglass doors? Shaved Hinges?  Empty Fiberglass doors? Shaved Hinges?

Post by WhiteDove63 Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:47 pm

I'm getting ready to start some bodywork and have been debating doing gullwing doors for both the side and rear portions of my van...I am also looking at doing suicide front doors. My intent is to remove all existing hinges and hardware for a smooth look.

I have a guy that can replicate the doors in fiberglass and I think I'm going to have him make a mold for the individual doors (driver, passenger, side, and rear) and a mold for the two side/rear doors together as one one large "double" door (which will be used for the gullwing application). Also, for the one that will be the large seamless door, I think I'm going to have him make the mold incorporate one large window instead of the two individual windows.

So, I have a few questions:

Has anyone ever done this? If so, any pics/tips would be appreciated.

If I do this, is anyone interested in buying some new fiberglass doors (assuming they come out right)?

Does anyone have info/suggestions for shaved hardware and hinges?
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Number of posts : 7900
    Registration date : 2008-10-08

Fiberglass doors? Shaved Hinges?  Empty Re: Fiberglass doors? Shaved Hinges?

Post by DanTheVanMan Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:06 pm

Now that sounds like a very cool and good idea.

WD,
    Did you ever sell the white van you got from Jonathan?

Dan
    (Fernandina Beach)

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

Fiberglass doors? Shaved Hinges?  Qr_cod10

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:31 pm

DISCLAIMER: I've never done this.
    Chruch's VanGo econoline has hidden hinges, so does Coop's van (A-100).
    On the front 'glass doors, you would probably be smart to incorporate some metal backers and some outlines for the stock hinges, and a backer for the stock latch. This is if you plan on selling them assembled (inner and outer).
    Also have outlines for handles, screws, and bump stops in stock locations. Customers can sand and smooth if not needed, or cut them open if using stock parts.
    On the side/rear doors, you will probably want to have a metal tubing framework sandwiched between the layers, with a removable/adjustable hinge and latch already planned out and ataching points built into the framework.

On the hinges and latches, look at something late model, cheap and in high production numbers so replacement is not set up so you or someone else has to fabricate another, or it's rare/expensive/hard to find. If it has an electric version, even better since many who would buy would want remote too. Something like a Caravan might work, if they used the same parts for years.

Talk to your glass guy about the front door window frames. That would be one of the toughest areas for strength and fitting.

WhiteDove63

Post by WhiteDove63 Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:20 pm

DTVM- Yes, I did sell the van to a guy in St. Augustine...hated to do it, but really just couldn't keep 2 projects going at once.

RodStRace- We are planning to install framework, latches, and hinges, but not sure if we'll mess with the latches and hinges on any additional doors we make unless there's enough people interested in the same custom application I have in mind. If there is a serious interest in "stock" fiberglass doors, then we'll definitely outline all of the areas that would be needed for the hinges/hardware.
    Army of Six
    Army of Six

Number of posts : 241
    Registration date : 2010-10-02

Post by Army of Six Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:37 pm

i dont have any experience with fiberglass but i did gull wing my doors.

Fiberglass doors? Shaved Hinges?  07151012
    Army of Six
    Army of Six

Post by Army of Six Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:39 pm

WhiteDove63

Post by WhiteDove63 Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:18 pm

Army of Six,

Thanks for the pics...I've been thinking along the same lines if I don't do the fiberglass doors. I do have one question for you though...How did you set up the latch for the bottom of the door and what did you do for an exterior handle?

Oh and what were those lifters to support the door? They look perfect...where did you get them?

Thanks.
    Army of Six
    Army of Six

Post by Army of Six Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:27 pm

i bought a universal hot rod door latch. i will try to get some pics of it. the support rods are gas struts for hatch backs. i got them at the local Pep Boys auto store. as for the handle...there isnt one. i have a door solenoid to pop the latch. it works off my alarm keychain. i do have 2 pull type rip cord style handles on the inside to open them in the event a solenoid takes a dump. it was a pretty big job to engineer all of it...at least for my pea brain Smile
    Army of Six
    Army of Six

Post by Army of Six Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:41 pm

here is a pic of the door latch.. i ran an 1/8th inch plate along the bottom of both doors for 2 reasons. 1 to mount the bearclaw latch to it and 2. to strengthen the door(s)

Fiberglass doors? Shaved Hinges?  11161110

Last edited by Army of Six on Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Army of Six
    Army of Six

Post by Army of Six Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:42 pm

here is a pic of the pin at the bottom of the door.. when we are camping or hanging out with the door open i have a tennis ball with a hole in it that i stick on top of the pin so no one catches a knee on it or something. no injuries to report as of now Smile

Fiberglass doors? Shaved Hinges?  11161111

Last edited by Army of Six on Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Army of Six
    Army of Six

Post by Army of Six Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:43 pm

one of the strut brackets.. Fiberglass doors? Shaved Hinges?  11161112
    Army of Six
    Army of Six

Post by Army of Six Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:49 pm

WhiteDove63

Post by WhiteDove63 Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:53 pm

Vic,

You are the man! Thank you so much for the useful info and pics...whether I do the fiberglass one-piece door or not, I love your setup and it's exactly what I have had in mind. If it's cool, I may hit you up again as I get further into it because I'm sure I'll have more questions.
    Army of Six
    Army of Six

Post by Army of Six Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:00 pm

no problem. i will be happy to help where i can.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 18, 2024 5:21 pm