VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

Think I messed up !

Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Think I messed up ! Empty Think I messed up !

Post by Digz Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:47 pm

I'm a great one for trying that Fix-In-A-Can stuff. I mean "What can go wrong for a couple bucks". When Scott was in town I was backing out my drive and noticed a line of red fluid on the ground following me! Okay I have a leak ! no biggie, tightened the hose clamps up on the lines to the cooler and was good to go. Well the van has been parked in the shop for a couple days and I noticed some extra SPOTS under it. I checked it out and wow ALL the rubber hoses to the cooler were weeping a little. I got to thinking, Yep I had put some of that Trans seal conditioner in to try and help with the front seal leaking a little ( I actually had had some luck with the stuff for a used car I bought once that had been sitting awhile). I'm guessing it also likes to soften up rubber hose connections given a little time ! Anyway a tranny drain and hose replacement is on the list for spring now. Just So Ya Know.
    savage
    savage

Number of posts : 2626
    Registration date : 2008-05-15

Think I messed up ! Empty Re: Think I messed up !

Post by savage Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:24 pm

I used some of that stuff in DV PG trans and having the same problem ,with the rubber lines. Don't think I got a mile on it yet(still working out all the bugs & no plate)
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:37 pm

all the graet fix it in a can - only will swell the seals & rubber parts!! Guarenteed -ive done it . Get ready roe a reseal or complete rebuild - dont ever use that stuff. Sad yet from experiences
    Lazarusvan
    Lazarusvan

Number of posts : 1293
    Registration date : 2011-02-22

Post by Lazarusvan Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:23 pm

Interesting point. My wife's father suggested we put some Lucas or similar product that comes in a white metal can into her Saab years ago. Can't recall why he suggested it, but right after that her turbo went up in smoke-lots of white smoke. We had already replaced it months prior and is was too much of a coincidence that it blew up a second time, under warranty after adding the treatment.

Yet, I've heard guys say they used that stuff to stop rear main seal leaks and never had another problem...
    jrinaman
    jrinaman

Number of posts : 890
    Registration date : 2011-03-10

Post by jrinaman Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:30 am

most of that stuff, rad. seal, tranny or engine rebuild in a can, is really best used when the proper repair is more than the value of the vehicle. if its junk anyway, you can 'maybe' get a little more life out of it before sending it to the junkyard. the store bought quick fixes rarely explain this but are just quick fixes marketed to sell. in digs case, i dont think their was any damage other than the rubber lines but a product that plugs a radiator hole will also plug a heater core and any small water passages in motor. you get a little more time before buying the new rad but now you possably ruined the heater core and plugged up the motor so it runs hot, dispite the fact you just installed a new rad.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:32 am