VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

2 posters

New T Series van by Ford

New T Series van by Ford Empty New T Series van by Ford

Post by Guest Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:37 pm

Barnabas
    Barnabas
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager

Number of posts : 2011
    Registration date : 2011-01-16

New T Series van by Ford Empty Re: New T Series van by Ford

Post by Barnabas Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:16 pm

How does the T series compare to the modern Econoline? Larger, Smaller? The article does not compare them.

I actually like the front of the T better than the latest E front end.

Post by Guest Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:32 pm

I agree Barbabas it does look better but I don't care for either one myself. If I had one I would probably get used to it though. The sliding doors on both sides are kinda nice for easy access

Post by Guest Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:37 pm

That is known as the Transit in Europe, where it has been sold for quite some time already. They are a little larger than say an econoline van, more on par with the Dodge/Mercedes/Freightliner Sprinter vans. I wonder if it will be available with some of the same engines they come with in Europe or if they will be different engines entirely like what usually happens.

Post by Guest Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:41 pm

It will be assembled here in the US but I bet the motor will be from Europe. It doesn't appear to be as high as the Sprinter.

Post by Guest Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:55 pm

Like the Sprinter they are available in different configurations to account for the multiple uses the vans will be purchased for. In Europe you can get them short and tall, long and normal height and everything in between. Sitting at standard height they are about 7' tall at the roof. They look smaller than they are, especially when you get close to one.
    My father-in-law (in Germany) had one of his rental houses painted while we were over visiting. The contractor that operated out of one of these happened to be there when we stopped by to check out the new colors. I am 6' tall, the driver and passenger's heads were at my eye level when seated in the seats. Just to kind of give you a better idea on dimensions of them.
    I bet they would do real well over here, much like the smaller version they currently sell here that they call the Transit, which is really more of a mini-van based setup but looks identical.

As far as engines, they typically dont like to use the European versions here. US emissions regulations are actually quite strict compared to European regulations (for diesel engines) and it generally costs as much to engineer an entire new engine vs retrofitting a current engine to meet US standards. Stupid I know, but that is just how our government works.

You can get any vehicle made with a diesel in Europe if you want to. I drool when I hear Wranglers running around with the slight rattle that the 4 cylinder CDI engines produce. Would love to have something like that under the hood of my YJ. Can you say fuel mileage?
    Sy Hollinshead
    Sy Hollinshead

Number of posts : 466
    Registration date : 2008-10-11

Post by Sy Hollinshead Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:20 pm

We've had Ford Transits over here since the 60s. They have been the standard for builders and other manual trades for a long time, although there are a lot of other makes available nowadays as well. The one bad thing about the Fords compared to the other makes such as Renault, Vauxhall and VW is that the Fords rust so quickly....!!!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 1:57 am