VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

2 posters

62 econo truck floor replacement

Smallblockbug
    Smallblockbug

Number of posts : 233
    Registration date : 2011-01-27

62 econo truck floor replacement Empty 62 econo truck floor replacement

Post by Smallblockbug Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:26 pm

Just seeing if anyone has a good pic or reference i can look at. I need to see if i need to reinforce the cab any before i continue removing the floors. I am in the process of getting ready to make and replace them. I basically need to see what the under structure is like and see if the cab is held together more then just by the floors to cab rockers.
    econopoor
    econopoor
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1747
    Registration date : 2010-04-18

62 econo truck floor replacement Empty Re: 62 econo truck floor replacement

Post by econopoor Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:09 pm

I'm not really sure what you are looking for. I've cut a few of these up over the years. I'd say you could take out the whole cab floor as long as you leave the rear cab wall in place. If you take out the rear wall I'd brace for that. I have a pickup now with about 75% of the floor out including the toe board. It's still very stable. The rear edge of the rockers is very well supported by a double wall crossmember. The front of the rocker just has a thin single layer crossmember and the engine arm for support. Both front and rear roll pans are box construction and add a lot to the stability of the body. I wouldn't worry about cutting to them.

Here's a picture of a 61 pickup I cut up a couple of years ago. It will give you some ideas how the crossmembers are laid out.

62 econo truck floor replacement Mytrucks090-vi

Hope this helps. I have other pics if there is something else you want to see.

Duane in Tennessee
    Smallblockbug
    Smallblockbug

Number of posts : 233
    Registration date : 2011-01-27

Post by Smallblockbug Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:01 am

That will work. just wanted to make sure the cab area was supported good enough on its own before i cut out the floors and then have the body moves out of alignment

Post by Guest Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:35 pm

Boy you really chopped it down. Now the trick is to put it all back together. LOL
    I see you have a gas tank that I see so many have been asking for there.
    econopoor
    econopoor
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1747
    Registration date : 2010-04-18

Post by econopoor Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:14 am

That tank was junk. I saved it for the filler neck and vent tube as they are needed for the Mustang tank conversion.

I bought that truck just for the tailgate. It had a fixable one on it and the price was right. It was heading to scrap when I got it. Not much else on it was any good. I never did find a serial number on this one. No stampings anywhere. I know it was a 62 but that's all.

Duane in Tennessee

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 3:26 am