VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+12
panelmanrd
kookykrispy
the_surfing_guy
Roman
Old Dirty
pan58head
austinmodhouse
itruns
Twinpilot001
Digz
G-Man
Leftcoast65
16 posters

Got Diesel ?

Leftcoast65
    Leftcoast65

Number of posts : 77
    Registration date : 2011-08-27

Got Diesel ? Empty Got Diesel ?

Post by Leftcoast65 Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:23 pm

Does any one know what year Gen 1 vans had a Diesel motor. Looking for motor size and if one can "bolt up" to frame? Does anyone have one installed or seen one installed in a Gen 1 van?
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Got Diesel ? Empty Re: Got Diesel ?

Post by G-Man Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:08 pm

Don't believe there were any Diesels in any Chevy Vans till the 80's
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:27 pm

It may have been a couple years, but I'm thinking someone was going to or did put a small Cummins in one. maybe somebody else can recall better...
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:33 pm

Isnt Gasoline a high enough price ?? Id hate to be filling a rattling , oily , smokin, Diesel up with redicously expensive fuel!!
    itruns
    itruns

Number of posts : 1605
    Registration date : 2008-07-03

Post by itruns Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:23 pm

Twinpilot001 wrote:Isnt Gasoline a high enough price ?? Id hate to be filling a rattling , oily , smokin, Diesel up with redicously expensive fuel!!

Aww, come on Pilot, I can see a nice little 90 HP Jetta TDI turbo diesel going in there somehow. Maybe the transaxle powering some all time AWD? My wife gets 45 MPG driving her 2,900 lb 2000 Jetta. (sorry, just daydreaming lol)

Just don't go putting those hap hazardly engineered Oldsmobile Diesels in there!
    austinmodhouse
    austinmodhouse

Number of posts : 575
    Registration date : 2010-07-30

Post by austinmodhouse Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:42 pm

my excursion is nearly 8k lbs and can get 15+ mpg… I stil get 13 mpg when pulling a 3k lb airstream, and it will run on vegetables if necessary. I doubt many of our vants get 20 mpg.

IF you could get a decent diesel in there, you oughta have good torque and MPG, sure the fuel costs more, but it’ll get you further.

my mom has a vw tdi and easily gets 45, sometimes 50 mpg. and the torque is addictive, lotsa fun to put the go pedal down feel it take off.

mercedes also makes decent diesel engines.
    Leftcoast65
    Leftcoast65

Post by Leftcoast65 Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:45 pm

austinmodhouse wrote:my excursion is nearly 8k lbs and can get 15+ mpg… I stil get 13 mpg when pulling a 3k lb airstream, and it will run on vegetables if necessary. I doubt many of our vants get 20 mpg.

IF you could get a decent diesel in there, you oughta have good torque and MPG, sure the fuel costs more, but it’ll get you further.

my mom has a vw tdi and easily gets 45, sometimes 50 mpg. and the torque is addictive, lotsa fun to put the go pedal down feel it take off.

mercedes also makes decent diesel engines.

School Time Very Happy
    I have learned that there were two diesel engines used in chevy trucks
    1963-65. Source was not sure if any were put in vans (general market)but could be special ordered- 4-53 and a v6-53 and they both can run on vegetable oil.

4-53 is a 4 cylinder, 212 displacement, 17.0 Compression Ratio,Gross Horse power 130@2800, Net horse power 118@2800, Gross Torque 271@1500 Net 263@1500(which is more than my present 230 L-6)

6V-53 is a 6 cylinder, 318 displacement, 17.0 Compression Ratio,Gross Horse power 195@2800, Net horse power 183@2800, Gross Torque 423@1500 Net 415@1500

Now the search is on to find one: Very Happy
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:57 pm

Those are old school Detroit Diesels, Probably if in a truck they were military for a guess, at least some kind of hauler. Noisy, Dirty and currently almost no parts support for older engines of that nature. They are also heavy. You could tell when they were out of oil ,, they quit leaking. Our LinkBelt crane runs a 4-53 and I have an extra on a skid in case that one goes.
    pan58head
    pan58head

Number of posts : 512
    Registration date : 2010-03-15

Post by pan58head Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:50 pm

Ok, I'll bite , how about a isuzu truck(NPR) 4 clinder diesel. You coulds even use the standard tranny and best of all they are cable shifted so you could use the shifter also. These motoes are pretty small, and would definitly fit in a early.
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:10 pm

Biggest thing everyone isnt thinking about is the real costs for repair to fuel pumps, injectors & even turbos if so equipped/? also - the re do of fuel systems with return lines & pressure thpe stuff - motor mounts & all such- lots of real fab & work and for what - mileage?? Yet the one guy that does that will be likely the only one thats done it . Think ill kep my gas burner that when i break down on a sunday i can still get parts for it cheaply. Kinda like the ford, chev, & dodge parts costs & availibility?? Happy Vannin=i] affraid
    itruns
    itruns

Post by itruns Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:11 pm

Yep, definitely would not be an inexpensive or anywhere easy drop in. I just dig diesels. Started when I was given a near basket case 4 speed MB 240D for free. Scary to drive it. Absolutely no power. It had a bad thermostat, no shifter handle, frozen wiper bearing, no horn, etc. Gave it some TLC, adjusted the throttle linkage so that it would open all the way and with a decent operating temperature it achive 64 HP and you could comfortably drive in traffic.

Me and the Mrs loved that rust bucket so much we bought a new Jetta TDI. I swear she's going to run that thing until the wheels fall off.

How about a 123 HP turbo 6 cylinder Merc motor from like '81-'85?

Post by Guest Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:36 pm

As far as I know no early or second generation van had a diesel motor unless it was built for the military and even then that is doubtful.

Post by Guest Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:54 pm

Interesting, very interesting
    Old Dirty
    Old Dirty

Number of posts : 70
    Registration date : 2011-05-04

Post by Old Dirty Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:35 pm

I'm building a 4x4 '67 Chevy panel on a '87 pickup chassis with a 350. It's a mini monster truck wanna be in the making (yes I'm nuts) and I think it would be cool as hell to have a Cummins in there. I don't have the cash for anything like that now but should the opportunity present itself I'd be all over it. Also have daydreamed of the rear axle from a Denali pickup with the 4 wheel steering set up independent so it could "crab walk". Cool
    Leftcoast65
    Leftcoast65

Post by Leftcoast65 Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:56 pm

pan58head wrote:Ok, I'll bite , how about a isuzu truck(NPR) 4 clinder diesel. You coulds even use the standard tranny and best of all they are cable shifted so you could use the shifter also. These motoes are pretty small, and would definitly fit in a early.

Thanks Pan58head for the idea Isuza truck motor!!!! I'm on it! Very Happy
    Roman
    Roman

Number of posts : 822
    Registration date : 2010-09-10

Post by Roman Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:21 pm

Yucky! Diesel=stinky and slow.
    itruns
    itruns

Post by itruns Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:55 am

Vanner's Creed:
    I don't try to explain why I am a Vanner. For those who understand, no explanation is necessary. For those who don't, no explanation is possible.

I guess the same can be said for diesel lovers pirat

Post by Guest Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:51 am

I don't like diesel myself but that is just me. I definitely wouldn't desecrate an American made van with a foreign motor.
    Leftcoast65
    Leftcoast65

Post by Leftcoast65 Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:12 pm

vanishingbreed wrote:I don't like diesel myself but that is just me. I definitely wouldn't desecrate an American made van with a foreign motor.
    igend

Its not about desecrating an American made van it's about giving less of my hard earn money to foreign intrest. My van is a daily driver and gasoline is costing me $200 a week. Just looking for alternatives. Thank for your input. Very Happy
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Post by G-Man Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:21 am

I personally see know problem using a foreigh diesel motor. Let face it you can't buy a US auto without foriegh parts in it. It's the times and that won't change. If it get one of these cool vans back on the road I'm for it

Post by Guest Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:38 am

Chris his van is on the road now. It sounds like he is driving it over 900 miles a week since he is spending $200.00 a week on gas. Our old vans were almost totally if not totally made with American made parts and to me should be kept that way. It is his van and he can do as he pleases with it.
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Post by G-Man Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:33 pm

I was speaking in general, I wish things were like they used to be also. Buying all American made stuff, but even the few that are all American made I'm sure many of there suppliers they have someone deals out of the US.

I hope your motor change project works for you and you can save some cash. If you do under take this give us some pictures as you go.
    Roman
    Roman

Number of posts : 822
    Registration date : 2010-09-10

Post by Roman Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:33 pm

Put an LS motor with all the factory injection. You'll be running smooth and get decent mileage.

Depends on your budget too...
    pan58head
    pan58head

Number of posts : 512
    Registration date : 2010-03-15

Post by pan58head Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:35 pm

Hey Roman , don't be giving my ideas away. But serious I'm putting a 2000 5.3 LS with a whipple supercharger in my 64,should say was in but I pulled it to paint the van. This also the van I'm building the cable shifted 4 speed set up for. Sorry for the highjack. I still have a vote for the izusu 4 clyinder diesel,turbo charged of course!!!!! Bob
    the_surfing_guy
    the_surfing_guy

Number of posts : 409
    Registration date : 2012-08-15

Post by the_surfing_guy Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:59 am

Leftcoast65 wrote:
    vanishingbreed wrote:I don't like diesel myself but that is just me. I definitely wouldn't desecrate an American made van with a foreign motor.
    igend

Its not about desecrating an American made van it's about giving less of my hard earn money to foreign intrest. My van is a daily driver and gasoline is costing me $200 a week. Just looking for alternatives. Thank for your input. Very Happy

Leftcoast65 - good meeting you the other day...how did the radiator repair go? How much $$$ was it? Thanks!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:45 pm