VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

ram air baby

ram air baby Empty ram air baby

Post by Guest Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:03 pm

I put this ram air system in today, it sounds like a little jet engine. its the hot air distribuition motor from a vw van. it puts out like a leaf blower right at the air cleaner. it is not a sealed air box. lots of fresh air now!!!

ram air baby Dsc07310

ram air baby Dsc07311

ram air baby Dsc07312

ram air baby Dsc07313
    Sy Hollinshead
    Sy Hollinshead

Number of posts : 466
    Registration date : 2008-10-11

ram air baby Empty Re: ram air baby

Post by Sy Hollinshead Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:11 pm

Nice job, i am thinking about doing something similar, although i was looking at one of these....

http://www.cbsonline.co.uk/product/Axial_Fan_AXFAN

Yours looks a lot more powerful.... hehe

Sy

Post by Guest Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:03 am

go find a blower from a vw van, this little fan is very powerfull and rubber mounted so quiet. outside the scoop sounds like a jet engine intake but not so loud but it does the same kind of sounds. ( i work on aircraft) now i want to make it force feed the carb somehow instead of just blowing at it

Post by Guest Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:48 pm

ok so now its full ram air! i made a leather plenum out of a cowboy boot upper. (my sons idea) now with the flick of a switch i have leaf blower level air pressure puonding down the carb body with almost no air leakage at all. you should see me go up the hill now! hee haw! i put a wind pipe style coil spring in the leather plenum because under high load the boot starts to collapse. now with the coil spring i can reach high rpm and beyond.

Post by Guest Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:58 pm

so i looked it up and this would be a kiud of forced induction and intercooler combo in the sense that the air is loaded under force into the manifold, yet the air is still cold and moist as opposed to a supercharger which requires an intercooler to keep the Nox and pinging down due to increased combustion temperatures. its like having a hood scoop thats putting air into the engine at 60 mph but at any speed all the time.

Post by Guest Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:20 pm

interesting idea. I have a turbo bonnet and some chrome tubing so it would be easy to do that.
    Hellfish

Number of posts : 146
    Registration date : 2011-03-01

Post by Hellfish Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:21 am

So, you don't need to enrichen the fuel mix when the blower is on forcing more air in?

When the blower is off, are you just sucking air through the tube, past the blower?
    gh0st
    gh0st

Number of posts : 50
    Registration date : 2011-07-25

Post by gh0st Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:07 am

this is awesome.
    you should wire in a rheostat that's synched with the engine speed, so the more rpms you turn, the faster the fan motor blows.
    and watch out for water!

look up "leaf blower civic" on youtube for justification bounce
    (i would drop the vid here, but i'm at work)

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:54 pm