VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

JB weld exhaust leak repair?

gh0st
    gh0st

Number of posts : 50
    Registration date : 2011-07-25

JB weld exhaust leak repair? Empty JB weld exhaust leak repair?

Post by gh0st Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:28 am

van: '61 econo panel
    engine: 200/6 from a '66-ish mustang
    problem: exhaust leak at no.1 cylinder exhaust port

before anyone starts to chastise me here, let me just say that know the correct repair procedures, and i simply don't have the time for it.

at some point during the engine's life, it developed an exhaust leak at the no.1 cylinder exhaust port that was not addressed for many thousands of miles. this of course led to the exhaust gasket burning away and eventually wore down the gasket mating surface of the cylinder head. with a brand new exhaust manifold gasket, there is still a gap of 1/8"-1/16" between manifold and cylinder head. the gap is in the rear-facing side of the exhaust port for reference (it blows hot exhaust directly at the no.2 cylinder exhaust port).

how feasible would it be to use JB weld or a comparable high-temp tolerant metal filler to build the gasket mating surface of the cylinder head back up? given proper prep work for the cylinder head metal, thorough curing time, sanding to level, new gasket, etc... what are the chances that it would work? has anyone used metal filler in this sort of applications with success?

thanks van dudes.

JB weld exhaust leak repair? Empty Re: JB weld exhaust leak repair?

Post by Guest Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:22 pm

In this case I would get some muffler 'weld' to fill in the gaps. It is used to seal an exhaust pipe to another pipe or into a muffler. The stuff I used on my Jeep when I was fighting stock manifold leaks I got from NAPA. It was like $6. It says that it is "iron reinforced" or something like that. Worked great for what I needed it for.

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 6:17 am