VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

Has anyone made any inquiries about this 68 window van in Maine?

NipRing
    NipRing

Number of posts : 336
    Registration date : 2011-08-14

Has anyone made any inquiries about this 68 window van in Maine? Empty Has anyone made any inquiries about this 68 window van in Maine?

Post by NipRing Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:15 pm

http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/ctd/2597896989.html
    I ask because tuesday i fly out to providence to look at/potentially but a 65 chevy for $3200. The dodge i linked to above is about 2 hours north of there and is listed for 6000. I think its a used car lot, hence the "call M-F 8-5pm". When i get home from work at 4:30 central time its already 5:30 their time. I'm taking about 4500 with me, and I really like the idea of the 4x4 of this dodge. I'd offer the 4500 cash and see if they bite, but i hate to rent a car drive 2 hours away A. if they wont sell at that price, and B. if anyone has anything bad to say about it here. I'm gonna try calling tomorrow morning on the off chance someone might answer. Otherwise i'll call monday at lunch time. And thats cutting it to the 11th hour! Either way, i'm coming home with an early! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Bill
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Has anyone made any inquiries about this 68 window van in Maine? Empty Re: Has anyone made any inquiries about this 68 window van in Maine?

Post by G-Man Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:46 am

It has been for sale for a while

Has anyone made any inquiries about this 68 window van in Maine? Empty Re: Has anyone made any inquiries about this 68 window van in Maine?

Post by Guest Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:15 am

Pretty cool looking rig. I would be concerned with fuel mileage with the original 3 speed still behind the 318. The ad doesnt mention what kind of condition the majority of the rig is in. I would check it over very very thoroughly before deciding its the one for you, especially if you have a long drive home. Make sure the shifter linkage bushings arent worn out (mine were, was a bear to shift into the gear you wanted). Check out the clutch linkages, mine are about worn out as well. Make sure you look at the tightness of the steering linkages. The drag link especially can be hard to find. Look at the rear driveline, see if it still has the ball and trunion front joint. They dont like to operate at very high of angles, which the lifting to fit 4wd might place it in. If its still in place it can indicate that the 4wd was just thrown under the rig and I would be leery of how the entire rest of the system was put together. If there are new drivelines with proper CV joints and slip joints within the shafts themselves this would indicate a job done correctly, with the intention of making the rig driveable.
    Just some things to keep an eye on in case you decide to look at it/buy it.
    Good luck!
    NipRing
    NipRing

Post by NipRing Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:34 pm

Thanks for the advice Mopar. If i actually get in touch with them and if we can agree on an approx price, then i'll drive up and check it out. There is a lot of "ifs" here. Sometimes when things are for sale for a while, lower offers start to look good. I emailed them and told them I'm flying out to RI with cash in my hand and one way or another, i'm going home with a van. I dont have time to fool around.
    SnarkyPoet
    SnarkyPoet

Number of posts : 174
    Registration date : 2009-12-22

Post by SnarkyPoet Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:12 pm

I haven't actually looked at it yet, but I'm almost positive that the yellow and white van in Maine was the same one I looked at two years ago in NH. At that time, it had already been converted to 4WD and had a 318 in it. It was pretty rough, but not rusty at all. The van was originally from Oregon, if I remember correctly. I think the previous owner was asking around $1000 for it at the time. It looks like it's been repainted and cleaned up a lot, but I'm pretty sure it's the same rig.
    NipRing
    NipRing

Post by NipRing Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:04 am

I actually got in contact with the previous owner, and it was indeed yellow and white a few years ago. I email him last night after i found a for sale post for a 1968 Dodge A100 4x4 in ME from a few years ago on MassMopar forum. He emailed me this morning and said "Hi, yes that was mine.. I sold it he gentleman in Maine.. I am very sorry i sold it as the van was very very solid to start with and very unique.. But i am glad to see it restored! WHat would you like to know about it.. I think i still have some before pics.." "Mechanically it was sound. Ran good.. I never took it down the road cause it didnt have much for breaks when i had it.. But the guy i sold it to runs a body shop and when i delivered the van to him i was impressed with his shop and he seemed to know his stuff.. Im sure it will be an interesting ride! But i dont think it will give much trouble.. " "Cool. The Dodge is really cool and one of a kind.. Its not a factory thing but a good conversion. (they never made a factory 4x4 a100) Here is a little inside info.. He paid me 1100 for the van plus 200 for delivery.... IM sure hes got a ton of time into it.. But if he is in a pinch he may take your offer. Here is a couple of before pics.. just or fun....

Good luck either way! I wish i had the $$ i would try to buy it back!"

The pics from a few years ago ...
    Has anyone made any inquiries about this 68 window van in Maine? IMG_1935
    Has anyone made any inquiries about this 68 window van in Maine? IMG_1932
    Has anyone made any inquiries about this 68 window van in Maine? IMG_1926

Post by Guest Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:19 pm

Sounds like you have a phone call to make Monday!? If he did all the work/paint himself at his own body shop he is probably into the rig $3K after paint, including what he bought it for. Maybe you can catch him in just the right mood to accept your offer. Often times cash talks really loud.
    NipRing
    NipRing

Post by NipRing Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:46 pm

Things are looking extremely good for me and this a100! Will update tomorrow afternoon. Wish me luck!
    Bill

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 5:41 pm