VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+2
Twinpilot001
Big W
6 posters

"simplevan" '65 GMC HANDI-BUS Custom

"simplevan" '65 GMC HANDI-BUS Custom Empty "simplevan" '65 GMC HANDI-BUS Custom

Post by Guest Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:38 am

I intend to chronicle all progress. Pictures are paramount. So it begins...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/67302673@N02/

"simplevan" '65 GMC HANDI-BUS Custom Img_1213

simpleman

Big W
    Big W

Number of posts : 3282
    Registration date : 2011-01-13

"simplevan" '65 GMC HANDI-BUS Custom Empty Re: "simplevan" '65 GMC HANDI-BUS Custom

Post by Big W Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:34 pm

Ummmm...What color you painting that snazzzy roof rack.
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

"simplevan" '65 GMC HANDI-BUS Custom Empty Re: "simplevan" '65 GMC HANDI-BUS Custom

Post by Twinpilot001 Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:03 pm

Bet he's going to "Chrome" it!! affraid [i]
    cl350rr
    cl350rr

Number of posts : 287
    Registration date : 2011-07-31

Post by cl350rr Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:49 pm

can't wait to see progress on the van. in the mean time, what is the purpose of the rack? looks like it stands up into a raised platform toward the front, is that right?

Post by Guest Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:37 pm

cl350rr wrote:can't wait to see progress on the van. in the mean time, what is the purpose of the rack? looks like it stands up into a raised platform toward the front, is that right?
    Yup, that's right. It's a scaffolding. The former owner fabbed it up. He used the truck to creep around buildings with the scaffold up working on soffetts, gutters and what not. He clamped and bolted the whole thing on, so no drilled holes. He asked me if he could have it, and I relented...but only after a second thought.

I need bumpers, turnsignals, wind shield, a solid disk-brake conversion to start off with.

The good: No door latch, window glass or serious electrical issues to speak of.

And, supposadly - Lord willing, no significant rust. I'm sure I have a gazillion dollar trip to the body shop foreboding on the horizon, but we're gonna use her for travel and utility for a while.

This is my first bus that's not an aircooled VW. "GMC HANDI-BUS Custom" That means it's still a bus right?

G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:19 pm

Looks like a very solid van
    Donn
    Donn

Number of posts : 692
    Registration date : 2009-04-05

Post by Donn Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:52 am

Very nice start....good luck
    From the picture does not look like it lived its life in NY?

Post by Guest Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:29 am

Big W wrote:Ummmm...What color you painting that snazzzy roof rack.

Thought it is wildly cool, the former owner asked if he could keep it. He fabbed it up. I figure he has artistic license to keep it. I do dig it though...

Post by Guest Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:30 am

Donn wrote:Very nice start....good luck
    From the picture does not look like it lived its life in NY?
    Indeed, it has not. Always a plus.

"simplevan" '65 GMC HANDI-BUS Custom Empty ...brief Situation Report (SITREP)

Post by Guest Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:49 pm

Just spoke with the seller. He told me that he put a 1980 250" straight six in the van 15 years ago. He's supposed to email me more information tonight...his verbage..."I'll send you the feedin' and waterin' info this evnin'." I'm stoked.

Post by Guest Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:19 pm

feedin and waterin info??? Hahaha

Post by Guest Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:50 pm

kaboom. My van is getting loaded on a transporter right now in Bozeman, MT and is on it's way home to Central NY. I guess I need to find a 2nd Gen doghouse. I intend to do the small-block swap. One thing I love about these vans, as opposed to the VW Bus is that with relatively little modification these things can be screamers. The VW's are way underpowered, cool, but under powered.

big plans Cool

VANagain
    VANagain

Number of posts : 1046
    Registration date : 2008-05-16

Post by VANagain Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:20 am

Hey Simplevan,

That ain't no simple van you've got there. That's the top-of-the-line model GMC van! Looks like the HandiBus Custom is the equivalent to the Chevy Sportvan Deluxe, but I'm sure yours is much more rare. You've got the trim running around just under the windows and the vinyl interior. I bet it was originally red and white on the exterior. Two tone always looks nice with that trim. And you hardly ever see a dash pad! (Let me know if you want to know how to remove it. Mine was not easy. I'll send you photos.)

When is your van expected to arrive? That's always an exciting day!

You can buy brand new shiny blinkers from Brothers. They're having a sale right now. Looks like you could use the complete assemblies for the front and lenses and trim for the rear. I bought them and they are top notch. Order now so you'll be ready to bolt them on ASAP!

Post by Guest Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:58 pm

VANagain wrote:Hey Simplevan,

That ain't no simple van you've got there. That's the top-of-the-line model GMC van! Looks like the HandiBus Custom is the equivalent to the Chevy Sportvan Deluxe, but I'm sure yours is much more rare. You've got the trim running around just under the windows and the vinyl interior. I bet it was originally red and white on the exterior. Two tone always looks nice with that trim. And you hardly ever see a dash pad! (Let me know if you want to know how to remove it. Mine was not easy. I'll send you photos.)

When is your van expected to arrive? That's always an exciting day!

You can buy brand new shiny blinkers from Brothers. They're having a sale right now. Looks like you could use the complete assemblies for the front and lenses and trim for the rear. I bought them and they are top notch. Order now so you'll be ready to bolt them on ASAP!

Dude, Thanks for all the info! You're going on the Christmas card list! I'm ordering that trash tonight, as my van arrived last night!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OH SNAP!!!!!!!!!I'm gonna shoot some pics tomorrow. She'll be on the road in no time.

It was the red and white interior and red/white paint scheme. Good eye. I love the trim. So little rust. The roof looks like a gaggle of leprechauns danced a jig up there, but the body isn't bad. I'm loving the straight six's potential.

Keep the info coming. I want it all.

BTW - She has safari windows too!

Post by Guest Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:02 am

afro I am going to take pictures in mass tomorrow. I am a journalist by trade. A lot has transpired since she got here last week. Engine is uber-clean now. New cap, rotor, plugs etc. New front glass and rubbers on the way,No rust. Good brakes. Jetta seats are next. shapow.

Hey VANagain, I'm ordering that trash right now. Throwing some jetta seats up front. Already ripped out a bunch of shelves that were built in for construction stuff, previous owner use to use her for a work truck, hence the sweet scaffolding attached. It's gone now. The roof looks like a bunch of "little people" danced a jig on it, but it's not rust. That's good.

I can drive anything, as we all can I'm sure, but I have to say this will be my first rendezvous with a 3-on-the-tree. '74 250" straight-six. Single barrel Carter.

No idea how it's geared, but I'll have her on the road next week. Just in time to check the leaves out in the Adirondacks.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:07 pm