VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+2
RodStRace
Lazarusvan
6 posters

Shipping a Van

Lazarusvan
    Lazarusvan

Number of posts : 1293
    Registration date : 2011-02-22

Shipping a Van Empty Shipping a Van

Post by Lazarusvan Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:57 am

I've only shipped a car once and it was an Ebay purchase with Paypal protection.

Anyone have any experience with how to make payment without just sending a cashier's check before the van even hits the truck? An exact time table is never guaranteed with shippers.

I don't want to exchange money until it's on the truck with the title in hand. Not sure how to make all this happen sight unseen as it's too far away to drive and flying there isn't really an option.

I was wondering about a courier service or attorney, but I'm trying not to pile up expenses. Thanks for the help.
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Shipping a Van Empty Re: Shipping a Van

Post by RodStRace Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:15 am

This topic comes up frequently on forums.
    Communicaton is the biggest thing, followed by using a good transport Co.
    The normal timeline is this:
    Buyer and seller reach an agreement on the transaction. Often the seller sends a copy of the title to the buyer to insure the paperwork is in order. The buyer sets up the transport, with a set date and rough time for pickup. Buyer sends money to seller before vehicle is picked up, and the seller sends the title to the buyer, usually overnight.
    The seller takes photos or video of the vehicle before pickup in case any damage happens. Vehicle is transported.
    As you can see, there must be communication and trust.
    Unless you have a representative who can physically oversee the pickup and hand over the payment, this is the most common set-up.
    Roman
    Roman

Number of posts : 822
    Registration date : 2010-09-10

Post by Roman Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:11 am

Rod St. Race is right on the money. I've never heard of a seller even consider putting a vehicle on a truck without payment. You might be able to negotiate getting the title without pay with a decent deposit though. Establishing a good rapport with the seller is the most important thing. With every long distance purchase like that, there is always a brief point where you'll be vulnerable and think OH $HIT am I about to get effed?? It's just the name of the game.

Post by Guest Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:43 am

Depending on where the vehicle is being shipped from, and the shipping company itself, I know of some truckers/shippers here that will accept more payment than the actual shipping cost, and will in turn give that extra money to the seller of the vehicle. Basically the truck driver is giving the seller the funds for the purchase, with the provisions that the VIN #'s match on the title and the vehicle itself and that vehicle condition isnt grossly different than what the buyer deems its condition to be from contact with the seller. This also helps in case there is a problem with the vehicle and the deal falls through. The shipper can return the funds to you, minus the pick-up fee generally.

Another thing to ask your shipping company about; some require *EDIT* A COPY OF* the title to travel with the vehicle so that there aren't any questions on the vehicles legitimacy throughout shipping. Nobody wants to haul a stolen vehicle, nor do they want to be accused of stealing said vehicle.

Like I said though, depends on the shipping company itself.

Last edited by MoparFreak69 on Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:58 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : 3 missed words = bad information :()
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Post by RodStRace Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:54 pm

I would warn against shipping the title with the vehicle.
    There are some bad apples in the shipping biz, and so long as there is a bill of lading, they should have no issue with moving a vehicle. If there is any question, they should have your contact info and the cop can always run the numbers.
    Check into interstate shipping, and they have some pretty loose rules that favor the shipper. The rig is subject to DOT regs which are tight, but the shipping is all for their benefit. No way I'd hand them the vehicle AND the title.

BTW, if there is a forum member close to the seller, you may be able to have them broker the deal, but you should really work with the seller, unless they are a slack-jawed nitwit.
    fmc56
    fmc56

Number of posts : 553
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by fmc56 Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:28 pm

I have used MJR Transport from Glendale AZ several times with no problems. He is an owner/operater, no brokers involved and runs from Los Angeles to New England on a regular basis. I usually ship from Glendale AZ to Warwick RI, nopn operastiong vehicle, even flat tires, average price is $1000.00 door to door. Payment was made on delivery of the vehicle to me.
    Fred

Post by Guest Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:57 pm

RodStRace wrote:I would warn against shipping the title with the vehicle.
    No way I'd hand them the vehicle AND the title.

You are right, I meant to say that they like to have a COPY of the title.
    Good catch on that one. I will edit my previous post to avoid further confusion/bad information.
    A copy of the title is generally good enough for any spot checks that may occur along its path. As long as he has the rest of his books in order there shouldnt be any trouble anyway.
    cl350rr
    cl350rr

Number of posts : 287
    Registration date : 2011-07-31

Post by cl350rr Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:22 pm

ok, what happens when the vehicle being shipped has no title?
    Stoopid john
    Stoopid john

Number of posts : 265
    Registration date : 2011-06-03

Post by Stoopid john Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:31 pm

The van i bought was from GA and had no title. I set up the shipper and paid for the van. The shipper didn't care at all about paperwork. I had the seller mail me the bill of sale and they both showed up on the same day. I had no problem with anything, i even got a FL title with ease.

It was scary only seeing pictures and i wasn't 100% happy about the no title thing.
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Post by RodStRace Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:24 pm

Go to YOUR state's department for this and find out what they want for you to get legal title when you purchase from the state you are buying from.
    A lot of this can be researched on this great site.
    http://www.semasan.com/main/main.aspx?id=62843

Get all these questions answered and make sure you will get all needed paperwork BEFORE sending money.
    Ill. is especially bad about the process.

Post by Guest Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:37 pm

I have shipped a lot of vans. First the seller gets paid then he takes pics of any damage. He photo copies the title and sends original to buyer. Buyer then sets a pick up with a hauler. Every transport co. I have ever used wanted $100.00-$200.00 deposit( his commission) via credit card and would not charge the card until the vehicle was picked up. The hauler would deliver the vehicle and the buyer would then pay the remaining amount due to the driver. Always check the vehicle for damage and take pics so you can compare them to the sellers pics.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:13 pm