VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

Shipping a Van

Rayallen
    Rayallen

Number of posts : 648
    Registration date : 2011-06-27

Shipping a Van Empty Shipping a Van

Post by Rayallen Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:37 am

Ive been looking at a lot of van lately all over the country. For those of you who have used a shipper/Auto carrier who did you go with? Im looking for someone reliable and affordable. Ive gotten a couple of quotes for cali to texas for $1500. Does that not seem steep?

Any recommendations would be great.

Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Shipping a Van Empty Re: Shipping a Van

Post by Twinpilot001 Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:10 am

get it on a "Back Haul" basis from some of the car carriers. A No- rush thingy
    Rayallen
    Rayallen

Number of posts : 648
    Registration date : 2011-06-27

Post by Rayallen Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:03 am

Thanks, I used the search feature on here and found some similar threads. Got an idea of what I need to do.
    Donn
    Donn

Number of posts : 692
    Registration date : 2009-04-05

Post by Donn Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:15 pm

Don't believe or expect the transporter to stick to the time or amount they quote you at first. Try and find a seller that will hold on to your truck for three or more weeks after you pay him for transporter to pick up.
    DON'T go with cheapest price, it will be rasied more then a transporter who gives you a more honest price to start with.
    There are many issues with transporters. If you want more info PM me I have a company I have used three times and I am happy with them, but I do know the game and how it works and that helps a lot..
    Lazarusvan
    Lazarusvan

Number of posts : 1293
    Registration date : 2011-02-22

Post by Lazarusvan Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:54 pm

Donn wrote: Don't believe or expect the transporter to stick to the time or amount they quote you at first. Try and find a seller that will hold on to your truck for three or more weeks after you pay him for transporter to pick up.
    DON'T go with cheapest price, it will be rasied more then a transporter who gives you a more honest price to start with.
    There are many issues with transporters. If you want more info PM me I have a company I have used three times and I am happy with them, but I do know the game and how it works and that helps a lot..

Ditto. I purchased a car on Ebay about a year ago and it was run around city. I DON'T recommend using an online search that involves putting in your parameters, email, etc. You will be inundated with phone calls and emails, even after you actually make a decision. They basically post your info on a "board" for all companies to see and they bid on taking your car. DO NOT pay anyone upfront, even with a deposit. It's like sharks swimming to chum. If you like used car salesmen, you will like the transporter companies.

My guy took much longer than he was suppossed to as he was waiting to fill up his truck. I had given them a drop dead date that I had to have the car and he promised to get it there on time. Every day was a delay and an excuse. The only good thing was I negotiated directly with the driver for $100 off since I had hired him with a specific timeline in mind.

Ask them if they care...I found the transport business to be one of the biggest rackets around. Expect the worse and be pleasantly surprised if you recieve better. Do I seem pissed? You betcha.
    EconoCarl
    EconoCarl

Number of posts : 1109
    Registration date : 2008-05-19

Post by EconoCarl Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:30 pm

I paid for my last van on July 8th of last year and it was in Northern California. It arrived here in Beaumont Texas on July 30 and the transport cost us $1200. Sure it took a little while to get here, but I wasn't expecting anyone to stop what they were doing to go get my van and bring it to me! The auto transport business is something that just 'happens', you've got to be patient. The guy that finally picked up mine said his regular route is east and west along the I-10 corridor and up and down the California coast. He would pick up and drop off all along the way, coordinating times with many owners and sellers each trip.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:40 pm