VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

Questions for the pro vanners in my A-100 search

Questions for the pro vanners in my A-100 search Empty Questions for the pro vanners in my A-100 search

Post by Guest Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:53 am

Hi -- I'm getting started on a search for a short A100 window van (any year). My long term goal for working on it would be to keep it or return it to a stock look. Any sellers or suggestions for vans in the orange county or surrounding areas are greatly appreciated! This would be my first project vehicle apart from my 1st driver, which was my dad's 73 volkswagen bug...Regardless, I have some questions for the A100 owners out there before I buy, please pardon my new-be questions.

*On the body, other than rust what should I be looking for?
    *Engine wise (if it runs) are there any problems that are common for these things?
    *What is the bumper to bumper length? (I need to be able to fit the thing in the garage)

Thanks in advance!
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Questions for the pro vanners in my A-100 search Empty Re: Questions for the pro vanners in my A-100 search

Post by RodStRace Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:40 pm

Welcome!
    Body: as with any metal body, rust and dents. Pay attention to the lower corners, they are almost all bumped at some point.
    Engine: common problems? Uh, if it's 45 years old, worn out. If it's been rebuilt recently, shoddy work. Perhaps the biggest thing is making sure it cools. Due to the age, the most common problems are electrical. worn out parts tend to get replaced, but if it still runs, many people ignore electrical issues.
    Length:
    take a look at this ebay ad for a brochure with the info 171" 100 or 189" 108.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/1967-Dodge-A100-vs-A108-Extended-Wheelbase-Van-Brochure-/320185075001?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4a8c848539
    oo3

Number of posts : 290
    Registration date : 2008-06-01

Questions for the pro vanners in my A-100 search Empty Re: Questions for the pro vanners in my A-100 search

Post by oo3 Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:14 pm

be patient and wait for the right one - you being in cali should be able to come up with an original clean more rust free one - all what rod said - with my 66 i had a good driving former cali van - drives nice down the freeway strait not much bump steer at all - now my recently acquired 69 another story - bad bump steer to the point i wont drive over about 35 until it gets fixed - needs front end work possible steering box rebuild - not cheap - so thats another thing to look for - but the good thing these are simple machines - oo3
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8729
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by dix Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:29 pm

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:29 am