VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

fading oxidized flat paint solution

fading oxidized flat paint solution Empty fading oxidized flat paint solution

Post by Guest Tue May 24, 2011 6:30 pm

i just gave the elephant a bath in WD40. it looks like brand new paint again. it took about half an hour. the guy who striped the van told me how to do it. wow bounce
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

fading oxidized flat paint solution Empty Re: fading oxidized flat paint solution

Post by G-Man Tue May 24, 2011 7:28 pm

Never have heard of that before
    Lockwasher
    Lockwasher

Number of posts : 11
    Registration date : 2011-02-10

fading oxidized flat paint solution Empty Re: fading oxidized flat paint solution

Post by Lockwasher Wed May 25, 2011 8:03 am

Do tell Steve? I got mucho rust and oxidization and am wonder what the process is.

Post by Guest Sat May 28, 2011 7:19 am

just get a gallon of liquid wd40 and sponge bath that mother. if you have a flat paint job it will look like day one and the rain just beads up and rolls right off. you will also wind up lubricating your hinges. after i went under the van and poured wd40 all over the place. it shifts better now, the springs stopped creaking like a bed at the super 8 and best of all, it smells like wd40 in my whole front yard.
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8729
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by dix Sun May 29, 2011 9:56 am

back in the early 70's we did the same thing with kerosene same result it lubed up evert thing and removed road grime. we allways did it at a quater car wash. it was like a ice scating rink when we left. I would not want to be the next one in the stall. he should have went on his ass right away...
    EconoUSAparts
    EconoUSAparts

Number of posts : 2198
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by EconoUSAparts Sun May 29, 2011 6:41 pm

Let just hope you never want to ever paint that van in the future. Oil is hell on paintjobs and drives paint guys nuts. It causes major fisheyes in paint. My buddy used to forbid its use anywhere near his paint booth. He got irritated just seeing a can around his paint shop for that matter.
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Mon May 30, 2011 6:45 am

yes it works - just wont last a loooong time . Best is wetsand lightly & shoot a clear enamel over it. Brings all back like new =almost

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 01, 2024 7:40 pm