VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+5
Bear
Twinpilot001
Barnabas
dix
oo3
9 posters

ot @&#$ door handles

oo3

Number of posts : 290
    Registration date : 2008-06-01

ot @&#$ door handles Empty ot @&#$ door handles

Post by oo3 Fri May 20, 2011 2:57 pm

sob - the other day tried to open a passenger door on my daily driver - 2001 chevy prizm ( corolla ) broke off in my hand - i know any of yous that has a toyota around that time period can probably feel my pan - i have had every handle both out and in brake at least once - i even bought a box (50) - of the clips that hold the inner door panels on - there may be a trick to not braking some of them upon removal of the panel but i dont know it -and the exterior handles may need an adjust - the 2 fronts sometimes for the key to unlock i have to flip the handle first - or sometimes from the inside the handle wont open the door and i cant pull the lock knob up until i roll the window down and flip up the exterior handle ! - just venting - oo3
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8735
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

ot @&#$ door handles Empty Re: ot @&#$ door handles

Post by dix Fri May 20, 2011 6:19 pm

BUY AMERICIAN
    Barnabas
    Barnabas
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager

Number of posts : 2011
    Registration date : 2011-01-16

Post by Barnabas Sun May 22, 2011 8:10 am

dix wrote: BUY AMERICIAN

Maybe that should be "Buy Classic American!"

All of the outside door handles on my 2000 Econoline broke within a few years and had to be replaced. I don't remember ever braking an Early Econoline door handle!
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Sun May 22, 2011 8:19 am

Thats when we made things from metal-reason #1 to keep the ol vans
    Bear
    Bear

Number of posts : 849
    Registration date : 2010-11-23

Post by Bear Sun May 22, 2011 7:14 pm

you know i am just as american as you can get so please don,t take this wrong, and there is nothing wrong with what you said here in this post Dix but people please come on here, all the cars/trucks/even our beloved earlys have forean made parts in then.i get so tired of the bumper sticker i see that say OUT OF A JOB YET, BUY AMERICAN. my 1969 108 chevy van the wireing harness has a lable MADE IN MEXICO. the maulbu cars in the 1980 were bulit in canada.i guess what i,m trying to say is there is no such thing as a all american bulit auto anymore.
    kiwimopar
    kiwimopar

Number of posts : 746
    Registration date : 2010-01-23

Post by kiwimopar Sun May 22, 2011 7:23 pm

...and the brake drums I bought for my GTX and A100 both say 'Made in Argentina'...the car and truck still have good brakes Cool

Not all Chinese and foreign stuff is bad....you just need to be able to sort the chaff from the wheat Wink

I bought the new repro dog-dish caps from E-Parts in Canada....but the package arrived 3 days later from China....the caps are nice and shiny, fit well and look the part.
    oo3

Post by oo3 Sun May 22, 2011 11:56 pm

dont know how a door handle post morphed into made in america post but i will bite - last time i checked fremont california , where the prizm and corolla were made, was still part of the united states - last time i checked chevy was still part of gm = government motors - which we tax payers still own a part of - we had a discussion at vcvc a few years back on this with some good points - one i made - Post

i see over and over the import versus domestic vehicle choice brings out some strong feelings - but do you put that much thought into your other purchases - did you check when you bought your washer, dryer, fridge etc to see where it was made? - your tv ? clothes, tools even food ! - are you drinking a corona watching that imported tv eating some imported shrimp cocktail ! - yes it gets harder and harder to buy american - even good old Budweiser is foreign owned now - but as pointed out there has to be value to a product no matter where its made - if its american made/owned and its crap its still crap - i pay more for my red wing boots but there is value there - i wear them just about every day , they fit well and last me a good 3-4 years - a cheaper import would barely make 1 year - here is one site for made in usa products - http://www.stillmadeinusa.com/
    i am sure there are more sites you could check - oo3

Bear
    Bear

Number of posts : 849
    Registration date : 2010-11-23

Post by Bear Mon May 23, 2011 11:10 am

sorry about that 003 i have had that though on my mined for some time now. saw the open window and climed in, L.O.L.
    kiwimopar
    kiwimopar

Number of posts : 746
    Registration date : 2010-01-23

Post by kiwimopar Mon May 23, 2011 12:47 pm

Bear wrote:sorry about that 003 i have had that though on my mined for some time now. saw the open window and climed in, L.O.L.

Me too Sad

It is just worth noting that quality does not equal origin every time.
    oo3

Post by oo3 Tue May 24, 2011 4:35 am

its all good - i actually find it interesting when some posts get off track - i am sure it probably drives some people nuts though - oo3
    itruns
    itruns

Number of posts : 1605
    Registration date : 2008-07-03

Post by itruns Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:48 am

Mind if I vent about the bean counters at GM that decided to hold the cylinders in PLASTIC so anyone can get in your van in seconds and steal most of the tools you make a living with?

On the Made in the US thing, I've given up explaining to my father that neither the Iron Duke nor the Leaning Tower of Power is no longer manufactured anywhere, DOHC aluminum heads are here to stay and all cars are now a stew of components designed and manufactured from around world.
    Vanish
    Vanish
    Admin

Number of posts : 5155
    Registration date : 2008-05-02

Post by Vanish Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:55 am

WELCOME BACK itruns ................... WERE YOU BEEN ?????????????

itruns
    itruns

Post by itruns Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:31 am

Vanish wrote:WELCOME BACK itruns ................... WERE YOU BEEN ?????????????

Replacing even more stolen tools lol. This time all 4 work vans got the fulgy hockey pucks and windows screens. Why is it always MY truck that gets hit? Damn crackheads!

Thanks Vanish! Got the early back from the body shop last fall and was very happy to have it back. Business sucked last year, but the stripped early had surface rust attacking it, so my meager W2 money went to the body shop. Thankfully my wife brings in a good salary and we have little debt, so the bills got paid. Busted my butt bidding jobs, landed several decent ones and have been very busy since February. Hoping to get some receivable money in shortly and get the van put back together. Damn depressing seeing it just sitting there everyday and not being able to work on it.

Love you guys, but I just had to focus on getting the shop profitable. Just gotta learn to stay off this site while at work so I can take care of business. Oops, I did it again!
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:55 am

itruns nice to see you back, is it painted now???
    itruns
    itruns

Post by itruns Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:03 am

Yep, I posted pics back in the day lol. I'll get some more after I get the battery I bought last summer charged. These guys never learn where the 'OFF' position is. I tell them to just pull the key out a little...

dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8735
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by dix Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:12 pm

oo3 thanks for posting made in the U.S.A. That can be helpfull. Bear you live in Mich. you allready know 1st hand what happened in your area.I do try to shy away from anything were the profits go to a nother country..

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 28, 2024 9:02 am