VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

Thrush sidepipes replacement mufflers....

daverd

Number of posts : 3
    Registration date : 2011-02-18

Thrush sidepipes replacement mufflers.... Empty Thrush sidepipes replacement mufflers....

Post by daverd Sat May 07, 2011 4:48 pm

I have a set of the thrush sidepipes( the aluminum outer covers)I need new mufflers as the originals are junk.
    any one know where I can get new ones the center sections are 48 inches long....
    thanks Dave
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Thrush sidepipes replacement mufflers.... Empty Re: Thrush sidepipes replacement mufflers....

Post by G-Man Sat May 07, 2011 7:40 pm

daverd, I move your post so maybe someone that can help sees it. Welcome to the site
    daverd

Thrush sidepipes replacement mufflers.... Empty Re: Thrush sidepipes replacement mufflers....

Post by daverd Sun May 08, 2011 7:34 am

Thanks G man
    D.
    mo_1040
    mo_1040

Number of posts : 645
    Registration date : 2008-07-04

Post by mo_1040 Sun May 08, 2011 8:42 am

I have the same problem and was thinking of just building my own mufflers to fit. Glass packs don't fit... Probably start next week on this project...I'll let you know how it goes...
    Nightmoves
    Nightmoves

Number of posts : 2214
    Registration date : 2008-11-17

Post by Nightmoves Sun May 08, 2011 10:53 am

First off,Welcome Dave.Are you talkin about an actual muffler inside the sidepipe? All the ones I have seen for sale just have a like a tailpipe runnin through them with a shortie muffler coming off from a 90% from exhaust manifold/hedder.Some where theres a pic on here with that set up.
    mo_1040
    mo_1040

Post by mo_1040 Sun May 08, 2011 11:56 am

The factory mufflers for these pipes really suck in design. If any water gets inside the aluminum case it sits there and rust out the mufflers. I still have one factory muffler that is in good shape but the other side was completely shot from rust. The idea I was going to try was to take the 2 glass packs I have and remove the outer case which is 3 1/2" and replace it with a 3" diameter case which would leave a 1/4" gap around the muffler when inserted into the aluminum side pipe. Another option would be to go with a chambered exhaust muffler...
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Turbo-Tube-2-25-Chambered-Muffler-/310303233227?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item483f8394cb

Not too sure how loud these would be though?
    daverd

Post by daverd Tue May 10, 2011 5:07 pm

I was thinking of a chambered muffler ( Too loud?)found a place that will make one
    in the length i need or i thought of using a mufflers from a dodge clallenger
    t/a and running a pipe through the thrush housings
    mo_1040
    mo_1040

Post by mo_1040 Tue May 10, 2011 5:40 pm

I know just from mocking mine up on my van there really isn't much room for a muffler except for inside the side pipe. I'll have to go out and mock them up again and look again.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:39 pm