VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+2
EconoCarl
austinmodhouse
6 posters

side/back door window gaskets, too big? shrink ray?

austinmodhouse
    austinmodhouse

Number of posts : 575
    Registration date : 2010-07-30

side/back door window gaskets, too big?  shrink ray? Empty side/back door window gaskets, too big? shrink ray?

Post by austinmodhouse Mon May 02, 2011 12:58 pm

getting ready to re-install the glass and the new window gaskets seem to have a bit of play.... ok, that is a LOT of extra. am I to believe this will all fit snug once installed in the frame? side/back door window gaskets, too big?  shrink ray? 11610
    EconoCarl
    EconoCarl

Number of posts : 1109
    Registration date : 2008-05-19

side/back door window gaskets, too big?  shrink ray? Empty Re: side/back door window gaskets, too big? shrink ray?

Post by EconoCarl Tue May 03, 2011 4:28 pm

Bumpin' this up for ya'! Surely somebody's done this before.

I'm curious too, we'll be changing ours soon.

side/back door window gaskets, too big?  shrink ray? Empty Re: side/back door window gaskets, too big? shrink ray?

Post by Guest Thu May 05, 2011 11:49 am

Mine looked just like that and they snugged right up once i got them in.
    EconoUSAparts
    EconoUSAparts

Number of posts : 2198
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by EconoUSAparts Thu May 05, 2011 6:50 pm

My original Ford ones werent loose like that at all. Thats a common complaint about Carpenter's seals. Hopefully the new ones being made by R. S. will be more consistent in size.
    austinmodhouse
    austinmodhouse

Post by austinmodhouse Fri May 06, 2011 6:10 am

side/back door window gaskets, too big?  shrink ray? Gasket10I know image is sideways, but the gasket went in w/o much hassle. door framed pushes it snug. still doesn't seem right to me, but I guess it worked for 45 years so far. took about 5 mins to get the first one in. gonna tackle the other three now.
    Casimier
    Casimier

Number of posts : 864
    Registration date : 2010-07-26

Post by Casimier Fri May 06, 2011 6:17 am

are you using the pull out rope method?
    makes life easier.
    EconoCarl
    EconoCarl

Number of posts : 1109
    Registration date : 2008-05-19

Post by EconoCarl Fri May 06, 2011 6:48 am

Hey Paul, you already got some color on the van?
    austinmodhouse
    austinmodhouse

Post by austinmodhouse Fri May 06, 2011 7:02 am

yeah, I got some white, some flat black and some orange... the orange is a bit red-ish. it's a bit thin in spots and I'm not sure I will keep all that orange, considering leaving an orange band and more flat black underneath. but for now, I'm leaving it as it is.

got the other three windows went in easily. I use a heavy duty electrical wire that has a hard vinyl case and lots of dish soap. one person pushes from outside while the other person pulls the wire.side/back door window gaskets, too big?  shrink ray? Window10

Last edited by austinmodhouse on Fri May 06, 2011 7:06 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling typos)
    austinmodhouse
    austinmodhouse

Post by austinmodhouse Fri May 06, 2011 7:31 am

we have concluded that the hugger orange was just too red/bright. will respray that with burnt orange. new color should be here mid next week.

I'm anxious to have this part done.
    MikeShums
    MikeShums

Number of posts : 116
    Registration date : 2010-10-14

Post by MikeShums Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:09 am

I used the carpenter seals on my two rear doors and they were too big but about 3/4 of an inch. I ended up with "dimples" or "puckers" on one of the corners on each window that would not smooth out even after several weeks and several sessions of trying to work the slack around. I ended up cutting a small pie shape out of each corner to remove the raised area. if I was to do it again - and had no choice for a better seal, I would probably cut a 1/2 inch out of the seal and then bond that like they did with the big side windows from the factory. But, the new seals that Tim is working on should solve all our problems.

On a separate but related note, I finally installed the cargo door seals that I got from Carpenters about 2 years ago and they seem fine.

Mike
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:35 am

nice work- did you run some liquid Rubber sealant around all the windows after install?/ 3m makes it in a pump type can- goes between the rubber & body - that way no water will get/ stay in there & rust the openings. seals very good also.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:41 pm