VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+2
Twinpilot001
Digz
6 posters

alternator or battery

alternator or battery  Empty alternator or battery

Post by Guest Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:30 am

ok, I've been away for 3 years from my van. Before I left it in storage I bought a new battery.

I've had tons of work done on it but now I'm having trouble starting it.
    It starts when it's a little warmer outside and other times it doesn't start ( makes a sound like a dead battery) All the lights are bright when it's not turning over.

I got the van to start and took my van to Baxter's auto parts and they give a free voltmeter test to see what kind of charge you are getting. The guy first said it was my battery then said well it could be my alternator.

Now I know leaving a battery sitting for 3 years isn't a good idea but it seems it works fine.
    I was wondering what you guys think. Should I replace the battery or the alternator OR both ? Smile

If I have to replace the alternator what's a good amp one for a straight 6 250 engine?
    Thanks
    -Anthony
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

alternator or battery  Empty Re: alternator or battery

Post by Digz Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:56 am

The best way to test a battery is a load test, while it can read 12 volts sitting there , when you engage the starter it can drop to zilch. I don't have a picture of one handy but they are relativly inexspensive and handy to have around. What kind of numbers did you have when they did the voltage test ? running ? Alt size depends on what you might be wanting to add to the van for electroniics. fans, stereo amps and such. Somewhere towards 100amp is a common upgrade I think, Think Im running around 80amp.
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:21 am

Replace the battery
    m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Number of posts : 1778
    Registration date : 2008-10-06

Post by m1dadio Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:35 am

First check all the wire connections for clean and tight at the starter, alternator and grounds and battery terminals.
    The battery probobly took a beating sitting for three years but it needs a proper load test.
    First charge the battery up with a full charge then test it.
    The starter might be brawing too much amps, it could be seizing up. Have a starter draw test done.
    The alternator should be putting out 14.7 volts at idle with every electrical thing turned on. But it needs a batery at min 12.5 volts to do that.

You need to give us some real numbers or this is just a wiaste of text.M1D
    jrinaman
    jrinaman

Number of posts : 890
    Registration date : 2011-03-10

Post by jrinaman Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:35 am

start it up, disconnect battery and turn on everything electrical. if it dies, alt is weak. BUT it could be loose belt, bad ground or loose wires. battery is probably junk after setting and would have it tested and/or replaced first.

alternator or battery  Empty Thank You!

Post by Guest Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:48 pm

Twinpilot001 wrote:Replace the battery

I took my old battery in and they gave me a new one for FREE Smile
    Finally, something good has come my way.
    Thanks for everyone's help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The numbers are at 100% for alternator and starter & battery but it looks like I might have a wiring problem. The van starts up nicely now (still working on it). Thanks again!!
    ChevyVanMan1

Number of posts : 425
    Registration date : 2009-07-19

Post by ChevyVanMan1 Fri May 06, 2011 11:05 am

Specific gravity is a very good test if you know you have voltage. However, shops don't seem to have the squeeze bulb testers any more. Of course the load test will tell if inter-cell connectors are fried. if you have one. I suspect the acid is too high of liability. Congrats on the free battery. Must have good Karma my friend.
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Fri May 06, 2011 11:42 am

jrinaman wrote:start it up, disconnect battery and turn on everything electrical. if it dies, alt is weak. BUT it could be loose belt, bad ground or loose wires. battery is probably junk after setting and would have it tested and/or replaced first.

Even though this is an older vehicle without electronics, this is NOT the right way to test a charging system!

Post by Guest Fri May 06, 2011 1:00 pm

Before I relocated back to Portland, Oregon from California I had a mechanic tow my van to get it up and running. Now, I am not really mechanically incline, but this mechanic had wires crossed, the battery was working at 50% and dealing with this mechanic was a nightmare. Only thing he seemed to know was to do the brakes and rear shocks & put new tires on.

Either he didn't bolt down the alternator belt or it came loose. I saw the fan wasn't on so I tightened the bolt to make the belt tight to turn the fan on. I also filled the radiator with fluid. Because he must have been lazy and didn't fill it all the way.

He returned the van to me with a broken choke cable as well. I am in the process of doing that myself ( easy fix). Over all the mechanic was lazy and was an asshole to deal with.

In the end, my neighbor ( genus ) & I ( behind the learning curve ) tested the wiring, fixed the wiring issues, set the timing, fixed the idling, fixed the bracket for reverse & first gear, clamped the leaking gas vent ( no clamps on the hoses), old hoses for the radiator had a crack in it (still need to be replaced),...

Over all, if you want something done right you really need to do it yourself and/or have someone that knows what they are doing to help you. I've come to learn that these vans are pretty easy to figure out even for me. Now a days, these mechanics out there either don't know shit or just too damn lazy to even care to do a good job.

so far my van is running but needs adjustments along the way. Yes, one day I will replace the alternator and take out the voltage regulator. If anyone knows of a good brand to get please let me know. I'm looking for maybe a GM 1 wire 100 to 140 amps. I got a straight 6 250 engine. I'm not really running tons of stuff but I would like to have an alternator to support something if I do decide to add more.

Thanks again guys. Thank god we have these forums to communicate with each other.

RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Fri May 06, 2011 1:09 pm

Just a reminder, throwing a 100 amp alt in a tired old wiring system is a good way to cause problems.
    Unless you have the need for that much power due to additions (stereo, lighting, etc.) it's a waste.
    An electric system can be thought of as a water system.
    A fancy new house may need a 6 inch main with a waterfall, landscaping sprinkler system, a big pool, 5 bathrooms, etc.
    An older house (our vans) came with a single bathroom, no sprinklers and a small yard. The piping is old, the faucet washers are hard and brittle, and the needs are small, like the 2 inch main feeding it.
    Upgrading to the 6 inch main is not going to make the older house work any better, and if a leak happens, it's only going to make things worse.
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Fri May 06, 2011 4:05 pm

Get a rebuilt 60-70 amp Gm alternator. All you will ever need- with intergal regulator

Post by Guest Fri May 06, 2011 4:47 pm

Oh, I put a new wire harness in too.

http://www.ezwiring.com/wiring_harness.html
    m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Number of posts : 1778
    Registration date : 2008-10-06

Post by m1dadio Fri May 06, 2011 5:58 pm

You are clearly more mechanicaly inclined then you are willing to admit too.

Good Job!

M1D

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:19 pm