VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

2 posters

low profile air cleaner

low profile air cleaner Empty low profile air cleaner

Post by Guest Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:32 pm

well my restoration is going great,i've redone the muffler line, the electronic ignition is on the way, i rerouted the emission hoses, the doghouse has been painted and insulated, i added some new grounds to the wiring, the engine started very easily now lets close the lid...mother fx@*%.... affraid silent the air breather is too hight!!! cant close the lid,...i've been looking at summit , Jc Whitney, but cant find very low profile air breather, is there any other places you guys know that would carry such a model, the carb opening is 2.625(2'5/8'') and the maximun diametre 10 '' or if anybody would know a way, or another model..the straitenings bars and the .5 paddind sure doesent help ....thanks..

.i would 've saved lots of time by using ear muff instead of insulating the engine geek
    slowflapper
    slowflapper

Number of posts : 956
    Registration date : 2010-07-29

low profile air cleaner Empty Re: low profile air cleaner

Post by slowflapper Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:03 pm

2BL carb?

Im using an air cleaner off an 83 dodge ram charger, it take a big filter but the whole thing sites down over the carb so its low profile.

low profile air cleaner IMG00335-20091108-1407

Post by Guest Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:43 pm

my problem showflappere is that i have a slant six, so the air breather is not in the middle but at left if your 're sitting, i see that yours is very wide, the one that came with the engine is too wide at left for the dodghouse, i'll try to post some picts for tomorrow....

Post by Guest Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:42 am

i hope it will work, its been a wild......low profile air cleaner Super_22

Post by Guest Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:53 am

[img]http://i2[url=https://servimg.com/view/14121836/21]low profile air cleaner Super_242.servimg.low profile air cleaner Super_25com/u/f22/14/12/18/36/super_23.jpg[/img][/url]
    i dont know what went wrong, i post alot more picts of the engine,i'll try again..by the way thats the van in progress,

Post by Guest Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:57 am

[img]http://i22.[url=https://servimg.com/view/14121836/24]low profile air cleaner Super_27servimg.com/u/f22/14/12/18/36/super_26.jpg[/img][/url]

Post by Guest Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:59 am

low profile air cleaner Super_28
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:41 am

I think you will find the air cleaner is big enough.
    If you do want a larger filter, you could do something like the ricers and modern EFI guys do, have a tube come off the top of the carb and mount the filter in a remote location.

http://northamericantuning.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/1265

Post by Guest Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:52 pm

is it the 'E' or the 'G' vans that have thoses reverse air breather, i wonder if it would fit? maybe with an adapter... scratch

Post by Guest Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:56 pm

hey roadstrace, do you thing any air breather is ok or there's some restriction to it?
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Post by RodStRace Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:19 pm

My thoughts are that the engine is an air pump.
    While it's not good to have the air filter be the restriction, you can do the following to figure out what is REALLY needed for an air filter for your vehicle.
    Figure out how much air it really pumps. How much displacement at an RPM devided by a percentage of loss is simple math. Don't forget that a 350 Cu. In. motor pumps that much on 2 revolutions, not one.
    Now, figure out how often you are at that RPM and at full throttle. If you are not at full throttle, that's going to be the main restriction unless it's a really bad air filter.
    If you are like most, you rarely see full throttle for more than a few seconds, and at less than 5000 RPM. Really, how often are you WOT and screaming?
    Now you have an idea of what the real requirements are for the engine.
    The claims of 5-15 HP like the one I posted are on dynos at high speed and WOT, I bet. If you need another 5 HP driving around, you just push on the pedal (open the throttle) a bit more. The throttle blades are the restriction, not the filter.

Post by Guest Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:43 pm

i will remember that (i copyed it)..so now i'll look for an air breather ...thanks alot roadstrace.....
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Post by RodStRace Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:05 pm

Well, I will say that I do drive the ol 108 /6 at close to WOT when driving on the highway here when it's up hill!
    Poor thing just doesn't have much more.
    I have not tried it back-to-back to see if the air filter removal would pick up a few.....

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 6:08 am