VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+2
Twinpilot001
Magic Bus
6 posters

Driveshaft Disconnect - Help

Driveshaft Disconnect - Help Empty Driveshaft Disconnect - Help

Post by Guest Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:36 am

I am heading to pick up my first 61 Econo pickup this weekend. I will be towing the truck home for its maiden voyage unfortunately. My towing situation has left me to use a tow dolly to pull the truck home. I will have to disconnect the driveshaft to accomplish this safely I believe. The truck is complete and will go down the road just fine I am told.

Can someone confirm how to disconnect the driveshaft on these trucks? More improtantly what tools are needed? I just dont want to get there and be unprepared for something weird. Will have my torch and penetrating lube just in case!

Thanks for the help in advance...
    Magic Bus
    Magic Bus

Number of posts : 1422
    Registration date : 2009-12-02

Driveshaft Disconnect - Help Empty Re: Driveshaft Disconnect - Help

Post by Magic Bus Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:24 am

Mine is a 67 with a 9" rear end and you just need a 7/16" or 1/2" box/open wrench to take the nuts off the u shaped keepers that hold the u joints in...shouldn't be a big big deal...good luck.

Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:14 am

Curious =?? when towing these econo = with a 3spd tranny - do we really need to disconnect the driveshaft?? OR just put her in neutral?

Post by Guest Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:55 am

You know I questioned the same thing. I figured better safe than sorry. If someone can confirm and has actually towed one without using a trailer I would be curious.

I also had the thought to ride in the cab the whole way home with my friend pulling and pretend I was doing a wheel stand. Can you tell I am excited to get this thing home??!!
    EconoUSAparts
    EconoUSAparts

Number of posts : 2198
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by EconoUSAparts Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:10 am

Disconnect only the rear u-joint and strap the driveshaft up in place. Put tape around the caps so you dont lose them. Thats what I do ever since one popped out of neutral during towing and into first gear.
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Post by Twinpilot001 Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:22 am

Hows far's ur tow?? Im lookin @ a early eceon too & doing the same way as ur. Im lookin @ 350 miles.

Post by Guest Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:32 am

The distance for my tow is about 250 miles twinpilot.

Thanks for the note Econo...I figured better safe than sorry if we are only talking about a few bolts.

I love this site already...thanks guys!
    EconoCarl
    EconoCarl

Number of posts : 1109
    Registration date : 2008-05-19

Post by EconoCarl Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:55 pm

Here's a way to keep the tranny from jumping into gear while flat-towing. From inside the cab, look near the floor at the aluminum bracket that the shift rod goes through. There is a small hole that you can stick a small phillips screwdriver through. If it's in neutral it will pass through both shift levers under the floor and lock things in neutral. This is the same hole you use when adjusting the shift linkage on the transmission. Hope this helps.
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Post by Twinpilot001 Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:19 pm

Thanx a bunch-id forgotten about that - what ill do then.
    econopoor
    econopoor
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1747
    Registration date : 2010-04-18

Post by econopoor Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:34 pm

I've flat towed my 61 both ways. With the drive shaft in and with it removed. It was about 250 miles with it in place and 1000 round trip with it out. As Carl said just insert a 1/4" phillips screwdriver in the hole at the base of the shift tube to keep one in neutral. I've been told that leaving the shaft in could cause damage to the needle bearings in the trans. The trans gets it's lube from the jack shaft spinning in a pool of gear lube. When towing, just the output shaft is spinning and it's above the fluid level. The jackshaft sit still. This could cause the bearing between the input and output shafts to overheat and burn up. I've done it both ways and never had a problem but it's better to be safe than sorry. Now, if I flat tow I take my car ramps and creeper along. I place the ramps in front of the rear tires and I pull the truck up on the ramps with the tow vehicle and slide under to replace the driveshaft. Then, unhook from the tow vehicle and drive it off the ramps. Easy enough. I also run some trailer wiring through the truck and hook it up to the Econo's taillights for towing lights.

Duane in Tennessee.

Post by Guest Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:22 pm

Thanks for all the input guys. I appreciate it.

Wish us luck....
    EconoUSAparts
    EconoUSAparts

Number of posts : 2198
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by EconoUSAparts Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:44 pm

I ve also heard what Duane has heard so I error on the side of caution. Another point is that a lot of what I tow are junkers or vehicles I dont know the history of. That said,aligning the shift levers at the column base with a screw driver doesnt guarantee you are perfectly in neutral either. Thats only the case if everything is adjusted properly. How many times have you seen trannys that dont shift correct due to improper adjustment. My point being,if you drop the driveshaft,you're pretty much certain no additional harm can be done,plus its simple to just disconnect the rear and leave the rest in place. Just remember to tape the end caps or they will fall off.
    Barnabas
    Barnabas
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager

Number of posts : 2011
    Registration date : 2011-01-16

Post by Barnabas Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:12 pm

With a manual trans, I tow all the time without disconnecting the driveshaft. With an automatic trans, I disconnect.

Post by Guest Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:46 am

Home safe and sound guys. Dropped the shaft and it only took about 5 mins...Although I did lose one of the U bolts that secure it in place on the rear diff. Anyone have an extra one laying around by chance? EconoUSA I am looking to you on this one!!

She towed perfectly with the shaft out and made the 250 mile trip at 70mph, no problems.

I cant even begin to explain about how ready I am to get started on this thing!
    EconoCarl
    EconoCarl

Number of posts : 1109
    Registration date : 2008-05-19

Post by EconoCarl Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:50 am

Glad you got it home safe and sound.
    Remember to keep a camera handy while you're fixin' her up!
    econopoor
    econopoor
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1747
    Registration date : 2010-04-18

Post by econopoor Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:28 pm

I'm glad everything went well on your trip. I'm looking forward to seeing some pics of your pickup.

Duane in Tennessee.

Post by Guest Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:11 pm

Her first pic on the way home. Nothing crazy happening to this one. Just need to get it in driving order. Wish I could hear the history of this truck, so many cool things about it.
    Driveshaft Disconnect - Help FOD

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 7:08 pm