VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+7
whopman
dix
Digz
jrinaman
Twinpilot001
66 G10
knuckles66
11 posters

"Push Bumper"? What do you think?

knuckles66
    knuckles66

Number of posts : 13
    Registration date : 2010-03-25

"Push Bumper"? What do you think? Empty "Push Bumper"? What do you think?

Post by knuckles66 Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:09 am

I'm a new member with a '66 in the very early stages of restoration, but I thought I would throw this out there. I picked my van up from an old auto shop where it was used as a jump/push vehicle. Basically, it was driven around the neighborhood and used to jump cars and push them to another location when necessary. It has this massive homemade push bumper on the front which at first I thought had to go, however now I'm having second thoughts. I am considering cleaning up the edges, painting it of course, and possibly keeping it on there. Bumpers are a little pricey and besides it sort of gives it a Bonneville kind of touch. Here are a couple pics, what do you think?

"Push Bumper"? What do you think? Photo-12

"Push Bumper"? What do you think? Photo-14
    66 G10
    66 G10

Number of posts : 39
    Registration date : 2010-11-25

"Push Bumper"? What do you think? Empty Re: "Push Bumper"? What do you think?

Post by 66 G10 Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:45 am

looks like it might create a cooling problem to me.
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

"Push Bumper"? What do you think? Empty bumper =NO!

Post by Twinpilot001 Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:17 am

GET RID of the UGLY Thing!! Makes a great van -look bad!! Sell it for scrap & put the bucks in the Van
    also - look thru the members fotos in archives & see the ones with no bumpers & ones with different types.
    jrinaman
    jrinaman

Number of posts : 890
    Registration date : 2011-03-10

Post by jrinaman Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:02 pm

i was looking for something different for bumpers too, that aint it!!!
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:56 pm

It ain't pretty, but if ya could take a plasma cutter and put enough holes in it maybe even fancy? I had a wide bumper once on one ,, the mounting ears on the end of the frame are easily destroyed by the flexing something like that causes. Especially if ya play tag with it ! Rolling Eyes
    knuckles66
    knuckles66

Post by knuckles66 Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:39 pm

So what I'm gathering here is that you fellas won't be overflowing my inbox trying to buy this beauty the day it comes off, haha. Thanks for the input.
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8731
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by dix Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:07 pm

THE VAN HAS A LOT GOING FOR IT ,, THE BUMPER AIN'T IT.!!!!!!!!!
    whopman
    whopman

Number of posts : 387
    Registration date : 2010-04-01

Post by whopman Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:14 pm

looks like a teenage girl covering her mouth after she just got braces ! It's gotta go we wanna see your van smile !
    kgdb
    kgdb

Number of posts : 266
    Registration date : 2009-12-03

Post by kgdb Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:54 pm

The bumper has to go, sorry.
    panelmanrd
    panelmanrd

Number of posts : 801
    Registration date : 2009-10-04

Post by panelmanrd Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:09 pm

sorry guy that`s just fugly.
    texasjohn
    texasjohn

Number of posts : 672
    Registration date : 2008-06-01

Post by texasjohn Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:05 pm

i'd keep it and build a land speed vehicle and use it to push it down the salt with......problem solved. Need a driver?
    knuckles66
    knuckles66

Post by knuckles66 Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:26 am

Now you're talkin texasjohn! Point taken though. These were all my original thoughts as well but I had a maybe moment. I'll have you all know I begin removal today, but time got away from me so it will have wait until tomorrow. Good thing it's swap meet season because now the hunt begins for a front bumper.
    jrinaman
    jrinaman

Number of posts : 890
    Registration date : 2011-03-10

Post by jrinaman Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:51 pm

correct bumpers are 350.00 ea. plus shipping for rechromed. i posted couple weeks back 'bumpers and seats' another member posted pic with a camaro bumper and confirmed size. my 2 days at junkyards netted me 1 ugly bumper and 1 '62 nova bumper that looks o.k. if nothing else, a much smaller peice of channel would be better than what you have and 1/10th the weight."Push Bumper"? What do you think? Penndo13
    Van Halen
    Van Halen

Number of posts : 1785
    Registration date : 2010-04-30

Post by Van Halen Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:50 am

It puts the red in redneck!!!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 12:48 pm