VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+4
SteelyVan
m1dadio
jrinaman
G-Force
8 posters

Wiring help?

G-Force
    G-Force

Number of posts : 56
    Registration date : 2010-04-02

Wiring help? Empty Wiring help?

Post by G-Force Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:21 pm

Okay guys, gonna do the whole new wiring set-up. Looks like an EZ-wiring kit from eBay is going to do it. Questions..

1) Should I go with 12 or 21 circuit? Looking to run a few accessories, but not too terribly much.

2) What else will I need? Will I need any relays? Or are they all inclusive?

3) Can I remove all existing wires? Will I need anything that is already there? Or will it all go?

Do you guys know the differences between the kits? What's the diff between the $130 kit and the $155 kit?

Thanks in advance!-John
    jrinaman
    jrinaman

Number of posts : 890
    Registration date : 2011-03-10

Wiring help? Empty Re: Wiring help?

Post by jrinaman Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:58 pm

if it will fit, get the 21 circuit. never know what might get added later. more lights, power windows, extra power jacks or who knows what. can also split up circuits so when a fuse blows, only one item goes dead. if you have a little knowledge in this area, parts can be had MUCH cheaper. delcity has anything you could want, including circuit breakers that light when tripped (no fuses)
    m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Number of posts : 1778
    Registration date : 2008-10-06

Post by m1dadio Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:06 am

The only thing I know about diferences in kits is the quality.
    Some have crimped wire connectors and some are made with soldered terminals onto the wires. Also some have cheep ass fuse blocks with gold colored fuse plugs and some have brass fuse holders. The wire diameter, number of strands in the wire and the kind of insulation on the wires also is vastly different. (The wire is the most expensive part for the builder) . The cheeper wire sets are typicaly the made in china stuff. There are USA hand made wire kits of very high standars but pricy.

http://www.ronfrancis.com/

http://www.americanautowire.com/

Usualy the you get what you pay for. You pay cheep and get cheep which will bite you in the ass a year or so down the road when condensation and humididty starts attacking everything.
    The more expesive wireing kits usuall\y come with all relays, solinoids , fuses, extra terminals, extra wire and the special tools needed for instalation.
    By the time you buy all else you need to complete the cheeper harness you will probobly spend about the same or more anyway.

I recomend you make a rought drawing of what circuits you plan to have before you buy. that way you will buy what you need. Don't just geuss at it.

I don't have any personal expirience with Pain less but others who have installed them now refer to them as painfull. They are not soldered connections.

All that being said, the auto manufacturures crimp some conections and solder others. But it the quality of the cripming terminal and the wire its crimped to and the method/tool used to make the crimp that makes all the difference in the world on servicability.

It is recomended that you change all wiring in your van< the one you leave is the one you will be fixing sooner then later.

m1D
    SteelyVan
    SteelyVan

Number of posts : 112
    Registration date : 2009-08-14

Post by SteelyVan Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:00 am

Amen M1. I installed a Ron Francis GM Express and it is fantastic. Easy to install, overbuilt wire gauge, relays, extra circuits, made in USA. If your budget allows, it will be the last time chasing shorts and grounds!.......an inevitable reality from 40+ year old wiring.
    Big W
    Big W

Number of posts : 3282
    Registration date : 2011-01-13

Post by Big W Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:16 pm

If you don't mind me asking...I was thinking of buying a wiring kit and although it would be a Ford kit, it should have a lot of the same accessories, just wondering on the price for such a harness from Ron Francis.
    m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Number of posts : 1778
    Registration date : 2008-10-06

Post by m1dadio Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:56 pm

Big W, just go to the link and look what he has, many options at many prices

http://www.ronfrancis.com/
    kustomizer

Number of posts : 47
    Registration date : 2008-06-06

Post by kustomizer Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:57 am

I think the difference is the cheaper one is smaller and only houses the fuses and the relays are wired in seperate and the more expensive one has the relays in the fuse housing. I've used 3 of the EZ kits and really like them.

Wiring help? Empty in need of EZ wiring Harness advice...

Post by Guest Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:43 pm

I have a 1968 GMC Handivan 108" WB and have purchased a 21 Circuit EZ wiring harness for it. I have been reading every post I can find on wiring harness installation and details, etc. I have an idea how to do this but it is a little overwhelming to start just yet. I am seeking advice from any of you that may have undertaken this project and have some inside knowledge beyond what the instruction book tells us. Do I basically take out everything and start fresh? I am also going to be using a HEI distributor and 100 amp one wire alternator and am running a 307 V8. Any and all advice is very much appreciated.
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:11 pm

yes to removal. yes its a little overwelming - just lat out the new one & mount it before strippimg teh old out - so u have a sort of idea where & how its run. were all here to help.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:40 pm

You kind of do it in 3 steps,,,,,you mount the fuse box where you want it,,,,,,,then you are going in 3 different directions,,,,,,up inside the left windshield pillar with the turn signal, tail, dome, back up light and fuel sender wires,,,, dash and switches and front lights and down through the floor to the oil and temp senders, distributor, starter solenoid and battery,,,,,,you don't want that wiring loom next to the gas pedal,,,drill a hole, run it under the floor to the dog house,,,,kind of separate all the wires,,,,cut the old one at the fuse box or switch, tape the new one to it and pull the new one into place with the old one....but do one wire at a time until you run out of old wires to cut,,,,you can do the doghouse 1st, then the rear and then fight the dash wires,,,,,

Post by Guest Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:15 am

Thank you guys, this should get me pointed in the right direction...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:20 pm