VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+9
slowflapper
southern man
Donn
Digz
Big W
Rick's 66 Chevy Van
G-Man
EconoUSAparts
Magic Bus
13 posters

No Hobby For Young Men....long thread

Magic Bus
    Magic Bus

Number of posts : 1422
    Registration date : 2009-12-02

No Hobby For Young Men....long thread Empty No Hobby For Young Men....long thread

Post by Magic Bus Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:23 am

I've procrastinated about posting this but thought it was a worthy topic... I read an article in the winter edition of Hagerty Magazine titled "No Hobby for Young Men"

To summarize what it said.. "todays youth are not interested in cars"

A whopping 69% of 16 year olds and 51% of 17 years olds did not have their drivers license in 2008.

"The car used to be a symbol of freedom. People loved the way cars looked and understood how they worked. But modern cars are so complex that the average person needs help just to change the oil. Plus the message nowadays is that the automobile is slowly killing the planet and that driving for pleasure is a waste of time..."

Other factors such as eroding parts availabilty.. alternative fuels.. emissions concerns, aging demographic.. and that kids now socialize on facebook or the internet instead of taking a drive all contribute to the lower interest in classic automobiles..

I found this article to be very eye opening...and first thing came to mine was Vintage-Vans.com.. Of course fiddling with my 61 econo truck and my 67 econo shorty van consumes alot of my time and I spend a fair amount of time reading this website...and greatly appreciate ALL of you that have so much to offer...

I want to tip my hat to those of you that are veterans of the Van world.. many come to mind and I don't want to leave any out but Im sure I will and I apoligize for that oversight..

Vic (Old Skool).. I don't know you but Man am I impressed by your mechanical skills and knowledge.. I don't know if there is anybody else Ive read of that has the history and knowledge of the econos.. And your ability to improve on their shortcomings, modify them and share your knowledge with the rest of us is priceless!!!!!!! Steering Column expert, shift cables, disc brake conversions, crossmembers, salvage parts etc....!!!
    Thank You Vic

Fred Carello FMC.. Could there be anybody esle that has this kind of knowledge and history with the econos? If their is it might be Vic..but the stuff you have posted is abslolutely incredible...econo options..models, seats, interiors..wipers, Upholstery Expert!..I hope someday soon to buy some of your interior stuff for my van
    Thank You Fred

Dennis Farris Ugly Truck.. Dennis' history with the econo goes way back to when He was a kid driving an econo delivering parts... Since then Dennis has bought, sold, improved and modified countless econos.. This is the guy who gives us a disc brake conversion, dash plates, econo emblems, roll pans, and other custom and salvage parts...Thank You Dennis

Tim EconoUSA.. You da man for all parts econo...somebody has to cut all that stuff up and make a buck or two...I know I for one certainly appreciate the parts and the advice..

Mike Cook..VanishingBreed...Wow Your history and collection of econos is second to none.. Your presence and input on this forum is beyond compare...

I can't name every member on this forum but you all contribute to what comes together as one big happy family..what a great place this is for old Van lovers...Thanks to all of you!!!!!!!

Moderators, DantheVanMan, Vanish, Chebby, Donivan, Gman..You guys make this site what it is..Thank all of You!

Im just thankful for all of you and like minded automobile lovers that will keep them out of the salvage yard by doing what they can...spending money on them..washing them..driving them...busting kuckles..helping someone else find one.. anything we can to keep these Vans and other collectibles on the road

I think after reading the original article in Hagertys Magazine we all should encourage whatever youth we can to further the hobby of antique auto interest, restoration and collection..
    EconoUSAparts
    EconoUSAparts

Number of posts : 2198
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

No Hobby For Young Men....long thread Empty Re: No Hobby For Young Men....long thread

Post by EconoUSAparts Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:47 am

Wow,very nicely put. Its nice to be noticed and mentioned amongst all the other great site members here. The collective expertise we have here is what makes this such a great site. All 3 makes of these fugly vehicle owners come together here as one to help each other with their mechanical and parts issues and share expertise,resources,parts,and more to keep our rigs on the road. Hats off to a great group of folks we have here.
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

No Hobby For Young Men....long thread Empty Re: No Hobby For Young Men....long thread

Post by G-Man Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:40 pm

I read this thread and it's very close to home. My own son fits that bill, he would be more lost without his phone than a car.

I have been here a while and even I learn new stuff and amazed at what some of you do or the creative ideas you guy's come up with. I also I'm proud to be part of this great group vanner's
    Rick's 66 Chevy Van
    Rick's 66 Chevy Van

Number of posts : 331
    Registration date : 2011-03-06

Post by Rick's 66 Chevy Van Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:18 pm

Fully AGREE!!!!!!
    Big W
    Big W

Number of posts : 3282
    Registration date : 2011-01-13

Post by Big W Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:26 pm

My kids love there cell phones and yet at the same time they can't waite to get there drivers. They are always asking if they can drive (learners permit only). I give them every opertunity and even ask them drive even when the weather is crapy out. I guess I am one of the lucky ones who have kids that want a car. Unfortunitly they all want my econoline...NOT GOING TO HAPPEN!!!. But if they help turn a wrench on it I will most definitly let them drive it ...to the end of the driveway...lol. Yup this is the place to be, with great people who share there knowledge and like to be free to drive around and enjoy the open road.

Post by Guest Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:21 pm

older vehicles are slowly fading away, and with them goes interest and even ability to learn what makes an engine work. same basic concepts, but computers seem to wreck all the fun.

PAYING $260: Junk full-sized trucks, vans. Highest payout. Compacts $60. Facebook, junkers klunkers. 885-4637.

guys that post these ads in your local traders are my sworn enemy. more vintage iron goes to the scrap yard, and less is left for us to find.

Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:04 pm

I ship all my read Rodz and Hotrod mags home with my son-in-law, to give the grandsons something to browse through, sometimes even throw in a jegs or Summit catalog. They are at the age where HotWheels are a big thing, just hoping some of it rubs off ! Also they have helped in the construction of the van, letting them get thier hands dirty young has got to help.
    Donn
    Donn

Number of posts : 692
    Registration date : 2009-04-05

Post by Donn Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:12 pm

We as teen's had to "figure out" where we were going and how to get back. Our car's HAD to be able to get there, or you walked to a pay phone..Do they still have them? When a "good" new car came to the block it had the sound of a V8, smell of leather, big fins, chrome, they were big well made AMERICAN cars that would last many years, like in some case's over 45!! They were simple, you could learn how they worked... You took pride in your Dad's car and then in yours..In high school you were the guy that drive's that_____..
    NOW
    Gps, cell phone's, cheap import cars, Dwi, cameras at traffic light's,
    50 inch tv's, ps2, 50 year old paper boys, instant everything,
    Thank God I'm old..
    southern man
    southern man

Number of posts : 486
    Registration date : 2008-05-21

Post by southern man Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:05 am

My son is 27 but has been a nut about all things automotive since he could first form some words (and even then knew every brand of car on the road). We've been going to car shows and classic car auctions since he was just a little kid and he knows the difference between all of the models, especially 50' 60 and early 70's models. He likes his Bimmers and Jap iron, but still loves the old muscle cars, etc. I'm very lucky because it has always been something we could communicate about, even during the teen years when other things might not have been so easy.
    slowflapper
    slowflapper

Number of posts : 956
    Registration date : 2010-07-29

Post by slowflapper Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:34 am

It's definitely a sad trend. I'm trying to teach my son differently, he has "mechanical aptitude" even for a seven year old. We got to lots of old car shows, he has his own basic tool box and tools and helps me wrench on the van and other toys.

His "first dirt bike" is a 1974 TY 80 Trials bike that's already waiting in my basement for him to grow tall enough to ride it. To me, it's required that a young man be able to hunt, fish, cook the aforementioned varmits, wrench on things that are broken and be respectful of his mother, anything else is failure.

I was at a car show recently and they had a "best five 2000 model year and up" category for the ricers, one girl got a trophy driving a Hyundai Tiburon...

All of the old muscle was owned by old guys like me.

Post by Guest Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:19 pm

Well my oldest is 17 and still isn't driving a car yet but he has been riding a motorcycle for two years so i guess that is a good thing. he is ready to give up the yamaha and get a Harley then he wants to get a cheap car to have. while my 11 yearold girl already knows what car she wants when she can drive even though it is not and oldie she wants a 09 Dodge charger and she wants it to be pink. she has said this for two years now. my youngest is my little gear head motorcycles and hot rods are his thing. he gets out and helps me work on our old van and i have told all four of my kids that who ever helps me the most working on the van or bikes will one day get them. my 10 year old is all over it! but is all honesty they all love cruising in dads old van. they are always asking if we can take it everywhere we go. which always makes me feel good that they are into it. even my daughter enjoys going to the car shows with dear ol dad. We have to teach them the old ways to keep it going.
    wildbillinva

Number of posts : 134
    Registration date : 2011-02-26

Post by wildbillinva Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:20 am

last year i took auto body I at the local vo-tec. i was the oldest guy there, including the teacher, who was at least 20 years yonger than me. the rest were 20 somethings with their nose stuck in their phone every minute they could. one guy was complaining that his gfriend would get pissed at him if he didn't respond to her text within 5 minutes, and she texted him all the time. i just looked at the teacher and said "i sure as hell glad i'm old" i couldn't stand having someone texting me every hour of the day. what the hell do they talk about?
    wildbillinva
    Vanish
    Vanish
    Admin

Number of posts : 5155
    Registration date : 2008-05-02

Post by Vanish Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:15 am

wildbillinva wrote:last year i took auto body I at the local vo-tec. i was the oldest guy there, including the teacher, who was at least 20 years yonger than me. the rest were 20 somethings with their nose stuck in their phone every minute they could. one guy was complaining that his gfriend would get pissed at him if he didn't respond to her text within 5 minutes, and she texted him all the time. i just looked at the teacher and said "i sure as hell glad i'm old" i couldn't stand having someone texting me every hour of the day. what the hell do they talk about?
    wildbillinva

Most of those Kids can type faster than I can Talk !!!!!!!!!

chester42
    chester42

Number of posts : 1383
    Registration date : 2009-04-06

Post by chester42 Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:37 am

You boys are real luckey to have had boys to share the car craze with ! I was blessed with three girls , only one showes any intrest in cars and that is only to borrow mine. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't trade them for anything, but a son close to pop would be wonderful to enjoy in the senoir years. My girls are just thriled to ride with me in the 55 pick-up or van, but only one would help work and get dirty working on them.No Hobby For Young Men....long thread Three_10
    Rick's 66 Chevy Van
    Rick's 66 Chevy Van

Number of posts : 331
    Registration date : 2011-03-06

Post by Rick's 66 Chevy Van Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:03 am

Love your chevy van!!!!

Post by Guest Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:41 pm

i used to worry about this badly...until i realized that there will always be someone hotrodding something. its not the cars, its the human spirit. If i was reduced to an electric bike i would have ape hangers on it. If all they gave me was roller skates, i'd lower them. If all i wind up with is walking man... i'll strut. Thats what will never change.
    Big W
    Big W

Number of posts : 3282
    Registration date : 2011-01-13

Post by Big W Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:19 pm

I here that...No Hobby For Young Men....long thread Hot_ro10...and raise you one wheel chair.

Post by Guest Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:20 pm

HELL YEAH!!
    67a 100 pickup
    67a 100 pickup

Number of posts : 1319
    Registration date : 2009-01-29

Post by 67a 100 pickup Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:04 pm

Things are tough with teens now a days, my 14 year old complains to "mom" that I am not working on "his" car, but when I try to get him off the x-box it seems to be to "cold" in the garage. I'll be glad to get his done and out of my way so I can have more room to work on mine. Oh yeah, I'm the "bad" guy for not letting him go to drivers ed because he can't keep a C average. Evil or Very Mad

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 5:18 am