VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

O/T my grandson

O/T my grandson Empty O/T my grandson

Post by Guest Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:47 pm

My seven year old grandson will be testing for his orange and purple belt next week. He is really doing well with his martial arts. Been participating in full combat sparring for a month now and no one under a blue belt can handle him. He weighs in at 78 pounds , 4' tall with 17" thighs and 10" Bi-ceps. Bench presses 50 pounds 8 times. He has three loves, martial arts, school and working on Econolines.
    toad
    toad

Number of posts : 355
    Registration date : 2010-05-30

O/T my grandson Empty Re: O/T my grandson

Post by toad Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:09 pm

Hopefully my boy will like them too. Just about three now. toad

Post by Guest Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:14 pm

Start him when he is four. I taught Kempo, Akido, and Tae Qwon Do for years. The younger students were the most fun to teach. Kempo is the best if you can find a Kempo dojo in your area.
    toad
    toad

Post by toad Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:55 am

I like the idea of the discipline. Right now for his age he has a great attention span and is learning at about a 3 1/2 year old level. Doesn't get his smarts from me! I gotta look into it further and see how much I need to start putting back for him. toad

Post by Guest Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:08 am

Most schools have a $19.95 introductory offer to see if the child really likes it. Then you can sign a one or two year agreement for somewhere between $89.00 and $99.00 a month for three to four lessons a week.. The gi is generally free. Testing varies but is generally around $50.00 for the lower belts. Black belt testing is generally upwards of $650.00 . Sparring gear is around $160.00. These prices are for accredited Martial Arts Dojos. The YMCA generally has cheaper programs.
    toad
    toad

Post by toad Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:37 pm

Fair amount of coin, but gotta do it for the kids. How do you know if a Dojo is good?
    wylee
    wylee

Number of posts : 917
    Registration date : 2009-04-03

Post by wylee Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:19 am

the arts are a good thing for any one at any age.................................

Post by Guest Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:24 pm

Most dojos won't teach anyone under 4 yrs old. Look for a well established Dojo. Sit and watch a class and ask other parents there if they are happy with the way their kids are treated and the level of exercise and instruction. I would go to at least three Dojos before making a decision.
    toad
    toad

Post by toad Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:59 am

I'll start looking when he turns three in June. That should give me a year to find a good one.

Post by Guest Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:06 pm

Well he past the test with flying colors and got his purple striped orange belt. Purple belt is next in probably two months. He is now helping white belts and yellow belts with their technique.
    toad
    toad

Post by toad Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:32 pm

Time for ice cream.

Post by Guest Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:50 am

We always go to Dairy Queen for ice cream after his award ceremonies.
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Number of posts : 2067
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by sasktrini Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:17 am

Nice!

Post by Guest Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:30 pm

That is great to hear my step son is a Jr. black belt in Tae kwon do and does it very well. We put him into it because we were having issues with his attitude at school and with his mom. then i put my 17 year old in and he is now a Brown belt. He is 5' 7" and 210 LBS but he throws his kicks better then most of the black belts do.

Post by Guest Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:09 pm

therockdog wrote:
    That is great to hear my step son is a Jr. black belt in Tae kwon do and does it very well. We put him into it because we were having issues with his attitude at school and with his mom. then i put my 17 year old in and he is now a Brown belt. He is 5' 7" and 210 LBS but he throws his kicks better then most of the black belts do.
    That is great. Martial arts is a great way to learn discipline and respect. Will either one of your sons be participating in the Nationals this year? I am a black belt in Akido, and Tae Qwon Do a third degree black belt in Kenpo and took judo for years from my uncle. I am also a weapons expert and was state champion in wrestling in high school. Also state arm wrestling champion back in the seventies. Can't practice anymore due to severe injuries to my knees, shoulders, back and neck.

Post by Guest Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:53 pm

my kids go to Ahnn's Tae kwon do which have placed gold in the Jr Olympics. they are already asking my 11 year to join thier demo team.this is my 17 year old after getting his brown belt. [img]O/T my grandson Img01510[/img]
    the long hair boy in the air is my 11 year son i tell ya he is a bad ass in TKD i am very proud os him!
    [img]O/T my grandson Img00010[/img]
    i don't know if we will make the nationals just yet.

Post by Guest Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:07 pm

It is really cool that you have three kids in Tae Qwon Do. My grandsons instructor is an international referee and Korean Olympics team instructor. Grand Master Cheung. My grandson is barely 7 and should be a black belt by the time he is 10. Martial arts has really improved his attitude and has helped him immensely in school. His instructor is also a devout Christian and has his pastor at all ceremonies to lead in prayer. They go to Indian reservations in Arizona,( Apache and Navajo) to teach them Tae Qwon Do and about God twice a year. I will be going with them to help teach this year. Grand Master Cheung has taken a special interest in my grandson and wants him to be a Jr instructor by next year helping with the white, yellow and orange belt classes. He should be a brown belt by then.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 1:04 pm