VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

New guy question about measurements/dimensions

New guy question about measurements/dimensions Empty New guy question about measurements/dimensions

Post by Guest Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:31 pm

Hi, folks, I just registered as a member about two minutes ago. Looks like this site will take up far too much of my free time from now on !! Anyway, I don't own a vintage van but I have a plan for one in my future, so I figured no better place than here to start with the questions. I am seriously considering starting a small business for myself if the bank says ÿes"in the spring. If so, I would need a van to service my customers. I thought an early-mid '60's van would be an ideal way to advertise and attract attention. Anyway, I was wondering if any of you guys were tradesmen who use your old vans for a living. If so, how's it working out ? Ideally I would like a first generation Econoline or A100. So, can anyone help a new fellow member out ? Here's what I need: I am looking to find out the floor-to-roof measurement for the back doors of an Econoline or A100. Chevy, too. I'm not too concerned about the striker plate but rather the maximum height I would have to load in my gear. Oh, and by the way, my gear doesn't bend. Anyone have a measuring tape in their hip pocket ? By the way, I'd love to hear from anyone from Ontario (Canada, not California). Thanx, guys.
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

New guy question about measurements/dimensions Empty Re: New guy question about measurements/dimensions

Post by G-Man Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:20 pm

What kind of business??? And what kind of equipment??? Alot of early vans were pretty lite duty trucks so what you are thinking of putting in there makes alot of differants. I know there are 3/4 tons models in the Chevy line (I own one), and I'm sure Dodge & Ford followed suit in that area also. A early might not be the best choice for where you live. The winters really eat them up. Thats why they are harder to find out east and north.

Also Welcome to the site!!!
    itruns
    itruns

Number of posts : 1605
    Registration date : 2008-07-03

New guy question about measurements/dimensions Empty Re: New guy question about measurements/dimensions

Post by itruns Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:16 pm

Yeah, I was thinking along the same lines as far as advertising, but I ended up with something I like way too much to use even for small jobs.

Not to sway you away from earlies, but they normally don't have A/C, PB, ABS, or PS and the heaters suck trying to heat that big uninsulated interior. Most came with inline 6s and 3 on tree manual transmissions (I believe Fords rarely had automatics). The doghouse gets in the way of shoving stuff in there. 40+ year old brake lines, fuel lines, electrical wiring, etc. all need frequent repairs or replacing. If this truck is going to be your lifeline, your going to want something very reliable instead of a project truck.

Being in the trades the last thing I want to do after an exhausting day is make my way in traffic in a very hot (or cold) early with drum brakes.

BTW - If at all possible, I would try to save my pennies and maybe do the business part time to start. It really sucks running a business that has long term debt and the sooner you get out of that stupid hole, the better your chances of surviving the occasional downturn or hiccup. There are way-way too many issues in small business to discuss here, but that one really hits home. Just my 2 cents.

Anyways, welcome to the site 6tall. I'll get you some dimensions tomorrow if I have some time available.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:52 pm

I agree with those guys,,,the Early Vans are primitive and unsafe,,,,but they sure are COOL!!!! the dimensions on a 90 inch wheelbase Chevy van are,,,,,the side and rear doors are 4 feet wide and 4 feet high,,,,then the floor from there runs 88 inches until it hits the Doghouse,,,,and its mostly 66 inches wide except for the rear wheelwells,,,,,you can run some long material under the passenger seat 158 inches long,,,,and the 2nd Gen Chevys come in 108 Wheelbase which adds another 18 inches to the bed,,,,,
    itruns
    itruns

Post by itruns Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:55 am

My A100 is as follows:

51" w x 47" h clear rear door opening. 48" between the wheel wells. +/- 86" rear doors to back of the dog house. +/- 100" to the seat back. 144" on top of the dog house to the dash.

You should be able to pick up 18" if you go with the 108" wb. The side doors shouldn't have the doghouse issue.

Good Luck - Larry
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:51 am

I would get a early just to advertise and drive around with. (It's a write off) then get a newer van for the workhorse.
    a66dave
    a66dave

Number of posts : 67
    Registration date : 2008-09-19

New guy question about measurements/dimensions Empty measurements

Post by a66dave Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:34 am

I have a schematic with all the measurements for a Dodge A100. Unfortunately I have no way of posting it here. The file is on record with the Yahoo A100 / A108 group in the "files" section. The diagram has ever conceivable demension shown.
    itruns
    itruns

Post by itruns Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:06 am

Hey Dave, Welcome to the site.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 7:25 pm