VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+4
eric67vanpkup
rhysaccess
EconoUSAparts
G-Man
8 posters

Questions about wiper motors

Questions about wiper motors Empty Questions about wiper motors

Post by Guest Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:28 am

Hey all, I had seen from time to time on ebay that some sellers are posting some Ford wiper motors. That led me by thought that some early Econos had either one-speed or two-speed types. Can someone tell us a bit more in what's best for our vans with the wipers operating - would having 2-speed setting be better?

What I'd like to know is whatever if the later Ford vans like the 3rd gen which comes with more than 2 speeds in the motors. Would these motors fit in earlier models? What about the wiper switches - some were made for one-speed, two-speed or more?

Which ones will match with the van's dashboard harness by what year by what code? It would be good idea to list which wiper motors would work for our vans.

Questions about wiper motors Empty Re: Questions about wiper motors

Post by Guest Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:36 pm

Gee, no one to post in something? I guess the wiper motors or switches aren't high in interest. Neutral Well, that's alright... I'll do a little experiment in the future to see if can get more than 2 speeds in there.
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:14 pm

63 I think it was just missed, someone should see it this time
    EconoUSAparts
    EconoUSAparts

Number of posts : 2198
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by EconoUSAparts Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:43 pm

More speeds is always better than one. Intermittent is cool too. It can be done but I dont have the specifics. Site member Fred Carello will know.
    rhysaccess
    rhysaccess

Number of posts : 103
    Registration date : 2010-02-07

Post by rhysaccess Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:02 pm

Hey there,

In fact wiper motors & switches are very much of interest - regrettably I have little to contribute.

The PO had installed a stereo in the dash of my van...that had smashed the connector block of the wiper motor. Having just imported the van and was trying to license it - working wipers was essential.

The wiper motors of locally produced Fords of a silmilar vintage didn't fit. In the end I found one out of a '65 Mustang that did. (crack habit would have been cheaper)

The wiper switch is now deffective (although temporarily repaired), casually looking for a replacement though none of what I've seen turn up on e-bay has the same pin format as on the back of the switch.

Regards,
    Rhys

Post by Guest Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:17 am

EconoUSAparts wrote:More speeds is always better than one. Intermittent is cool too. It can be done but I dont have the specifics. Site member Fred Carello will know.

Yes - exactly... to have intermittent in the switch would be cool, but at the same time I'm not sure when that feature was first installed? What I do know is that sometime in early 70s (maybe even late 60s) Ford vehicles had more than 2 speeds - I remember they had 3 speeds (slow-medium-fast).

Ryhs, thanks for your input - That had been my concern in what you just did in your van. Seems the big problem are that the wiper switches are different in many Ford models, it's possible that the wiring harness in the dashboards - even if in the same model year - are different?? What I'm trying to say is that somewhere there must be switches and plugs (of the harness) that are the same as in the '61-67 Econolines. Hm, so the '65 Mustang had the same switch - what other models might have?

So far, I see that the '61-63 had one speed and the '64-67 appears to have 2 speeds. What about the 3rd gen Econoline vans ('68-74) - what speeds do they have?
    rhysaccess
    rhysaccess

Number of posts : 103
    Registration date : 2010-02-07

Post by rhysaccess Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:06 pm

Hi 63Mercury,

The wiper motor was the same as a '65 Mustang (siingle speed) - can't say that the switch is the same on the 'stang.

Regards,
    Rhys

Post by Guest Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:16 pm

My 64 has two speeds. Intermittants would be nice.
    There was that movies about the guy who made the intermitant wipers and Ford tried screwing him. The first wipers intermitant was around 65 and on luxury cars then. By the late 60's if was offered on several cars. Trucks and vans came later.
    As for them fitting the swtiches. I think you may need to change some wiring and add a wire. You may have to buy an after market adaption.
    eric67vanpkup
    eric67vanpkup

Number of posts : 85
    Registration date : 2010-12-07

Questions about wiper motors Empty Question about wiper motors

Post by eric67vanpkup Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:14 am

Check the section "This is how its done" section on this forum on how to convert to intermittent wipers.It is named delay wipers.
    Vanner63
    Vanner63

Number of posts : 235
    Registration date : 2010-11-11

Post by Vanner63 Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:43 pm

Well Rhys, I do believe we have to be on something ( See drugs ) to play with these Econolines. Its funny, just tonight I put new wiper blades on my pickup and remembered when I turned them on that they only have one speed. Mine is a 1963. Intermittent wipers would be great.
    fmc56
    fmc56

Number of posts : 553
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by fmc56 Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:23 pm

They made a vareity of wiper motors for these trucks. You must use the switch that matches the motor, The ideal setup is intermitent wipers. Since you have a 63 you will have to look for a 66-67 wiper motor, mounting plate and arm. It will bolt directly into your truck.The plug on the 66-67 is the same as later mode F-150 pickups. You wil need the switch and the control box from an F-150 orother fod pickup from the 80's or 90's. It was an option so you'll have to check to be sure they are intermitent. They use a rotary switch, it should have two positons in one direction and be adjustable in the other when you turn it. You will have to cut the shaft and file a flat spot to match the original Econoline switch, then it will bolt right into the dash using the original Econoline bezel and nut. The contrl box is delicate so when removing it do not hit it or drop it. It's mounted behind the dash above the e brake pedal. I mounted mine on the dash brackets for the radio. It will plug into the 66-67 Econoline wiper motor and the modified switch. You have to add a wire if you want to use the switch to operate your windsheild washers. I haven't done one in a few yeats but I think I covered everthing, if not Vic knows for sure.
    Fred
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1306
    Registration date : 2009-06-13

Post by Old Skool Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:00 am

did mine years ago,, and its the greatest. It will plug right into the 67 wiper motor plug, so its easier that way. Look in the F series trucks and the Broncos,,,,, peek inside the dash on them, and if the switch has a red plug on it,its the right switch.(two models, one intermittent ~~ red plug,,, one not intermittent ~~ black plug) On the Broncos, its stuffed up inside the dash in foam protection, on the F series trucks, the box is directly above the e brake handle, using one of its mounting screws. DO NOT DROP its even marked on the box. (sealed in epoxy)
    vic

Questions about wiper motors 100_0512

Questions about wiper motors 100_0717

Questions about wiper motors 100_0718

geek
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Number of posts : 2067
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by sasktrini Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:08 pm

That's cool, Vic! Hey 63Merc, I haven't been online in a while! I coulda chimed in that my 65 had two-spd from the factory.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:56 am