VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+3
Lyrad
61econoline
savage
7 posters

Ford rear end Questions

savage
    savage

Number of posts : 2626
    Registration date : 2008-05-15

Ford rear end Questions Empty Ford rear end Questions

Post by savage Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:48 pm

I just goot this van which what I was told had a Ford 9 inch in it(I know its a Chevy. The guy I got if from told me it had a Hemi & PG before he got it. With all that work I would of guess it was a posi??(Not Sad )
    [img]Ford rear end Questions R1-08720[/img]
    This is a pic of the rear end that has been highly mod for some HD use. It does have a 4 1/2 bolt pattern & the pig bolts in from front [img]Ford rear end Questions R1-08721[/img]
    I know its a krappy pic. But how can I tell what I have. I did jack it up and turned wheels & the other one didn't turn,so I guess its not a posi(bummer) How can I find out what it is(7,8,9), is there # on it someplace ,can I put posi in it from another car or truck(after I figure what it is) Does if have to be the same year?? Any help would be great.
    61econoline
    61econoline

Number of posts : 655
    Registration date : 2009-04-16

Ford rear end Questions Empty Re: Ford rear end Questions

Post by 61econoline Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:58 pm

an 8" you can get a socket on all bolts a 9" you cant get a socket with ratchet on lower passenger side bolt
    savage
    savage

Post by savage Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:22 am

Thank's for the info 61 E, I'll check that out when I get some better pics & look fo some kind of # on the rear end
    Lyrad
    Lyrad

Number of posts : 277
    Registration date : 2011-01-20

Post by Lyrad Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:18 pm

The only way to be sure would be to open her up and do an inspection, still could be a posi of some sort. try this site for more info. 4 1/2" bolt pattern means ford rims.

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/chassis/differential_rear_end_specs_tech/index.html
    savage
    savage

Post by savage Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:16 pm

Thank's for your imput & the link Lyrad. Took a few more pics of the rear end in the van
    [img]Ford rear end Questions Angola10[/img]
    Was going to get under it to look for # ,but snows melting so fast had river flowing
    [img]Ford rear end Questions Angola11[/img]
    [img]Ford rear end Questions Angola12[/img]
    mcfly
    mcfly

Number of posts : 626
    Registration date : 2008-11-10

Post by mcfly Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:43 am

I can't tell much from the pictures but the webbing does not look like a 9" inch to me , but I could be wrong. Might be from a later model car or truck.
    I need to see a picture of the other side of the pumpkin.

On a lighter note I think it may be time to change the date on your camera.

________
    mike
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:23 am

been a lot of years now for me -yet I think it looks like an older Chev -55 up truck? 55up was same yet in 57 they went to a larger axle bearing- sure looks like that to me -non ford.

Last edited by Twinpilot001 on Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:35 am; edited 1 time in total
    savage
    savage

Post by savage Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:12 am

Yea Mike I borrowed the camera from the guy who helped me go get the van. I guess he doesn't use the date mod?? You what to see back side of rear end?? does have a dran plug in it ?? Also its got a 4 1/2 bolt patteren,thats why I thought it was a Ford ??I "think" all this work was done around late 70,early 80's??
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1306
    Registration date : 2009-06-13

Post by Old Skool Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:43 pm

Here is a pic of our 9" rear axles,, and a super good info link on them also,,,
    vic
    http://www.kevinstang.com/Ninecase.htm

Ford rear end Questions 000_0510
    savage
    savage

Post by savage Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:54 pm

Thank's For the pic & link Vic. Alot to learn on the Ford 8 & 9 inch rears. Guess I need to look at the back side, like Mike said?? The front of mine kind of looks like the last 2 in your pic??
    chopteacher

Number of posts : 4
    Registration date : 2011-02-20

Post by chopteacher Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:31 pm

I may be wrong, but I gotta say that is a chevy rear end, with drop out center section from the 55-64 cars. If it was a ford 9" it would have a bolt in pinion support, which means another circular pattern around the yoke where your driveshaft bolts up. It isn't a 9 or an 8 by the pinion setup. The Chevy is a decent rear end , but not nearly as cheap to work on as a Ford 9, and I only know of 1 supplier of Posi chunks (Eaton). The four link with the leaf springs is just asking to get bound up when it gets loaded, unless you have sliders on the leaf spring perches, or the springs are cut off just behind the perches (can't tell in the pic), and you have coil-overs. Definately old school race setup! What a Face
    savage
    savage

Post by savage Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:50 am

Thank's for your imput CT. The thing I keep going back to is its got a 41/2 inch bolt pattern. Don't think the Chevy would?? But heck I don't know. Haven't found any tag or # yet(to muddy under it) But it does have the "hump "(& drain plug) on the back of it where the gear is?? Heck maybe its a Chrylser, rear end?? had motor & trans & push button shifter set up from one??
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1306
    Registration date : 2009-06-13

Post by Old Skool Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:59 am

Having a bud come by later today if he can, he deals in custom rear ends, and am sure he will nail it,, it for sure doesn't look like a nine at all. I'm thinking Chrysler?? but could be way out to lunch on this one. The four link is a good idea, but wonder why he set it up with drop limiters???????? was he planning on jumping as in off road??? Would be nice to see some better details on the springs and suspension part of it, as right now it looks kinda?????????
    vic
    savage
    savage

Post by savage Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:26 pm

I wish I knew what he was using it for Vic. Its got spring pads on both sides of axal tubes,springs have been fliped , got longer shackels on to lift it back up (??)& also got air shocks?? I couldn't figure out what the big U bolts around the rear were for?? Oh yea one more thing the rear end housing(axal shafs??) is smaller where the springs pads are?? I'll try to get some better pics and any # off it. Thank's for all and any info.
    Lyrad
    Lyrad

Post by Lyrad Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:37 pm

SWEET !!!!!!!!!!! Man if this ride could talk, amazing. My guess would be that it is some type of posi out of an early Chrysler late fifties. The fellow that built this is probaly a founding father of the crazzz that we all share...... Boggie Vans. A true pioneer of the passion we Dig. A good queston would be, Who is this guy? He should be in the "Vanning Hall of Fame". looks like he took an old Chrysler with a Hemi gutted it all out and put it in to the van that is now yours....cool. With all the tight set up on the suspension he may have drag raced that buggy, could be one of those wheelie vans that showed up at the early races.

Tell us more about the history of the van. You have a real gem there. Who built this babe?
    savage
    savage

Post by savage Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:19 pm

Got under the van & checked out rear & couldn't find any #s or any kind of casting marks(#)??[img]Ford rear end Questions 100_3810[/img][img]Ford rear end Questions 100_3811[/img][img]Ford rear end Questions 100_3812[/img]
    Still trying to find out who built this van & what he was useing it for[img]Ford rear end Questions 100_3813[/img]
    Lyrad
    Lyrad

Post by Lyrad Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:01 pm

ok so 10 bolts going around, it might be a chrysler 8.25" or Dana 35. limited slip would be my guess.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 3:27 am