VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+3
Twinpilot001
DanTheVanMan
rhysaccess
7 posters

Do windshield rubbers need sealant/mastic?

rhysaccess
    rhysaccess

Number of posts : 103
    Registration date : 2010-02-07

Do windshield rubbers need sealant/mastic? Empty Do windshield rubbers need sealant/mastic?

Post by rhysaccess Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:40 am

Howdy all,

The simple job of installing a roof lining & interior panelling in my van - has turned into that........+ strip & paint the interior + replace the windshield & side rubbers.

Given that the side window rubbers were pretty easy, I thought I'd change the windshield rubber I bought from Mac's myself.

Can it go on dry - or is the prevailing wisdom to use a windshield sealant at the time of installation?

Thanks & regards,

Rhys

DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Number of posts : 7900
    Registration date : 2008-10-08

Do windshield rubbers need sealant/mastic? Empty Re: Do windshield rubbers need sealant/mastic?

Post by DanTheVanMan Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:01 am

rhysaccess,
    It can go in dry but can be a bugger sometimes. I would only use actual sealer if the seal is damaged otherwise it's not really needed. Would recommend silicone lubricant, it will made your life easier during the install. And a couple of "Proper tools" will also make it much less frustrating.

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

Do windshield rubbers need sealant/mastic? Qr_cod10

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Do windshield rubbers need sealant/mastic? Empty Re: Do windshield rubbers need sealant/mastic?

Post by Twinpilot001 Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:24 am

most all window shops use a liquid rubber compound in a pump type can application after w/s in in - keeps all from leaking water after installed and coming back to the shops. Id highly reccomend it - napa sells the stuff.
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8729
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by dix Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:50 am

I USED LIQUID KITCHEN SOAP , YOU WILL NEED A HELPER.
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Post by Twinpilot001 Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:51 pm

@ helpers usually as I watch & have a beer . beers also cheaper than a wage on sundays
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Post by Twinpilot001 Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:54 pm

By the way here - usually ive had great luck going by some auto glass shops and asking the installers if they want some after hours work or weekends . Cheap & experienced .

Post by Guest Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:06 pm

My first Econo had no sealer in the windsheild when I bought it. It leaked like a sieve.

When I replaced the glass in my current Econo, I asked the guy not to put sealer in because I plan on painting the van soon and will pop the windshield for that. It's leaks like a sieve too.

So in my experience, sealer is required. Also, the glass guy said the sealer is safer too because in an accident, the glass is less likely to pop out, and so are you!

Btw, I also asked a glass guy if he'd do an after hours thing... $40 vs. $100+! But now I know the trick, it's not too hard to do with the rope.
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:05 pm

In my experience, installing without sealer is asking for leaks.
    I'm talking about the seal to body area, not the seal to glass, although it may need some too.
    The metal isn't perfectly smooth and flat, and can use help since the seal is larger there.
    If the body and interior are nice, it's a good idea to mask off the area to prevent mess. Make sure to mask a bit away from where the seal rests, since you don't want to pull the tape back out from the seal once it's in.
    rhysaccess
    rhysaccess

Post by rhysaccess Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:07 am

Hey fellas,

Thanks for your replys.

Seems to me like sealer might be a good idea......other than mess, it can't seem to hurt.

I'll use my sons to help me put the screen in - probably another test to our relationship.

Thanks & regards,
    Rhys
    Do windshield rubbers need sealant/mastic? New_fo10
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Post by Twinpilot001 Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:23 am

she's Lookin Good!!
    southern man
    southern man

Number of posts : 486
    Registration date : 2008-05-21

Post by southern man Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:17 am

Can the sealer be used even after the windshield is already in place?
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Post by Twinpilot001 Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:58 pm

yes- even for years after
    rhysaccess
    rhysaccess

Post by rhysaccess Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:07 am

Howdy all,

Nice sunny day in this part of the world - so it gave the opportunity to sand, mask and put the dash & interior in primer. While moderate for here, the 32 degree (around 90 deg F) day made the work a little hot in the direct sun. And exhausting.

Hope to get home from work early tommorow to spray the Dupont 2-pack red.

Then lots to assemble. And then the windshield to fit.
    Do windshield rubbers need sealant/mastic? Dash10
    Do windshield rubbers need sealant/mastic? A_pill10

Regards,
    Rhys
    Vanner63
    Vanner63

Number of posts : 235
    Registration date : 2010-11-11

Post by Vanner63 Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:02 pm

Hi Rhys, nice van. But isn't the steering wheel on the wrong side? Just kidding LOL That really is a nice van. Did you import it or was it already in Australia? By the way, beautiful country down there. Had a chance to visit while doing joint military work with the Air Force years ago.
    rhysaccess
    rhysaccess

Post by rhysaccess Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:57 am

Howdy all,

Painted the dash (for the 2nd time) this weekend. And the rest of the interior.

Just need to put the windshield in now.......which was what this thread was supposed to be about.

And twday - yes some might argue the steering wheel is on the wrong side. Not me of course, (imported it from LA) - unless I'm in a fast food drive through or parking ticket dispenser.

Regards,
    Rhys
    Do windshield rubbers need sealant/mastic? Sunday10

Do windshield rubbers need sealant/mastic? Sunday11
    Vanner63
    Vanner63

Number of posts : 235
    Registration date : 2010-11-11

Post by Vanner63 Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:09 am

Wow Rhys,

I never gave those two places much thought but I guess you better hope you have a passenger along, LOL. It always surprised me that Ford did not market the Econoline in Australia as they did the Falcon and its derivatives. Yours is looking mighty fine. Hope you post a lot of pics while you are working on it and the finished product.

T.W.
    rhysaccess
    rhysaccess

Post by rhysaccess Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:02 am

Howdy all,

Windshield and new seal are in. I used windsheild mastic - and it seals nicely.

With the interior painting done, and the windshield in.......I can start to fit the full hoodlining I've made. The front piece anyway.

I've been advised that the late dash pad & glovebox lid I bought in December will be here soon - fitting that will be the next job.
    Do windshield rubbers need sealant/mastic? Sunday10
    Do windshield rubbers need sealant/mastic? Sunday11
    Regards,
    Rhys

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 5:50 pm