VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

Front Axle Question

southern man
    southern man

Number of posts : 486
    Registration date : 2008-05-21

Front Axle Question Empty Front Axle Question

Post by southern man Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:36 am

I'm going to post this here rather than on the Econoline page with the hopes of getting the best response. Moderaters please feel free to move this if I've committed a faux pas.

I have a '64 Econoline that the previous owner installed a front drop axle in. The road clearance is only about 2 1/2 inches and because of that, and some other issues, I'm seriously considering restoring it to a stock set up.

How hard is it to locate one? Is it something unique to the Econolines? The springs seemed to have been relocated inward a bit so I'm not even sure these are the originals and would probably want to get the whole assembly. I don't know of any junkyards around here that have an early Ford (but I haven't checked for sure yet).
    Any idea of what price range I might be looking at? (I know that's a hard question, but just a ballpark estimate would be helpful.) Is this going to be a major undertaking? Haven't attempted something like this before.
    Thanks,
    Jeff
    Scott
    Scott

Number of posts : 1651
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Front Axle Question Empty Re: Front Axle Question

Post by Scott Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:17 am

Hello Southern Man,

I'm not an Econo guy, but can keep my eyes peeled for them while parts hunting.

So the question is, where are you? Because it wont do you any good for me to find parts in DFW area if your not in the DFW area.
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:54 am

southern man that's what this site is for. If you have questions or looking for parts ask away. As for your parts you need I bet EconoUSAparts has what your need or can tell your where to get them. Also member fmc56 may have what you need. Send them a PM just in case they don't see this post.
    southern man
    southern man

Number of posts : 486
    Registration date : 2008-05-21

Post by southern man Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:56 am

Thanks for the tips. I am in South Carolina, and I realize that shipping might drive the price up quite a bit for something that large and heavy. Just trying to examine all my options.
    itruns
    itruns

Number of posts : 1605
    Registration date : 2008-07-03

Post by itruns Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:29 pm

Just thinking out loud - You might consider trying to find a donor truck. You not get to see if the springs are OK, but you also get the reference points and a bunch of extra parts and scrap that may make it worth your while.

I know Tim hooks up a trailer and goes to the van shows with lots of parts. You might be able to save some in shipping that way.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 4:31 am