VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

So you think you have safe tires?

m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Number of posts : 1778
    Registration date : 2008-10-06

So you think you have safe tires? Empty So you think you have safe tires?

Post by m1dadio Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:49 am

In the aircraft repair business we track everything made of "rubber like" materials because they decay as they age. The tires and "O-ring and hoses have dates on them and are no longer acceptable for use after a specified time from the date of manufacture. Usually 5 years Even when stored in an environmentally controlled rooms. I can explain why this happens but you have to ask.

Have a look at this video; there is a commercial at first. The most important information you should know is towards the end.

http://abcnews.go.com:80/Video/playerIndex?id=4826897

You think you get what you pay for when you buy something new!!

I bought a brand new 2009 Malibu from the dealer in Dec 2009 with roughly 3 miles on it. It now has about 7500 miles on it. It has had one leaking tire and one broken belt already. The tires on the "NEW" car I bought were made in 2006!!!!!!

M1D

Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

So you think you have safe tires? Empty Rubber parts

Post by Twinpilot001 Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:18 am

Yes =so true - all rubber parts are affected by age, moisture & sunlight , tempartures. when i lived in south texas for 40 years - usually the exhaust systems were junk after 2 years- & i was 250 miles from salt water! Yet humidity was always high. here in the Northwest- now 23 years -i have yet to replace ant exhaust parts -pipes/ mufflers included -- even on the cars i brought from texas with me - Humidity is low here - effect= everything
    ViewMaster
    ViewMaster

Number of posts : 117
    Registration date : 2008-05-26

So you think you have safe tires? Empty Re: So you think you have safe tires?

Post by ViewMaster Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:41 pm

Thanks m1dadio, learn something new everyday. I've looked at those numbers many a time wondering what they were.

Post by Guest Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:54 pm

There is another thread on these forums about this.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:53 pm