VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

Rear main seal advice

Rear main seal advice Empty Rear main seal advice

Post by Guest Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:17 pm

Hey dose anyone have any advice on replacing the rear main seal? My shop manual says that the bottom is "eaisly replaced" but to replace the upper half one must remove the crank shaft. What I would like to know if there is a way around this.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Rear main seal advice Empty Re: Rear main seal advice

Post by donivan65 Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:31 pm

maybe,,,,,,,,If you have an automatic trans, you might be able to undo the torque convertor bolts and loosen the bearing caps to lower the crankshaft down a little to get that upper seal out,,,,
    organ grinder

Number of posts : 149
    Registration date : 2008-10-11

Post by organ grinder Sun Oct 12, 2008 1:04 am

Depending on which type of upper seal you have, a rope style (which in most cases it is if it's the original) or a rubber seal. The rubber seal can usually be pushed out by using a thin piece of metal (I use the metal out of an old wiper refill blade) If it's the rope style and has a manual transmission, the tranny will have to come out. Then loosen all the main bearing cap bolts and drop the crankshaft down enough to get clearance to remove and replace the seal. When installing the seal make sure it's the correct way!
    itruns
    itruns

Number of posts : 1605
    Registration date : 2008-07-03

Post by itruns Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:45 am

Hey organ and unclefester, welcome to the site.

Looks like organ grinder may have some experience turning a wrench.

Rear main seal advice Empty rear main seal

Post by Guest Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:01 am

Thanks for the advice guys,it is a split type seal and not the rope seal typ. Im hoping I can push the old one out with the new one with out having to losen or drop the crank shaft,dose anyone know if this will work?This is my first real time working on something outside of basic simple stuff.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:54 am