VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+3
EconoUSAparts
RodStRace
Twinpilot001
7 posters

Recomendations=? DVD Player, Radios, and GPS.

Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Recomendations=? DVD Player, Radios, and  GPS. Empty Recomendations=? DVD Player, Radios, and GPS.

Post by Twinpilot001 Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:23 am

Well = as I am in the planning stages- winter & snows here - I want some recomendations as to what is best for my 67 G10 van- DVD players, GPS Recievers - 2 dinn-single dinn stuff and radios- including amps & speakers?? many of you are very knowledgeable on these things and Im not- heck= I still have some am radios! in the cars-Help!! note= these are not portable units like some GPS are- want to have a really good trips coming and must satisify self & daughter on these trips. Thank You.
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Recomendations=? DVD Player, Radios, and  GPS. Empty Re: Recomendations=? DVD Player, Radios, and GPS.

Post by RodStRace Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:02 am

I go to crutchfield.com for car electronics reviews. Great prices, service and info!
    EconoUSAparts
    EconoUSAparts

Number of posts : 2198
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Recomendations=? DVD Player, Radios, and  GPS. Empty Re: Recomendations=? DVD Player, Radios, and GPS.

Post by EconoUSAparts Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:55 am

I ve used Crutchfield myself. I ve always been satisfied with them. Depending on the vehicle,install can be a breeze with the harnesses they provide. Tell them
    what you drive,and in a lot of cases they can hook you up with a harness that plugs right into the existing vehicle harness and no need to cut and splice wires or damage the stock harness should you choose to swap it back to stock later on.
    Roman
    Roman

Number of posts : 822
    Registration date : 2010-09-10

Post by Roman Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:29 pm

Are you looking for one unit with a large LCD display that plays CDs and has a DVD player and GPS?
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Number of posts : 7900
    Registration date : 2008-10-08

Post by DanTheVanMan Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:26 pm

Eight----- Track--------Tape....... Very Happy

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

Recomendations=? DVD Player, Radios, and  GPS. Qr_cod10

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-
    EconoCarl
    EconoCarl

Number of posts : 1109
    Registration date : 2008-05-19

Post by EconoCarl Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:02 pm

As for a GPS, Santa upgraded my Garmin to a 1490LMT. I liked the old Garmin, but this one is tons better! Bigger screen, calls out street names, traffic alerts, bluetooth compatible, etc. Won't leave home without it!
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Post by Twinpilot001 Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:15 pm

I love it Dan- ever heard of the 4 track tapes?? Ive still got some of those!!
    EconoUSAparts
    EconoUSAparts

Post by EconoUSAparts Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:30 pm

DanTheVanMan wrote:Eight----- Track--------Tape....... Very Happy

And lets not forget the FM converter to go along with the underdash 8 track:-)
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794

Post by Digz Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:34 pm

I picked up an FM converter at a yardsale last summer,,,,now if I could find a working AM radio that fits the hole in the dash ,,,,LOL
    EconoUSAparts
    EconoUSAparts

Post by EconoUSAparts Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:42 pm

My first van,which is in my avatar actually came with one installed and working. I still have it. Some things I just cant part with due to their historic nature.
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Post by Twinpilot001 Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:33 am

yes i am looking for a large screen display unit. My daughter wanted a cell phone for xmas & i did give her 2 tin cans 7 they were hooked between a long string!! Wasnt that the way we all started/ Forbid when all we had were am radios in our drivers .
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Number of posts : 7900
    Registration date : 2008-10-08

Post by DanTheVanMan Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:36 pm

Digz wrote:I picked up an FM converter at a yardsale last summer,,,,now if I could find a working AM radio that fits the hole in the dash ,,,,LOL

Joe, I have my original AM radio that was in my van.... Smile

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

Recomendations=? DVD Player, Radios, and  GPS. Qr_cod10

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-

Post by Guest Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:02 pm

I like Pioneer or Clarion DVD players. Clarions can be pricey though.
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Post by Twinpilot001 Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:56 pm

Thanx ill look at them both- what about speakers & amps?/
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794

Post by Digz Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:20 pm

I was guilty of the Dash AM, 8 trk a CB and the FM converter and a whopper of a 15 watt booster LOL

Post by Guest Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:43 pm

Pioneer speaker, subs and amps are good as are Clarion although again Clairion can be pricey depending on what you want. If you are looking for top quality amps then Arc Audio amps are the best in my opinion. Far better than Pioneer or Clarion, kenwood etc but are expensive. I have have A Clarion DVD player in my 65 Econo with two Arc Audio amps, two Clarion 12" subs and 8 Clarion 6x9 5 way speakers along with a 32" Visio flat screen, a 17" flat screen, two screens on the sun visors, a 7" screen in the DVD player, a 7" screen for back up camera and a 7" screen for the GPS. My system cost around $8000.00 for everything including the two Optima batteries and the 3500 watt power inverter,30 farad capacitor, wiring etc. I also installed a 200 amp alternator which I recommend if you plan to use some big amps. Use one battery for the sound system and one to start the van. My system is very loud and crystal clear due to the high quality amps and speakers. I am using all Pioneer in my 61 and had all Pioneer in my multi award winning Vanishing Breed.
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Post by Twinpilot001 Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:23 am

Ok - heres one for ya- when i was a great deal YOUNGER- like =35-40 years back I installed a CB in my corvette- then hooked up a 150 watt amp into it for transmitting (illegal) and could actually overpower the radios in the cars in front of me on the interstate- actually got many girls to pull over & meet that way=Smile) Was really fun. Now i just want some nice tunes an amp and Speakers with a GPS - so I can find the next rest room in style!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Guest Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:33 pm

I would go with Pioneer then. Great quality at an affordable price.
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Post by Twinpilot001 Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:29 pm

Thans I likely will- good advice- yet -- what im not knowing is anything about amps & speakers yet?/ Help-whats everyone using/advise/?

Post by Guest Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:54 pm

Use the Pioneer amps, subs and 6x9 speakers. Pioneer has put out great products for decades. You don't more than 600 watts on the amp for the 4 6x9s and if you use Pioneer subs an 800 watt sub will work just fine. The Pioneer head unit puts out 200 watts of power, 50 per channel( 6x9) speaker so unless you have your heart set on using subs you will only need a 300-600 watt amp for the 6x9s. You will get great sound and you won't need the extra battery or 200 amp alternator, a 100 will work just fine. If you go with two amps and subs then you will need two batteries and a bigger alternator otherwise when you run your sound system and headlights the lights may go dim because the amps are drawing more power than your battery and alternator can handle.

Post by Guest Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:25 pm

For amazing sound quality at a mid-level price, check out Boston Acoustics. I've got their components in my 67 and a full amp/component set up in my altima. I've had good luck with sony, jvc, and pioneer decks and found that pioneer has the best in-dash ipod control interface. .02!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 11, 2024 5:32 pm