VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+3
austinmodhouse
jkr
Casimier
7 posters

TITLE COMPANY......Can Anyone Recommend a GOOD One?

Casimier
    Casimier

Number of posts : 864
    Registration date : 2010-07-26

TITLE COMPANY......Can Anyone Recommend a GOOD One?  Empty TITLE COMPANY......Can Anyone Recommend a GOOD One?

Post by Casimier Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:04 pm

So the van is coming.....guy says he can't find the title...what do I do?
    Here in New Jersey you have to have a title just to park it in your driveway.

Some of the custom car guys in the area have ways around things..... but I don't mind doin the right thing and spending some money.

Any recommendations? I need your help.
    jkr
    jkr

Number of posts : 1148
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

TITLE COMPANY......Can Anyone Recommend a GOOD One?  Empty Re: TITLE COMPANY......Can Anyone Recommend a GOOD One?

Post by jkr Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:04 pm

check and see if it is age exempt first. some older vehicles don't require a title.
    austinmodhouse
    austinmodhouse

Number of posts : 575
    Registration date : 2010-07-30

TITLE COMPANY......Can Anyone Recommend a GOOD One?  Empty Re: TITLE COMPANY......Can Anyone Recommend a GOOD One?

Post by austinmodhouse Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:21 pm

if the seller is the real owner, he should be able to get a duplicate using a lost title form... that would be the ideal solution.

I had to get a bonded title for an airstream I bought when I found the seller had never titled it and the guy he had bought it from had since deceased. it was a real hassle (I'm in tx, not NJ) but I had to first get the DMV to fail the title application, then get a dealer to appraise it, then go to a bonding agency and then I was able to get a bonded title and after a set amount of time I was able to get a regular title.
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:47 pm

Darn, I guess this even comes up here where the stuff isn't real old and valuable... Sad
    First, carefully impress on the seller that you purchased the vehicle with the understanding that you would get a title. Try to get them to provide a title for the vehicle, in their name and from the state they reside. This will be the best for you. If they blow you off, you have some legal recourse, but there is an old gypsy curse: May you have a lawsuit where you KNOW you are right....

Next, make sure you understand the basics of YOUR state's laws. What applies in one is NOt the same as another. Search for your local Motor Vehicle Department or whatever it's called where you are. It will be boring, hard to read and there will be a lot of info spread out all over. It is in your best interest to understand what applies to you before you go in and ask questions.
    Print out any forms you may need and read them carefully. It's better to understand the process and have all the paperwork on your first visit.

Now to your question, any state that issues titles (some still do not) are well aware of these "title co.s" and how they operate. The states are cracking down on these types of operations and even making legit state-to-state transfers much more difficult. I would not suggest going down this path unless the vehicle is very valuable and rare (vans are not yet), it has a history back to new that shows it is not stolen or salvaged (and then why is the title lost?) or the state you live in offers NO other way to get a legitimate title. They are bad news now and some states are going back through the older records and catching the ones already on the books. All states are feeling the budget pinch and this is an easy way for them to grab more money.
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8732
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by dix Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:05 pm

call triple a auto club in your area they will know what the state will require and the state trust them my question or consern is do you know this was not a stolen car/van ??? .
    m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Number of posts : 1778
    Registration date : 2008-10-06

Post by m1dadio Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:22 pm

Call the governing body (state DOT) or look it up on line and find out what the rules and fees are for your self. They get that alot and have rules on how to fix it. Don't go on some body elses heresay, get the facts.

I would hold back some payment from the seller until a tilte is secured.

m1D
    BILLS66
    BILLS66

Number of posts : 1383
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by BILLS66 Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:27 pm

If he is the registered owner it will be easier. Bill

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 7:54 am