VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

the brake light

the brake light Empty the brake light

Post by Guest Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:44 pm

when someone steps on the pedal those lights dont turn on
    i jumped the cables and the light showed up..
    do the cables that connect to the master cylinder have a set order.??
    what is that part that those cables connect to?? maybe i need one of those..
    fmc56
    fmc56

Number of posts : 553
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

the brake light Empty Re: the brake light

Post by fmc56 Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:06 pm

If you have a 61-66 you have a pressure type switch that the wires plug into. It's probably no good or the connections are corroded. Most auto parts stores should have them, most Fords with single reservoir master cylinders used the same switch. The wires can go on either way.
    Fred

Post by Guest Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:36 pm

i have to press real hard to get my lights to come on. now i wonder if its the pressure switch is there any way to test switch
    itruns
    itruns

Number of posts : 1605
    Registration date : 2008-07-03

Post by itruns Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:26 pm

Reducer coupling and some low pressure compressed air?

FYI - Here are a couple push type switches (go to page 2):

http://www.hotrodwires.com/cart/tek9.asp?pg=products&grp=14

Last edited by itruns on Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:10 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : "go to page 2")
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:35 pm

There is not to much to check on that type of brake light system. You connected the wires together and the lights came on, so the circuit is good. Next you make sure the connections on the switch are clean and tight and thats it,,,,,if they don't come on when you step on the pedal, its a bad switch. (You could just loosen the switch a little while pushing on the pedal to bleed out any air,,,that might help.) You could hook a test light to ground and test how much pushing it takes to cause the switch to activate the brake lights. You really need fast brake lights rather than they come on after you stop,,,,,,,I think if I did not like the way my Van brake lights acted, I would just bolt one of these GM types to the floor where the arm just rests on the brake arm, and as soon as you touch the brake pedal, the arm drops and puts the brake light on,,,,,

the brake light Workin48
    itruns
    itruns

Post by itruns Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:14 am

Also, if you go to the dual master cylinder system, just hook that baby up and your good to go (and stop).
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:04 am

One thing that happens is that everyone wants to come up REAL CLOSE to check out these Vans. And they are more busy taking a picture with their cell phone than paying attention to their driving. And they tailgate to get a better look,,,,,,,,,,,and,,,,,I HATE TAILGATERS,,,,,,,so thats why with a mechanical brake light switch you can just tap the brakes and your brake lights come on and hopefully they get the message and BACK OFF,,,, I would even put Yugo brake light switch on my van if it meant keeping someone from running into the back of it and ruining my world,,,,,,,,
    itruns
    itruns

Post by itruns Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:37 am

That's the nice thing my wife's desiel Jetta does. Throw it down a gear and let the turbo blow all that black smoke out the tailpipe.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 16, 2024 7:34 pm