VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+2
jkr
Chris&Adam
6 posters

Are these the correct locks?

Chris&Adam

Number of posts : 12
    Registration date : 2010-10-14

Are these the correct locks? Empty Are these the correct locks?

Post by Chris&Adam Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:57 pm

Hi

Still searching for some locks for the front doors of my '69 A108. Just found these on ebay:

Click for link

Could anyone tell me if they are the correct type for the van.

thanks in advance
    jkr
    jkr

Number of posts : 1148
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Are these the correct locks? Empty Re: Are these the correct locks?

Post by jkr Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:56 pm

looks correct. theres gotta be a more reasonable priced set somewhere.

on another note; the lock cylinders in dodge are all very close in hole size and could be swapped out of just about anything up to the late 90's i think. if your not into 100 point restoration you could try a lock from something else. remove the e-clip off the back and reuse the flat lever the rod attaches to and you might get away with it. i used to repair them all the time but the pin type tumblers are hard to find now. i have a few old locks with the pins still in them and i know i could make up a set. i would need the four door locks and the ignition switch and one key.
    just noticed your address, the united kingdom don't have a lot of salvage yards with spare dodges laying around. Embarassed
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Are these the correct locks? Empty Did u see where the locks are at=?/

Post by Twinpilot001 Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:43 pm

Istanbul turkey- yes - send ur credirt card # over there!! Just tryin to protect the great group.
    jkr
    jkr

Number of posts : 1148
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by jkr Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:10 pm

Twinpilot001 wrote:Istanbul turkey- yes - send ur credirt card # over there!! Just tryin to protect the great group.

never looked at that !!! like some dude in turkey has a set of those locks. just tell e-bay to delete the listing.
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:22 pm

There is supposed to be the early style as shown in the auction which are harder to find, and a later style, which is flatter and more common. I don't know the year break.

NAPA has NEW locks available, don't know if they are 100% correct.
    Echlin Ignition ECH DLK30 22.49 for a matched pair.

On the sweptline site there was a post that they are larger diameter than stock (truck) locks.

Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:43 pm

Here where I live=spokane wa. There is an really old couple operating a locksmith buisness. This couple has forgotten more than most newre locksmiths will ever know . I took my 67 door lock in there to have a key made- had the # on the thing. Lady ask me what yera & make vehicle -i tell her she says - without looking at any book or computer - tahts= a #### blank and = code is #### do u want 2 keys?? Yes - ok that will be 10 bucks - we even have the ignition switches & key sets for any vans in stock. we acn key anything=Smile) So if any one wants me to chack with them id be happy to do so- If u need keys made just get me the codes stamped on the lock barrells. also if ur running an econo=??? take the door lock out of the pass side door she tells me as the drivers & other doors dont sometimes have the numbers. If u need the door cylinders ill check on thos e also. Thanx=trying 2 help all.
    Chris&Adam

Number of posts : 12
    Registration date : 2010-10-14

Post by Chris&Adam Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:01 am

Thanks for all your replies.

We are not 100% set on them being a correct original set, bought some off ebay US a while ago thinking that they were the correct style, but the barrel is too long and hits the window drop channel, these are the flush fit later type, the same as the ones sold by NAPA (Echlin Ignition ECH DLK30). The problem is we do not have a set of original locks and keys to compare to, as a previous owner of the van smoothed off all the locks and fitted a remote central locking kit.

Yeh JKR we tend to struggle on finding old dodge vans in the scrapyards around here haha, to be honest there cant be that many A108 in the country at all, not sure on the exact figure but would think its not even into double figures.

The location of the locks was one of the reasons I was unsure of purchasing them, and posting the information on here. However, I checked the guys feedback and all is good just not many transactions to date, but noticed one buyer (thomas-j-sestak-autoparts) had bought a couple of sets of these door locks and is selling them for a lot more in the states from there own ebay shop??

Click for link

Anymore advice/info would be greatly appreciated.
    terencejiminy
    terencejiminy

Number of posts : 62
    Registration date : 2008-09-08

Post by terencejiminy Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:21 am

These are NOT for a 68 to 70.
    These are the 64 to 67 locks. Fit in the what was called "Flower Vase" opening in the door. Looks like maybe a 5/8" hole with a verticle slut above. Rolling Eyes
    Locks for your 68 or newer are still available NEW from AU-VE-CO in Kentucky, with keys. probably half the price too. Go in the round hole. Very Happy
    Ter'
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:57 am

Ter, great to see you here!
    So the 68-up are covered by the AU-VE-CO offerings.
    What about the earlier ones, anyone have these? I'd like a new set for my 66.
    slowflapper
    slowflapper

Number of posts : 956
    Registration date : 2010-07-29

Post by slowflapper Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:15 am

Check with Wildcat Mopars, they'll probably have them.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 10:41 am