VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

2nd Gen water leaks

veefre
    veefre

Number of posts : 424
    Registration date : 2008-09-10

2nd Gen water leaks Empty 2nd Gen water leaks

Post by veefre Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:56 pm

Just wondering if anyone else has resolved this issue.

Now, I know most older vehicles tend to spring leaks around the windshield, and that may be the problem here, but I'm trying to narrow it down.

I drove the van in the rain about a month ago and noticed water dripping on top of the floor mats. I wondered if it was being forced in by the wind through the vent system. I dried it up and then I parked the van and forgot about it.

The van has been sitting uncovered for the past few weeks - it was dry when it was parked. We've had a lot of rain in the past week or two, and now I discover that a fair amount of water has leaked from the front sheetmetal and/or windshield and collected under the floor mat. The leaks tend to come at the sides, drives foot well (above windshield washer reservoir and fuse panel) as well as on the passenger side (above the heater, I think). Most of it seems to run down the forward wall and gets under the floor mat that way.

This SEEMS to point to a leaky windshield gasket, but before I go smearing silicone sealer all over the universe, I'm wondering if there are other penetrations or water leak suspects that I could address first. Like wiper mounts, or squirter mounts, etc. Even the vents.

Any ideas? And what's the best way to re-seal a leaky windshield if that's what it turns out to be? Pull the windshield (it's pitted and has some tiny dings and could use replacing anyway) and use a new gasket?

For the moment I'm just putting newspaper under the floor mat and changing it when it gets damp. This leaking has been going on for a while, it seems, as I scraped the loose rust away last summer and treated the floor wells under the mats with a rust-resisting red primer. Even patched some rusted through spots with JB Weld.

The new windshield will probably wait until dry weather, although I suppose I could park it under cover, let everything dry out, and replace it before then.
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

2nd Gen water leaks Empty Re: 2nd Gen water leaks

Post by Digz Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:59 pm

Somebody tell me if I am wrong ,but I think there is a gasket of some kind that seals the air box above the grill opening,(front skin to inner panel). Mine falls down once in a while, but it also I think has an opening near the center to drain ? Maybe this is plugged up with debris ? and causing a back up of sorts.
    Just a thought.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:54 pm

If the gasket is leaking, the dash will be wet on top, right under the gasket. I would peel up the gasket at the bottom on the outside and look for rust holes

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:10 pm